Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

First Civic ever. 2008, vibrations in 2nd gear, auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jbvideo is an unknown quantity at this point
First Civic ever. 2008, vibrations in 2nd gear, auto

Hi all;
Long time Accord owner, drove it literally until its KBB was about $600.
Literally have had my 2008 Civic LE for 3 hours. (Automatic, Sedan, 77K miles)

First things I noticed;
Loud road noise (Could be the tires though, came with Tiger Paws)
Hard suspension, felt like I could feel everything on the road (Again, could be the tires)
and the most worrisome, a vibrating at about 1600-1700 RPM in 2nd gear.

On the ride home, I assumed it was a rough part of the road, when I got into my neighborhood, where I KNEW the roads were smooth, I gave it a try;
First gear into second, no vibration (but man what a hard transition).
Second into third. Smooth, but just before the tranny moves into 3rd (at about 1600 RPMs, the thing vibrates, almost as if you were going over some light grooves on the road. Lasts for about 2 seconds. I am betting it I were really pushing the car and driving fast, I might never notice it, but I am an easy driver.

I should also note that this civic was victim of the cracked engine block (Honda bulletin 10-048). Dealer gave me the work order. It was replaced under the 8 year extended warranty. About 1,000 miles ago, so essentially, the block in my Civic is brand new.

Thanks in advance!
JB
Old 05-21-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Civic ever. 2008, vibrations in 2nd gear, auto

Loud road noise
RUMPRUMPRUMPRUMPRUMPRUMP noise?
Choppy tire tread, inner edges. Have a pro evaluate them?
If not unsafe, then live with it until the tires are worn out. Or replace the tires and pick a better design $$$.
Bulletin for rear upper control arms, see if it has already been done to the car or not. It only reduces the tendency to chop tires though. Does not eliminate the issue.
Hard suspension, felt like I could feel everything on the road
Overinflated tires, or it is just the way a Civic is. You got out of an Accord, this is going to feel rough for a while. Especially with choppy tires.
(at about 1600 RPMs, the thing vibrates, almost as if you were going over some light grooves on the road. Lasts for about 2 seconds.
Ummmmm...Really noticeable when using light throttle.......I'll bet...Torque converter shudder. Seems common on some neglected cars. I'd start with changing the trans fluid a few times, using the correct Honda DW-1 fluid.. (This is yet another reason we recommend changing trans fluid FAR more often than what the factory recommends!)
Did you get a warranty? Get them to buy a torque converter.
Old 05-22-2013
Registered!!

No warranty, as is.
Thanks for your reply.
I may call the dealer I bought it from and just ask if they will do a free diagnosis on the car for me with regards to the issues as a courtesy. Just so I know what I am dealing with.
Old 05-22-2013
Registered!!

Found this over at 8thcivic.com
The descriptions fits my issue perfectly. Anyone see this as a likely solution? I hope so!

-----------------------
This reply may be of no concern to the original poster anymore but its important to someone having a similar issue and I see no one has actually given a solution here.

I have had a similar issue in my freshly imported 2008 Civic 1.8L (44,000Kms) Automatic. The car used to Stutter/vibrate especially when going from 2nd gear to 3rd. No vibrations if I applied a little heavy foot to the accelerator. But this meant I had to constantly have an heavy foot while my car picked up to the average speeds in return costing me a bit of fuel. After heavy research and talking to many Honda technicians, the solution was simple:

Honda’s computer learns over time about your driving and adjusts its sensors accordingly. If you have bought the car from someone, it is likely the car is trying to act in the way it has learned from the old driver. A full ECU reset needs to happen so the car can now learn your style of driving.

In my case, the transmission oil was filthy and needed to have a service done. So my Honda technicians did a full Transmission Oil change service and reset the computer.

Now, there is no Stutter/vibrations and the car is smooth like brand new!!!!
Old 05-22-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jbvideo
No warranty, as is.
Thanks for your reply.
I may call the dealer I bought it from and just ask if they will do a free diagnosis on the car for me with regards to the issues as a courtesy. Just so I know what I am dealing with.
AS-IS, and FREE diag? You think the seller will admit there is anything wrong with the car they JUST sold you, especially if they think you want them to fix it on their dime?
(Hell no. They already got their profit out of you. Prepare to be kicked to the curb like yesterdays trash.)

Honda dealership, or a used car lot?

Free is worth exactly what you pay for it, and is even more likely to cost you far more than necessary.

You probably won't even get correct answers unless the person is intimately familiar with these cars and their specific issues (seasoned dealer tech).

You might have 72 hours to back out of the deal though. Depends on your local regulations.

Found this over at 8thcivic.com
The descriptions fits my issue perfectly. Anyone see this as a likely solution? I hope so!
AFAIK these don't have adaptive shift. IMO, what probably fixed it was the trans service, although 44k km seems awfully early to have the TCC shudder.
Old 05-22-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
AS-IS, and FREE diag? You think the seller will admit there is anything wrong with the car they JUST sold you, especially if they think you want them to fix it on their dime?
(Hell no. They already got their profit out of you. Prepare to be kicked to the curb like yesterdays trash.)

Honda dealership, or a used car lot?

Free is worth exactly what you pay for it, and is even more likely to cost you far more than necessary.

You probably won't even get correct answers unless the person is intimately familiar with these cars and their specific issues (seasoned dealer tech).
I bought it from a Honda dealer, their used car lot.
They did the work on the car (Installed the new engine block in it)
I've been to this service center a few times.
I went by today. They have me scheduled for a free diagnosis in a week.
Old 05-22-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

How does the ATF fluid look ??
Old 05-22-2013

I bought it from a Honda dealer, their used car lot.
They did the work on the car (Installed the new engine block in it)
I've been to this service center a few times.
I went by today. They have me scheduled for a free diagnosis in a week.
I'm impressed.
I'll be more impressed if they fix anything on their own dime, although some warranty coverage might be possible.

(Also, I was totally expecting it to be from some Honest Freds' used car lot.)
Old 05-22-2013
Registered!!

I'm impressed.
I'll be more impressed if they fix anything on their own dime, although some warranty coverage might be possible.

(Also, I was totally expecting it to be from some Honest Freds' used car lot.)

I have zero expectations of them fixing anything for free. In fact, all I did was go there and tell them the issue, told them I bought it yesterday and would they mind looking into it and just TELLING me what's the issue, form there I can make a decision on whether or not to fix it and where to have it fixed.

If it is related to the engine block itself (Which I doubt) that's covered until 2016. Honda is offering an extended warranty (8 years) in engine blocks of this generation.
Old 05-22-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Going to check that the next chance I get... holed up at work right now.
Old 05-22-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Just checked it. Looks average. Not too dark, has no unusual smell to it. Looks about what ATF should look like
Old 05-22-2013
Registered!!

rrico22 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey i live in San Antonio Texas, I am selling my red civic si for $16000, it has 47 thousand miles on it with up to 100 thousand miles dealership warranty,it has brand new tries and both exterior and interior are rlly clean,my phone number is 830 481 0636 just in case you kno of someone who might be interested. thanks
Old 05-23-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rrico22
hey i live in San Antonio Texas, I am selling my red civic si for $16000, it has 47 thousand miles on it with up to 100 thousand miles dealership warranty,it has brand new tries and both exterior and interior are rlly clean,my phone number is 830 481 0636 just in case you kno of someone who might be interested. thanks
Wow. Off topic much?
Old 05-23-2013

Wow. Off topic much?
First day on the new intarwebz.
Old 05-23-2013
Registered!!

Just tried something I found interesting, maybe it will shed some light here...

I was NOT able to recreate the issue when I drove my car in D3. Switching from 2nd to 3rd while in D3 was smooth, no shakes.
Old 05-23-2013
Registered!!

Any chance it coul dbe a torque converter problem?
Old 05-23-2013

Any chance it coul dbe a torque converter problem?
Already answered in my first reply.
Old 05-23-2013
Registered!!

Already answered in my first reply.
And the cost to have this installed would be ...? (Saw the assembly is about $500, wondering about installation)
Old 05-23-2013

And the cost to have this installed would be ...? (Saw the assembly is about $500, wondering about installation)

MSRP for the T/C is only 201.xx McDoubles when you get a reman through Honda.
Part # 26000-RNA-305RM.
Add $ for about 6 quarts of the correct ATF fluid @ 8.23 each.
And some coolant.
Shops are free to set their own parts prices, nobody has to use MSRP.

Install will vary. Call your shop and ask them.
I'd GUESS about 6-7 units of labor fees.

HTH
Old 05-24-2013
Registered!!

MSRP for the T/C is only 201.xx McDoubles when you get a reman through Honda.
Part # 26000-RNA-305RM.
Add $ for about 6 quarts of the correct ATF fluid @ 8.23 each.
And some coolant.
Shops are free to set their own parts prices, nobody has to use MSRP.

Install will vary. Call your shop and ask them.
I'd GUESS about 6-7 units of labor fees.

HTH
That seems reasonable. And thanks for yours (and everyone elses) advice.
I am going to take it to the dealer that sold it to me Thursday and they are going to check it out for free and let me know what they think. I'm guessing with their reputation on the line they'll say "Nothing is wrong, we sold you a perfect car" but I will report anyway
Old 05-24-2013

I was giving guesses based on what I see regularly. Your car may or may not have the same issues.
Also, if simple trans fluid service does not get rid of the shudder problem, then some might try additives in the fluid to mask the shudder, if it is TCC shudder. Far cheaper and gets rid of you for a while.
But the factory says the proper fix is to replace the torque converter. That means pulling the trans out, and that's a lot of work that SOMEone needs to pay for.
Old 11-23-2016
Registered!!

mhawkr01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been having the same problem with my 2010 Civic LX sedan. I have the problem exactly where once I am slowly accelerating from zero or even at slow speeds from 9mph in 2nd gear up to 18 into 3rd gear, and then from 18-27 into 4th gear is where I can feel that shudder or shaking through the pedals and the whole car. If i apply more throttle or let off the gas it goes away. Usually if i am driving at a good pace forward it wont have that vibration, but slow driving let the speedometer cycle up one mph at a time is what causes that shaking as the revs climb naturally.
Old 11-23-2016

Originally Posted by mhawkr01
I've been having the same problem with my 2010 Civic LX sedan. I have the problem exactly where once I am slowly accelerating from zero or even at slow speeds from 9mph in 2nd gear up to 18 into 3rd gear, and then from 18-27 into 4th gear is where I can feel that shudder or shaking through the pedals and the whole car. If i apply more throttle or let off the gas it goes away. Usually if i am driving at a good pace forward it wont have that vibration, but slow driving let the speedometer cycle up one mph at a time is what causes that shaking as the revs climb naturally.
How many miles on it?
Sounds like TCC shudder.
Not had regular transmission services every 30k?

Do that today. Use Hondas DW-1 fluid.
Old 11-23-2016
Honda Maniac!

Carbuff2 is an unknown quantity at this point

X2 on what Ezone said.

fresh auto fluid keeps Honda trannies working great.
Old 11-23-2016

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
X2 on what Ezone said.

fresh auto fluid keeps Honda trannies working great.
Good evening, Mr. Haines. Are you still in the second house on the left?
Old 11-24-2016
Honda Maniac!

Carbuff2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, Otherwise known as the Doghouse, just ask my wife.

to you ezone...

Now, BACK TO TOPIC.
Old 05-01-2021
Registered!!

Musab Ahmed is an unknown quantity at this point

How many miles on it?
Sounds like TCC shudder.
Not had regular transmission services every 30k?

Do that today. Use Hondas DW-1 fluid.
Hi Ezone, so I’ve a similar problem with my car that it shudders / shakes while going slow but not when I have a heavy foot on gas.
I’ve 160K miles on my Civic 2012, the trans fluid looks moderate. I bought it from someone else so don’t know what was the last time he changed the ATF. The issue started a couple of days later after I bought the car.

I took it to Honda dealership and they’re saying that it might be the ATF and we could flush it which might solve the problem or the trans could die. It can go either way.

I’m confused what to do and if it’s really the ATF or some other problem, cuz the car runs totally fine with heavy foot or once on 4th 5th gear.
Old 05-02-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Fluid is cheap, change it
Old 05-02-2021
Registered!!

Musab Ahmed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colin42
Fluid is cheap, change it
I’ve no issues doing that but the fear of the transmission being dead is what’s frightening me.
cuz he told me it’s gonna cost 3 grand for a new transmission.
Old 05-02-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

If the trans is dead, it was dead before you changed the fluid. You could change the trans in the driveway and save probably about $2k. I did it on an 05