Suspension Post your issues with Suspension here! Suspension will cover from Steering Column (Steer Wheel is in interior), Suspension, Bearing and Hubs

06-07 Rapid Tire wear/ class action lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speedy25 is an unknown quantity at this point
06-07 Rapid Tire wear/ class action lawsuit

I would have expected a bit more chatter over this. All I found was some info in a thread on what to look for in an '06.

I had no idea about this problem until a letter came in the mail a few months back with 2 pages from Honda and 8 from the lawyers. My girl was trying to make sense of it all to file a claim and asked for my help

In the meantime 3 sets of tires all went THUMP THUMP THUMP and wore out prematurely.

I did find the link from ezone (Thanks again buddy, you have been a GREAT source of info that cant be found by mere mortals) and found out they had a fix in 2009, but I guess they were hiding it, since the problem exists on this car and we were told by the dealer that the car already had the new arms. Hmmmm.

Next I guess is a visit to the dealer AGAIN and get mean about it. It should have been fixed 100k ago.

I've decided to post this so that others might EASILY know about this problem and get it fixed before they ruin multiple sets of tires. Hmm maybe Bridgestone wasnt as bad as I thought they were....!

-SP
Old 09-26-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 06-07 Rapid Tire wear/ class action lawsuit

You can look and see if your arms are the updated type.

Look for my pics in this thread: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4648427

If the arms have the stampings indicating they are the updated parts already, there is nothing more Honda will do about the arms.

Last edited by ezone; 09-26-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2013
Registered!!

Update: Went to the dealer, and they gave me a phone number to call about replacement TIRES. Its the same number as was in the paperwork already received. I called anyway and the girl just said go to the website and download the forms. Not really much help at all. http://settlement-claims.com/controlArm/

Scheduled a visit to the dealer and got the updated control arms. Of course nobody knows what the difference is in the new ones. A few hours of labor and the car is back on the road.... with the same destoyed thumping tires.

I may pursue legal action outside of the class action suit. The paperwork basically says they will give you a pro-rated compensation for tire wear. That doesnt begin to compensate for extra time looking for a problem. (I couldnt find any and neither could the shop that aligned it after the first set of tires went bad.) and driving around with the tire racket. Its like having square wheels.

The actual suit is supposed to have its final approval hearing 28 October. I'm not sure what waiting until that day might accomplish.

-SP
Old 10-25-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Of course nobody knows what the difference is in the new ones
Only about 2mm longer, that's all.
And the "C" stamping to indicate it's an updated part.

That doesnt begin to compensate for extra time looking for a problem. (I couldnt find any and neither could the shop that aligned it after the first set of tires went bad.)
It's a well known issue.
You just weren't asking the right people

with the same destoyed thumping tires
Yup.
We do the upper arms ONLY.

Taking care of the tires is between yourself and the manufacturer.
(I really have no idea what goes on there, that's not my area.)
The dealer has nothing to do with the tires at this point in time.
Old 11-02-2013
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Dobber1 is a jewel in the roughDobber1 is a jewel in the roughDobber1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by speedy25
Update: Went to the dealer, and they gave me a phone number to call about replacement TIRES. Its the same number as was in the paperwork already received. I called anyway and the girl just said go to the website and download the forms. Not really much help at all. http://settlement-claims.com/controlArm/

I may pursue legal action outside of the class action suit. The paperwork basically says they will give you a pro-rated compensation for tire wear.
They also want receipts showing tire purchases. I didn't have enough room in my glove box for all those! Imagine how many tires I've replaced by now, even with the new control arms installed @ 80K miles.

Name:  8ab113117262a6b3a45812ddcfe47a57_zps37d43572.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  298.9 KB

Its like having square wheels.
I feel fortunate then, because mine feels like my wheels are octagons!
Old 11-26-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Taking care of the tires is between yourself and the manufacturer. (I really have no idea what goes on there, that's not my area.)
The dealer has nothing to do with the tires at this point in time.
Thanks for the tech info ezone. At least you know whats in the new parts.

The info in the settlement paperwork is a complicated mishmash that combined with class action means somebody might get $1.57 reimbursement for tires after the lawyers get their cut.

After consulting with a lawyer, we decided to opt out and just file a small claims court suit to actually get reimbursed for tires and having to put up with the problem.

Too bad ezone isnt around here so I could get REAL accurate info when I need it instead of dumb looks and "Ida knows."

-SP
Old 02-26-2014
Registered!!

Just a follow-up for anyone stumbling upon this thread.

As you know the new arms were installed by the dealer and the car was aligned.

Fast forward to last week when I drove the car for the first time in a long while. Despite NOT getting new tires which were making awful noises, the noise seems to have subsided. I never expected that. Rarely does anything get better by itself. The car is once again quiet to drive.

If there are any others having noisy tire problems, GET THE UPDATED ARMS! Its a no brainer. I just wish I had known about it sooner to save all the hassle and tire destruction.

-SP
Old 02-26-2014

If there are any others having noisy tire problems, GET THE UPDATED ARMS! Its a no brainer. I just wish I had known about it sooner to save all the hassle and tire destruction.

-SP
For anyone that stumbles across this thread, the (US Class Action Settlement) warranty extension period has now officially ended.

All issues are now the customers' responsibility, not Hondas.