Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

2006 Civic LX Manual Input Shaft Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
indynic is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 Civic LX Manual Input Shaft Bearing

I did a search and could not come up with anything for 8th gen. I found a lot of talk about 7th gen input shaft bearing issues.

I believe that the input shaft bearing is going bad on my car. It does not make any noise in neutral yet, but it has a "growling" noise in the first three gears during acceleration. Car has 136k miles on it.

Have there been a lot of issues with the transmission bearings on the 8th gen?

I am going to try to pull the transmission and replace the bearing. I am going to go ahead and install a new clutch, throwout bearing and pilot bushing while I am at it.

Should I change the rear main seal while I'm at it?

Are there any "how to's" already out there for this stuff?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2014
Registered!!

speedy25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2006 Civic LX Manual Input Shaft Bearing

Since you will have the trans out replace rear crank seal and input shaft seal. last clutch job I did I wasnt thinking and forgot the seal on the trans. Yep it gooped up my clutch and caused it to slip.

I hope your bearing can be replaced from the front.

-SP
Old 08-01-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I personally have not had to do any 8th gen ISB work as of yet, but I'm in a small dealer and we have very few customers with manual trans cars here.

I think the rear main seals have been reliable enough to not be a concern to me unless there is already evidence of a problem.
Old 08-18-2014
Registered!!

indynic is an unknown quantity at this point

Update:
I pulled the manual 5 speed transmission and replaced the input shaft bearing. I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, pilot bushing and throwout bearing as well.

The original input shaft bearing was worn out for sure. Looks like this generation civic manual transmission is not any better on input shaft bearings than previous generation civics.

Other parts in the transmission looked brand new. Almost no metal shavings on the magnet whatsoever. Gears were perfect, which they should be. I can count on one hand how many times I have missed a shift and I bought the car brand new, so no one else has driven it.

I left the rear main seal alone because there were no sign of leaks.

Hopefully, this input shaft bearing lasts another 136k. I don't really want to have to do that job again. It took me 10 hours to complete start to finish.
Old 09-23-2016
Registered!!

Mattymatt716 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Indynic- I pm'd you. ISB part #? And, is it significantly different than the 7th gen transmission? I need to get this done ASAP.