Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

this weird noise on my civic 2008 ex ,,, coming from near oil pressure sender ,,,

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ankurdabas is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: this weird noise on my civic 2008 ex ,,, coming from near oil pressure sender ,,,

Originally Posted by ezone
You haven't changed the oil yet?

The noise is not causing problems?

It's a machine. Machines are allowed to make some noise.
Compare to an identical car identical engine to see if that one makes noise too.
I did the oil change .. no luck here ....noise still persist..

I did compare other cars . Not a single one making noise like that ..
Old 07-30-2014
Registered!!

Re: this weird noise on my civic 2008 ex ,,, coming from near oil pressure sender ,,,

well starting again with the diagnosis ...

1. buzzing/hissing/whining noise coming from the driver side compartment of the engine .

2. first thought it was oil pressure sender unit . which it was not obviously .

3. noise increses a bit in volume when i slowly hit the gas paddle . and increases as i release it .

4. not appearing on the cold start , starts after 2 min of engine revving after long time parking like a day or so.

5. there are limited components on that side namely ,, a.. oil pressure sender. ( noise not possible )
b.. coolant bleed or drain valve. ( noise not possible)
c.. egr valve section . ( doubt ????)
d.. thermostat housing . (could b a leak ?)
e.. transmission . ( no noise during gear ***** and engaging clutch paddle )
f.. clutch slave cylender . ( doubt ? )

i am dead sure the noise is from driver side engine section ... share your thoughts ,,, i m dying for this noise ,,

to me it sounds like air rushing or air leaking sound , , , , , , , , , , , , help me now ,,,
Old 07-30-2014
Registered!!

this weird noise on my civic 2008 ex ,,, coming from near oil pressure sender ,,,

is it normal for a car to act normaly even after removing egr valve wiring plug ,?? for diagnosing a noise i did this ,, nothing happened after plugging it out ,, any thoughts ?? acc to me egr is making buzzing air leaking noise ,,

the guy with a green dot ,,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	25032011307.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	86922  
Old 07-30-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Uh, well the air intake runs under the battery, then back up behind it and into the engine, could there be a hole in the tube or perhaps a loose connection?

And as craig said, if you poke a hose into an engine bay and listen you will hear all sorts of weird noises, best to only trust your ear.
Chances are if you can't hear the noise over the rest of the engine noise without the hose, and the car is driving fine, there is nothing to be worried about.

Also, could a mod possibly combine the three threads he has started so we can keep all the information in the same place?
Old 07-30-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: is it normal ???

Originally Posted by ankurdabas
is it normal for a car to act normaly even after removing egr valve wiring plug ,?? for diagnosing a noise i did this ,, nothing happened after plugging it out ,, any thoughts ?? acc to me egr is making buzzing air leaking noise ,,
Yeah, I think if you unplug the EGR and plug up the holes your engine runs fine, just a little hotter. Did you try cleaning it out? How does the gasket look?

Last edited by Poopies; 07-30-2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: put it back into context lol
Old 07-30-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jordan1794

Also, could a mod possibly combine the three threads he has started so we can keep all the information in the same place?
I already did once yesterday, now there's a 3rd?

Ok......
Old 07-30-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

is it normal for a car to act normaly even after removing egr valve wiring plug ,?? for diagnosing a noise i did this ,, nothing happened after plugging it out
You will not notice any difference. The EGR system is only active while driving, and even then it's not active under some driving conditions. It is never activated at idle, so unplugging it should yield zero change.

Even if driving with it unplugged, 99% of drivers would not be able to discern any difference. (But the check engine light will be on, and gas mileage may suffer.)

,, any thoughts ?? acc to me egr is making buzzing air leaking noise ,,

the guy with a green dot ,,
It's possible there could be a vacuum leak originating in that area, as there is a passage to the intake manifold at the EGR valve and it goes through that thermostat housing/radiator hose casting. The gasket under the EGR valve could be leaking, and it could leak vacuum or exhaust since both run to the ports under the valve.

Get a smaller hose, like a vacuum tube or 6mm fuel hose (instead of that large tube that looked like a garden hose).
Listen around with that, go around the edges of the EGR valve base where it's bolted down.

Here's 3 views of the EGR housing I found with a google image search. Crappy small pics, all I could get are from ebay

One trick is to temporarily seal off the holes under the EGR just as a test. Unbolt the valve, lift it up, get a piece of thin cardboard (like cut from a shirt box or a cereal box) cut large enough to cover the area where the normal gasket sits, big enough to cover both of the working holes. Reinstall the valve to just tight enough to squash the cardboard in place and block both passages. Leave wires unplugged so the valve cannot operate. Test run to see if the leakage or noise is gone.

A new EGR gasket should be cheap.

HTH
Old 07-30-2014
Registered!!

You will not notice any difference. The EGR system is only active while driving, and even then it's not active under some driving conditions. It is never activated at idle, so unplugging it should yield zero change.

Even if driving with it unplugged, 99% of drivers would not be able to discern any difference. (But the check engine light will be on, and gas mileage may suffer.)

It's possible there could be a vacuum leak originating in that area, as there is a passage to the intake manifold at the EGR valve and it goes through that thermostat housing/radiator hose casting. The gasket under the EGR valve could be leaking, and it could leak vacuum or exhaust since both run to the ports under the valve.

Get a smaller hose, like a vacuum tube or 6mm fuel hose (instead of that large tube that looked like a garden hose).
Listen around with that, go around the edges of the EGR valve base where it's bolted down.

Here's 3 views of the EGR housing I found with a google image search. Crappy small pics, all I could get are from ebay

One trick is to temporarily seal off the holes under the EGR just as a test. Unbolt the valve, lift it up, get a piece of thin cardboard (like cut from a shirt box or a cereal box) cut large enough to cover the area where the normal gasket sits, big enough to cover both of the working holes. Reinstall the valve to just tight enough to squash the cardboard in place and block both passages. Leave wires unplugged so the valve cannot operate. Test run to see if the leakage or noise is gone.

A new EGR gasket should be cheap.

HTH
Dats a good idea .. thnxx .. will let yu know .
Old 07-31-2014
Registered!!

U mean if i do the thing u told me lyk putting cardboard on the egr valve plugs .. then it wont male a noise if this noise is egr related .??? If it still persists then it is smthing else ?????
Old 07-31-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

stop talking when you take a video about noise. I can only hear your voice...

U mean if i do the thing u told me lyk putting cardboard on the egr valve plugs .. then it wont male a noise if this noise is egr related .??? If it still persists then it is smthing else ?????
do it, if don't work, then you start worrying what else.
Old 07-31-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
stop talking when you take a video about noise. I can only hear your voice...

do it, if don't work, then you start worrying what else.
Hey .. dats a sexy ride u've got ...
Old 08-01-2014
Registered!!

hey guyz ,, today i found a nice clue ,, this noise dont appears on cold start ..
it comes when engine warms up for some time ,,

can you guys tell me if the egr valve works after warm up or instantly on cold start ??? this will give me a good clue in diagnosing the noise ,,

if my calculations are correct then i might get to a good conclusion....and my issue will b solved ,,,

bcoz it is air leaking type of noise as air rushes out or in from very small place simply like a whistle ,,, thnx
Old 08-01-2014
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

I have listened to your video a few times now. For a Civic, you have a lot of valve train noise or injector clatter. I am not sure what you are talking about since I hear a lot of background white noise. Get you a two ear stethoscope and see if you can pin point the noise. Has the engine ever been overheated. If so, I have see after this happens, there will be a bearing clack at the small end of the connecting rod or piston pin when the piston has seized and gauled and is now tight in the cylinder. It does it at the top of the stroke and at the bottom. It will be perfectly quite at start up but you can sit and listen and at the temperature comes up, it will start to get loud.
Old 08-01-2014

EGR does not operate when the engine is cold.
EGR does not operate when the engine is idling.
Old 08-13-2014
Registered!!

Sorry been a long time ...

Do tgese pics seems normal ???

Name:	IMAG0689.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	86977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0691.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	86978  
Old 08-13-2014
Registered!!

I also foind another clue .. thia noise comes at lower rpms.. abobe 1100 rpm noise goes away
Old 08-13-2014

Sorry been a long time ...

Do tgese pics seems normal ???
Yes those look like what I would expect to see if I removed the EGR valve.

I'd get it a new gasket.
Old 08-13-2014
Registered!!

Yes those look like what I would expect to see if I removed the EGR valve.

I'd get it a new gasket.
Hey dnt get annoyed when i ask u wat i m askin now ..
..coz its a dumb ques i know .. but still .newbie here .
U said and most of the sites says that egr stay omitted at idle
Then obviously there is barely a chance of noise from there. Isn't it ???
Then in that area or region there is one last possiblity left . I.e. cold air intake ..
. . Correct me if am wrong . Narrowing to the noise type. Its air hissing or buzzing type .
So where should i begin .. ??

Last edited by ankurdabas; 08-13-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2014

Hey dnt get annoyed
Wasn't annoyed at all. Was on lunch break, little time to type a long reply.
Old 08-13-2014

U said and most of the sites says that egr stay omitted at idle
Then obviously there is barely a chance of noise from there. Isn't it ???
That was my thought, that's one reason I wouldn't have suspected any issue from that part.

Then in that area or region there is one last possiblity left . I.e. cold air intake ..
. . Correct me if am wrong .
The stock filter housing inlet tubing is not very close to the location you are indicating, I wouldn't suspect an issue caused by it either.
Narrowing to the noise type. Its air hissing or buzzing type .
So where should i begin .. ??
The intake manifold is on the rear of the engine, listen in that area?

Trying again to establish if this noise is really a valid concern:
You cannot hear this from the passenger compartment while driving?
This noise is causing no problems with driving, operating the engine, and no engine warning light?

Try listening with a solid wooden dowel instead of tubing?
Try listening to/at/near parts that move, such as alternator, water pump, compressor, adjustment pulleys.

HTH
Old 08-13-2014
Registered!!

That was my thought, that's one reason I wouldn't have suspected any issue from that part.

The stock filter housing inlet tubing is not very close to the location you are indicating, I wouldn't suspect an issue caused by it either.
The intake manifold is on the rear of the engine, listen in that area?

Trying again to establish if this noise is really a valid concern:
You cannot hear this from the passenger compartment while driving?
This noise is causing no problems with driving, operating the engine, and no engine warning light?

Try listening with a solid wooden dowel instead of tubing?
Try listening to/at/near parts that move, such as alternator, water pump, compressor, adjustment pulleys.

HTH
Where should i start looking for vacuum leaks ??
Old 08-14-2014

In the fuel trim numbers? That's one place I'd be looking, in the scanner data.

Anyplace there would be vacuum present. That would be anything that has to do with the intake manifold and all its plumbing, including that one passage/port under the EGR valve.

But what if your noise is not a vacuum leak?
Old 08-14-2014
Registered!!

In the fuel trim numbers? That's one place I'd be looking, in the scanner data.

Anyplace there would be vacuum present. That would be anything that has to do with the intake manifold and all its plumbing, including that one passage/port under the EGR valve.

But what if your noise is not a vacuum leak?
well intake manifold is at the back of the engine block ,, but the sound is coming from the driver side where there is exhaust manifold at left hnd egr on top and radiator on the front ,, ... thats my concern here , thats y i m confused if its in intake manifold ,,

there is a l shaped plate which is placed to secure the oil pressure sender unit ,, the noise reflects from there ,, when i used a small hose then it was the only origin of the noise ,, thats y i previously asked yu if its that unit or smethng else ,, try to hear the noise again using headphones ,, i m sure yu will get some clue ,, it comes on low rpm and goes when i press the gas paddle ,, and returns when release it ,, comes at 800 - 1100 rpm ,,,

yu said it is the noise from pulley parts ,, i tested them with no belts on ,,, the noise was still there ,,

this noise never appears at the cold start ,, it comes after reviing engine for lyk 5 minutes or longer ,,

in the morning the engine sounds sweet ,, lyk its brand new ,, things get worse when i return home from college at noon ,,

machenincs here are dumb@$$ ,, they dont know much ,, all they said was its EGR ,, how the hell would a EGR valve make such noise at idle when its not even active ..

its not tranny m sure because there is no noise while driving or relasing or engaging the clutch paddle ,,,

radiator ,, noo , cnt find such clue that it could b radiator,,

whats last left is what yu just told ,, passage/port under EGR valve,,

nd thanx any way for ur efforts ,, yu are helping me a lot ,,

here is the figure below ,,, red part is what u mean as a port./ passage ryt ??

and green is the L shaped plate ( bcoz its not in the figure ) and yellow are the sound waves from red part ( the passage ) and i m hearing that noise in the black marked area ,, it may soubd stupid but this is ol i can imagine ..

Name:	R18-integrated-manifold.jpg
Views:	3617
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	86979  
Old 08-14-2014

all they said was its EGR ,, how the hell would a EGR valve make such noise at idle when its not even active ..

whats last left is what yu just told ,, passage/port under EGR valve,,

and green is the L shaped plate ( bcoz its not in the figure ) and yellow are the sound waves from red part ( the passage ) and i m hearing that noise in the black marked area ,, it may soubd stupid but this is ol i can imagine ..
Ok there IS the passage between the EGR valve and the intake manifold, it goes through the aluminum piece the EGR valve is bolted to (secured with 3 horizontal bolts), through the cylinder head and ends inside the intake manifold. Use your listening tube, angle it toward the bottom of that aluminum piece instead of aiming at the oil pressure switch. LIsten around the top of this piece too.
Between this piece and the cylinder head.

Picture again of the aluminum piece the EGR is bolted on, showing the side that mates against the cylinder head:

You can see 3 bolt holes, one dark hole should be the passage to the intake manifold, and the last hole should be for antifreeze.

Since there are antifreeze passages that go through the same gasket too, if you really had a vacuum leak there I would almost expect to be noticing coolant leakage too.

The original gasket is metal, I myself have not seen any problems with this.

----------------------------------------------

Idea:
COULD the noise have anything to do with your natural gas conversion?
Does running on gasoline only cause the engine to make the noise?
Does running on natural gas only cause the engine to make the noise?
ANy difference?

Idea:
With the engine running, remove the oil fill cap and notice if the noise changes or goes away. (engine will expel oil out of the hole so just open the cap just enough to vent any pressure or vacuum from the inside of the engine while it is running)
------------------------------------------

Again, if this noise you are hearing is not causing a problem, it might not be any problem.
Old 08-14-2014
Registered!!

Ok there IS the passage between the EGR valve and the intake manifold, it goes through the aluminum piece the EGR valve is bolted to (secured with 3 horizontal bolts), through the cylinder head and ends inside the intake manifold. Use your listening tube, angle it toward the bottom of that aluminum piece instead of aiming at the oil pressure switch. LIsten around the top of this piece too.
Between this piece and the cylinder head.

Picture again of the aluminum piece the EGR is bolted on, showing the side that mates against the cylinder head:

You can see 3 bolt holes, one dark hole should be the passage to the intake manifold, and the last hole should be for antifreeze.

Since there are antifreeze passages that go through the same gasket too, if you really had a vacuum leak there I would almost expect to be noticing coolant leakage too.

The original gasket is metal, I myself have not seen any problems with this.

----------------------------------------------

Idea:
COULD the noise have anything to do with your natural gas conversion?
Does running on gasoline only cause the engine to make the noise?
Does running on natural gas only cause the engine to make the noise?
ANy difference?

Idea:
With the engine running, remove the oil fill cap and notice if the noise changes or goes away. (engine will expel oil out of the hole so just open the cap just enough to vent any pressure or vacuum from the inside of the engine while it is running)
------------------------------------------

Again, if this noise you are hearing is not causing a problem, it might not be any problem.
found a new thing ,,, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hngi...ature=youtu.be ,,, what is this ,,

i want to kill this car
Old 08-15-2014

found a new thing ,,, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hngi...ature=youtu.be ,,, what is this ,,

i want to kill this car
Now THAT sounded normal to me, I can hear the injectors clicking.

It's an engine, it's supposed to make noise. There's a lot of stuff going on when an engine runs.
Old 08-15-2014
Registered!!

It's an engine, it's supposed to make noise. There's a lot of stuff going on when an engine runs.
That repeatedly krrr krrrr noise at 0:09 12 15 .. thats not norml
Old 08-15-2014

I think someone else already said: If you stuff a microphone up in there you will hear all kinds of stuff.
Old 08-21-2014
Registered!!

The video i posted last tym . Does it sound like air in power steering system??
=
Just a guess.
Old 08-21-2014

The video i posted last tym . Does it sound like air in power steering system??
=
Just a guess.
Look in the steering fluid reservoir. Is it low?
Look inside that reservoir while the engine is running. Does the fluid appear to be foamy? (aerated fluid)

To my ear, I did not think the noise sounded like air in the steering.

Quick Reply: this weird noise on my civic 2008 ex ,,, coming from near oil pressure sender ,,,