Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Driver side Seat Belt tensioners have deployed to a locked position - repair solution

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ndirish1618 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Driver side Seat Belt tensioners have deployed to a locked position - repair solution

So it was dark out one night and i couldnt see that the road mergered into 1 lane. I kept going in the other and hit a curb pretty hard. No airbags deployed or anything. The only thing im worried about is the driver side seat belt. It is in a locked position. I took it into a dealer and they confirmed that both seat belt tensioners or pre-tensioners(which ever it is) had deployed and locked up because of the impact. They said i would need a whole new seat belt installer with new tensioners and everything. They quoted me $550 +tax. This seems really high for something like this. I know a seat belt is important and probably more high tech than we think but does anyone know if i can get this fixed for cheaper? Is there anywhere else i can take it besides a dealership? Is there any way to order the parts myself and just have them installed.

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 12-09-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Driver side Seat Belt tensioners have deployed to a locked position - repair solu

don't know what car is yours, but you could just buy them. yes, you need to replace them.
Note: my link is a random car i selected. select your year, model, etc to choose the adequate seat belts.

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/parts...per/seat-belts
Old 12-09-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driver side Seat Belt tensioners have deployed to a locked position - repair solu

$550 is damn cheap. Too damn cheap.
I picked an 08 Civic at random, since this is under 8th and 9th gen.

Drivers belt, 260.
Drivers buckle, 210
SRS controller, 170
PLUS labor to replace them, and programming and setup on the new control unit.
Yes, it needs the SRS control unit replaced since it deployed some of the charges. It has codes that cannot be cleared.

Since you hit a curb hard, you probably need suspension parts too.
Time to get your insurance company involved.
Old 12-09-2012
Registered!!

D Murphy is an unknown quantity at this point

That sounds about right, parts are about $350. The seatbelts and buckles have a type of gas with an ignitor incorporated into them. I would recommend a repair facility that is familiar with this type of work. Body shops are sometimes less expensive
Old 12-11-2012
Registered!!

ndirish1618 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the insight guys... I guess i'll just take it back to the dealership then, unless anyone thinks that i could get it done for cheaper at a body shop or something like that?? I just wanted to make sure i'm not getting ripped off!
Old 12-11-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You still haven't bothered to tell anyone what car you have. That can make a huge difference in the answers.

You can DIY all of the parts, or anyone you want can install the parts.

But you will have to get the new control unit programmed at a dealer (or some shop that has the right scanner equipment to do SRS work).