Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

1996 Civic LX Engine Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MUSEinIN is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 1996 Civic LX Engine Mystery

I have a 1996 Civic LX that has what can best be described as intermittant stalling. Within the past six weeks I have had work done twice. The first repair included replacing the distributor, spark plugs and wires. The second, done just last week, included replacing the fuel filter, one injector, PCV valve and radiator (just needed replaced because of hairline crack, not causing any problems).

The problem seems to happen in stop-and-go traffic. The car simply dies. No chugging, no sputtering. After it rests, it will start and blow blue smoke. It smells of gas, too, like I've lost a cylinder. If you turn it off, let it rest and start it again, it runs just fine and will run fine for days - even in stop-and-go traffic. When it acted up yesterday, the only thing I could pinpoint is that it seemed to accelerate sluggishly and then it would die. The second repair was made to fix this exact issue, but, apparently, all that work didn't fix the root cause.

I'm at a loss. What else could it be?