Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Weird static-like noise from passenger air vent

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crypticlineage is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Weird static-like noise from passenger air vent

I just recently bought a 2006 Civic LX. It's a great, except for one problem that has been annoying the crap out of me. It started a couple of weeks ago.

When driving at speeds above 40mph, I hear this loud static sound, which comes on and goes off intermittently. It appears to come from passenger side air vent or that general area. Some observations:

1. There is nothing stuck behind the vent grill itself. I took the grill off and didn't find any objects loosely dangling in there.

2. The loudness of the noise is directly dependent upon speed of the vehicle. More noise at higher speeds than lower.

3. Noise is present regardless of whether a/c is on or not.

4. Noise is also present with radio switched off completely.

I don't think this is an electrical problem, but I am not sure. Looking for some advice on how to troubleshoot this. I suspect something might be stuck and fluttering in the wind inside the air-pipe that sucks in fresh air from outside and delivers it to the cabin. If thats' the case, how do I get to that mechanism? Also, does this car have a cabin air filter? If so, where is it located?

Thank you guys. Your help is appreciated.
Old 08-02-2012
Registered!!

Re: Weird static-like noise from passenger air vent

Wow, seriously? 73 reads and not a single reply?
Old 08-02-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

seems like leaves stuck in the system somewhere. ive heard it before. try and put the recirc button on and turn the fan on full. then close all vents except one and see if anything blows out. cabin filters are on all 01+ civics and usually behind the glove box. i have mine removed for faster air flow. you really cannot clean out the air intake parts without removing the whole dash, which is not worth it.
Old 08-07-2012
Registered!!

gearbox: Tried your suggestion and it hasn't helped. Part of the problem might be that you can't really completely close the two inner vents.

What would entail opening up the venting system? I was able to get the cabin air filter out, and it needs replacement, but haven't seen any large leaves that would rattle in there in the wind. I also drove around without the filter installed and the noise was still there.

You got anymore ideas?
Old 08-08-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

did you try closing the vents with your hand or a towel? idk, not many ideas left other than taking the dash apart, and even then you wont be able to take apart some sections without breaking apart. and you could damage parts of the blower. if you get one of those flexible rods and tie a towel around it, possibly you can stick it thru the vent holes (after popping the vent trim off) and poke around back there. but if you have cabin filters installed, technically there should not be anything in those vents.