Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2007 Civic Starting Problems - (No Crank, Clicking coming from under steering collumn

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
epic2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2007 Civic Starting Problems - (No Crank, Clicking coming from under steering collumn

I have a 2007 EX Civic Auto Transmission.

Issue: Car will not start. Strange Clicking coming from under steering collumn / dash. It will not crank

Update: Clicking / electical sound coming from above fuse box behind coin holder. Best way to describe it is like an electical grunting type noise. (Hard to Explain)

Other Important note: We are just experiencing hot weather for the first time this year. EG Temps outside in the 80's. This issue has been worse on Hot clear days vs cold ones.

Car has given me zero problems up until now. For about a week we had hard cranking issues, felt like a dead / low battery. It would crank once or twice and then engage. Then I had no issues for about a week. Today it happened and I could not start the car at all. When I click past the II position to start all the Led's in the car go out and I hear a clicking /electrical sound from under the steering column / above fuse box area from an undetermined source.

Additional Background:
At first I thought this was a bad battery. The battery was under warranty and I replaced it new. Everything was great for a few days. Then it happened again. Fearing an alternator issue I took it to an advance autoparts and they ran a diagnostic (It was like a 12"x12" machine) against the battery to troubleshoot the Battery, Alt and Starter. Now their reading said all three were fine. (Fine? Yeah... I didnt think so but that was what the machine said.) Now the tough start happened when the guy was there. It was almost like the car was "under load" when I tried to start the car. Lights would dim, LED's on Radio, dashboard and parking lights would temporarily go out.

I am trying to figure out HOW to troubleshoot this thing. As I see it there are a few possibilities (might be even more)

- Starter
- Starter Relay (I have no idea where this is) - anyone can tell me where to find this?
- Fuses (checked lightly, but which ones would be relevant to the starter?) I could not find the fuse map for the fuses inside the dash. I looked at fuses in the engine compartment and none seemed to say...ignition or starter that I could tell.
- Something in the steering collumn?

Other Mechanical notes: Engine seems fine. New Oil at right levels, Trans fine, Coolant fine. Car was working this morning. It had a hard start. I stopped car and try to restart to do the hard start over and it would not turn over. I do not believe it to be a Engine not turning due to seize issue.

Any ideas?

I can make / share video of what I am experiencing.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by epic2015; 06-15-2014 at 08:54 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-15-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2007 Civic Starting Problems - (No Crank, Clicking coming from under steering col

When I click past the II position to start all the Led's in the car go out
Am I to understand this to mean that most everything electrical in the car quits at this time? Headlights and all?

(Fine? Yeah... I didnt think so but that was what the machine said.)
It wasn't acting up at the time. The car has to be acting up in order to find the problem.

Most "machines" can 't actually find problems. They are only tools. Someone with brain cells must find the problems.
Old 01-24-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wpnaes is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2007 Civic Starting Problems - (No Crank, Clicking coming from under steering col

Were you able to resolve?
Old 02-13-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
chuffsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Epic 2015.
Kindly post the solution to your issue.
This makes the forum work.