Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

08 Civic center console help (latch)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
purplepills is an unknown quantity at this point
08 Civic center console help (latch)

My center console will not close (latch issue). So I took it apart and realized one of the loops that hold it in place snapped. I found the piece and glued it back in place. But I cannot seem to understand how the spring is set up for the latch. One piece obviously goes into the latch itself. But for the life of me cannot see how/where the other piece of the spring clips to or fits in that allows the spring to have that springy action that closes the lid.

Any ideas?

PS I saw a couple posts here about this, but those all speak to buying a new piece. Not so much fixing it. Any input appreciated (Sorry if this has been asked, but I did search first).
Old 08-05-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 08 Civic center console help (latch)

Have you looked at 8th gen site much ?? Quite a few threads and info.
Old 08-05-2014
Registered!!

I did use forum search plus a google search led me here. I found some posts on this. But none that said how to attach the spring.
Old 08-05-2014

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mecha...ht=armrest+lid

So you have no spring action at the release latch... correct ??
Old 08-05-2014
Registered!!

Thank you!!! And yes that is correct no spring action in latch. Through your link I found...
http://civic.hondafitjazz.com/A00/HT...404KBAT00.html

Should help a bunch... Again thanks.
Old 08-05-2014

I see a coiled spring to provide return.... maybe the tail at one end or other came loose and lost tension.

Or was the part that came loose that you glued back.
Old 08-05-2014
Registered!!

On the latch there are some loop like plastic pieces that came loose. THat allowed the latch to get out of place, also bringing the spring with it. One end of the spring obviously goes into the latch as there is a hole for it. But the other end has no such indicator. The diagram I found from your link may shed some light on that. The actual latch and spring seem to be just fine. It is just the mechanism that holds each in place that failed.
Old 08-05-2014

Sounds like the latch has broken where the metal pin goes to pivot/hinge and also secure latch to lid.

Only one end of spring will be in latch, other will likely be held tight to lid.

I think those latches breaking are common. Has a fair amount of spring tension.... and it's plastic.
Old 08-08-2014
Registered!!

BTW, I fixed my latch. Also it appeared the slide feature of the arm rest was broken. I also fixed that compliments of the link CraigW provided.

Thanks!!! Great community here.
Old 07-29-2020
Registered!!

Jessica Arciola is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by purplepills
BTW, I fixed my latch. Also it appeared the slide feature of the arm rest was broken. I also fixed that compliments of the link CraigW provided.

Thanks!!! Great community here.
HELP! 👋 So my console wouldn't stay shut so I bought the Latch piece (cause that's what I figured was the problem) and installed it myself from watching a YouTube video. But still having the same problem. So I'm thinking maybe I have the same issue as the OP but I don't understand the instructions.. Where would I take my car for someone to repair this? Honda? A body shop. A regular mechanic? I don't know. I just bought this car last year used. Thanks if anyone ever comes back here i would appreciate it.