Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid New AC Compressor

Old 09-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deaninsavannah is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid New AC Compressor

Thanks to a suicidal Raccoon who crossed my path while I was driving at 65mph in my '08 Hybrid Civic. I got to replace the condenser and ac compressor on my Hybrid! I ordered a rebuilt compressor from a company in FL.

After straightening the body so the new condenser would fit, I was sure to use the proper compressor oil and triple checked everything. The compressor cost about $400 plus $175 for the condenser, I didn't want to mess any of that up. I added Hybrid oil and freon and the compressor never kicked in, the cooling fans never kicked in either. I double checked the fuses and relays then had another mechanic come in behind me and check them again. Bypassing one of the relays both of the cooling fans work on low speed, bypassing the other, the one fan on the passenger side works on high speed, bypassing another relay the clutch kicks in on the compressor. So it seems as though every individual part works they just are not working together. I have spend several hours on this and I am stumped, any ideas on what else I could check?
Old 09-26-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid New AC Compressor

Blower fan inside working properly ??
Old 09-26-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Any fuses blown in any of the fuse boxes?

I'd probably grab the HDS scanner, see what the control units are doing and thinking.....

Are there any codes in any system in the car? I'd do an "all module code check" first. Solve any relevant codes.

Is the PCM seeing an AC request?
Is the PCM commanding the compressor relay on?
Is the MCM able to operate the HV part of the compressor?
Old 09-27-2013
Registered!!

There were 2 emissions codes that I didn't think were relevant. The Blower inside works well, blows warm air.
Old 09-27-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Was there any damage to the AC pressure sensor or its wiring on the high side line?
Old 09-28-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Was there any damage to the AC pressure sensor or its wiring on the high side line?
Not that is visible, it looks good to me.
Old 09-28-2013

Is the thermal protector open circuit?
Have you checked all fuses in both fuseboxes?

I can only get about half of the info I need from the Honda site right now, for some reason....I can't get a wiring diagram for this car, dangit.....So I'll spit a mix of stuff from my memory and some info about non-hybrid cars.

There are variables, such as if the car has climate control or manual HVAC, and if it has Navigation (I don't think hybrids had manual AC). These might make a difference in troubleshooting.
A hybrid controlled compressor just throws more possibilities into the mix.

On the 12v controls side of things, since you already said you can bypass the relays to turn on the compressor and fans, then that tells me the PCM is not turning on the AC clutch for some reason.

This is where I would plug in a real scanner (HDS in my case) and see exactly what is going on with the various computer controls, starting with the PCM.

AC request (yes or no) and AC clutch (on or off) are the first things I look for in the PCM. If one of those is not as I expect, then I look for reasons why it might be that way.

If there is a request but the clutch is not being turned on, then the PCM is prohibiting that function for some reason, such as the engine is overheating, the thermal protector has gone open, or the pressure sensor says the pressure is out of operating range. And more.

If there is no request, then I start going "further back" to the rest of the controls, such as MICU and HVAC control unit. Wiring diagrams and knowledge/information of the relevant systems are the guides now.

------------------------------------

There are self diagnosis functions available for the climate control.
http://civic.hondafitjazz.com/A00/HTML/12/SNB6E12K71100000000BBAT20.html

This is just an example. This is not for your car, I didn't find a link the the correct info on the web that I could use. It is neither complete nor accurate for your car.

It looks like 9 additional codes for the Hybrid Civic (segment plus 'fresh' indicators, 5 add'l). The data displays are far different for a hybrid too, so you really cannot rely on the info linked above. You would need a real service manual for your specific car to go much further with this. (I can't link my info for you.)