Cracked block early R18 Overheating Post Information, Questions and issues with the cracking block on the early R18 type engine here.

2007 cracked engine block

Old 02-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lilyhh is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 cracked engine block

I had my 2007 Civic towed to the dealer here in Richmond VA on Friday (2/17) with a cracked engine block. My car should be ready today!!
Does anyone know how they fixed this so quickly? How is Honda dealing with this issue? Replace the engine, slap some epoxy, rebuild. Give me something to work with. thanks.
Old 02-22-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2007 cracked engine block

You get a new block ('09-'11 version), and anything else it takes to make a running engine again. Some people keep driving until the darn thing literally melts down.

Laborwise, it is worth a day and a half, but in reality it can take anywhere from 2 days to a week, depending on workload and interruptions.

If it isn't RIGHT when you get it back, march right back in there and get them to make it right. It is a big job, sometimes things go sour.
Old 02-22-2012
Registered!!

lilyhh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. I'm heading over there at 4:00 today. So you think they had a fully dressed engine ready to go or they just used a long block?
Old 02-22-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilyhh
Thanks for the reply. I'm heading over there at 4:00 today. So you think they had a fully dressed engine ready to go or they just used a long block?
It's factory warranty.
Factory warranty buys NEW parts.
Do a search for the other threads where I have explained all of this.

Factory does NOT supply "long" block. They supply a block, with the rotating assembly (crank, rods, pistons).

If a head is needed because of an overheat, then it gets it. Same for anything else that was damaged from an overheat.

You only get what is needed to fix the "cracked block" problem. Nothing more.
Old 10-01-2013
Registered!!

Wren is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately my Wife was one to drive until it quit. I Have it at Honda and they said they will have it fixed by the end of the week. My question%u2019s is if it got so hot to destroy the motor and lost it coolant would it have also hurt the transmission ?

2007 Honda Civic
Old 10-01-2013

Originally Posted by Wren
Unfortunately my Wife was one to drive until it quit.

if it got so hot to destroy the motor and lost it coolant would it have also hurt the transmission ?

2007 Honda Civic

Seen several people do exactly this. Trans unaffected as far as I could ever tell for certain.
An extreme overheat doesn't last very long LOL.

If you are that concerned about it, then do a trans fluid service or 2 or 3.

OTOH, If the trans has issues, they were probably there already.
Seen this before with torque converter shudder and service neglect..
Old 10-01-2013
Registered!!

Wren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Seen several people do exactly this. Trans unaffected as far as I could ever tell for certain.
An extreme overheat doesn't last very long LOL.

If you are that concerned about it, then do a trans fluid service or 2 or 3.

OTOH, If the trans has issues, they were probably there already. Seen this before with torque converter shudder and service neglect..
Ok thanks
Never have had a Problem with the Trans and kept it up to serives. Will do a service a few times.

Thanks for your help
Old 01-13-2014
Registered!!

07HondaCivic07 is an unknown quantity at this point

I purchased a 2007 Honda Civic EX 9 months ago. The car only has 51,000 miles. I just got done changing the oil for the 2nd time since I bought the car. This last time I changed the oil when I pulled the filter off the oil came out really thin and started to look foamy in the pan. I've never seen this before when changing my oil. My first thought was antifreeze is mixing in to my oil some how. I checked the radiator and over flow but the radiator was full and the over flow was just above the MIN line. So I checked the radiator and over flow again yesterday. Its been a month since I checked it and the radiator was a little low and the over flow tank was empty. So I am assuming I have antifreeze mixing with my oil somewhere. I received a letter from Honda this last Friday saying how there is problems with cracked engine blocks in 06-09 Civics. I am just looking for all of your feedback on if this could be whats causing antifreeze to get in my oil. I checked the outside of the block for and signs of antifreeze leaking on the front of the engine and I didn't see a thing. There is also no puddles under the car. Is it possible the Engine Block could be cracked inside? I don't know a lot about engines. Im very disappointed in this Honda. Ive had 3 recalls in 9 months with this car. Ive owned Hondas my hole life starting with a 1988 CRX and have owned 5 since. I never had a problem with any of them. I still own a 1997 Civic that I store every winter and it has 105,000 and I have never had to replace anything on that car but a timing belt and water pump. Sorry for the long post! I;m just really worried whats going on with this 2007 Civic I just took out a 6 year loan on it. Please any info on if my problem could be from a cracked block.
Old 01-13-2014

Welcome to the forum.
I'm removing one of your posts since they appear to be identical.

cracked engine blocks in 06-09 Civics.
Yes, it happens to those cars once in a while.
Im very disappointed in this Honda.
Honda cares, that's why they extended the warranty on this particular issue.
But IMO it probably affects less than 1% of the fleet.

the oil came out really thin and started to look foamy in the pan. I've never seen this before when changing my oil. My first thought was antifreeze is mixing in to my oil some how.
Simply noticing that your oil appears "really thin" doesn't mean much by itself. 5w20 is pretty runny, especially when it is hot.

I checked the outside of the block for and signs of antifreeze leaking on the front of the engine and I didn't see a thing. There is also no puddles under the car. Is it possible the Engine Block could be cracked inside?
The cracks can show as an external leak or an internal leak.

I am just looking for all of your feedback on if this could be whats causing antifreeze to get in my oil.
You have to make certain it's actually antifreeze in your oil. Then it has to be verified/confirmed/proven at/to/by the dealer shop.

If your coolant is getting into the oil, the dipstick SHOULD show that the oil level keeps going up and up, while the radiator level keeps getting lower and lower.

(If you lost a quart of coolant, the oil should be a quart overfull. Right? Right.)

When this happens, the oil will usually look like a really obvious chocolate milkshake instead of oil.

You MUST take it to a dealer to have the issue verified before it can be repaired.

Keep in mind, many OTHER things can leak and cause coolant loss too.
Ive had 3 recalls in 9 months with this car.
Previous owner never got any of the recalls completed? I don't think there have been any NEW recalls issued in a few years on those cars. (A warranty extension is not the same as a recall.)

HTH
Old 01-13-2014

Oh yeah, there are other threads on this issue, with pictures.
Old 01-13-2014
Registered!!

The owner before never had any of the recalls fixed. The lower control arms I had to have replaced and both visors broke. (both were covered) Those recalls didn't bother me. I'm just kind of freaked out by this engine block problem. Stupid question but when you say 5-20 oil is really thin would that make it foam up in the oil pan? It was strange when I drained the oil from the oil pan it came out just fine with no foaming soon as I took of the oil filter then I could see foamy looking bubbles in the pan I was collecting the oil in. The car goes in Wed. to have the block checked. If the block is fine should I still be alarmed? Or should I just keep watching my fluids. The oil doesn't look white at all. Is this block problem a wide spread problem? Thanks again
Old 01-13-2014

The lower control arms I had to have replaced and both visors broke.
That's the upper rear arms, they supposedly cause tires to chop the tread (irregular tread wear).

Yes, the visors split and fall.
Those are both warranty extensions, not recalls.

I'm just kind of freaked out by this engine block problem.
Don't be.

If the block is fine should I still be alarmed?
I don't understand why you are alarmed in the first place.

If the government sent you a letter stating the Earth could crash into the Sun, would you be alarmed?

No.
And if it is found to be OK right now, that not a promise that it is going to be OK forever.
It could happen at any time. It might never happen at all.
Just keep that 10 year warranty in mind if it ever overheats on you.

Is this block problem a wide spread problem?
Already answered:
But IMO it probably affects less than 1% of the fleet.
They sure can't keep me busy doing engine jobs.

would that make it foam up in the oil pan?
I would need to see what you are talking about.
The oil doesn't look white at all.
White? What would that indicate?

It's pretty obvious when there is a lot of antifreeze in the oil, and you have not called it a chocolate milkshake yet.
I'm doubting there is any problem thus far.
then I could see foamy looking bubbles in the pan I was collecting the oil in.
Wait a sec......

When you whizz into the toilet water, doesn't it foam up too?
I think you may have been witnessing the exact same phenomenon.

Last edited by ezone; 01-13-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2014
Registered!!

Thanks ezone. I appreciate it! I didn't mean the oil looks white. I Kent the chocolate milk shake look. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-13-2014

Originally Posted by 07HondaCivic07
I didn't mean the oil looks white.
Condensation in the crankcase may look like yellow foam, usually first noticed inside the oil fill cap. Usually normal, especially in cold weather.

The normal cause is short trips and cold running (in town winter driving), lack of extended operation at normal operating temperature.
The engine needs to stay hot for a long time to bake the condensation out of the crankcase and out of the oil.
Old 01-13-2014
Registered!!

Damn ezone you know your stuff. When I changed my oil and got that foam in my oil pan container it was 2 degrees outside here in Mn. I bet it was due to condensation. You have made me feel much better. I just worry to damn much. Your the man. I also don't think I was use to changing 5-20 oil which is a lot thinner then what ive changed in the past in my older gen hondas. Once again thanks your input has helped me more then you know.
Old 01-13-2014

Once again thanks
YW.

it was 2 degrees outside here in Mn.
I didn't even check to see where you were located.

I don't always think of all possibilities on the first reply.....if at all.
I've forgotten an awful lot of stuff. LOL

You can safely run 0W20 in that engine if you wish. That should let it crank and start a little bit easier in extreme cold.
It's approved by Honda even though the oil cap says 5w20.

HTH
Old 01-13-2014

Keep an eye on the antifreeze usage though.

Maybe the cold made the reservoir level drop further than usual? IDK.
Old 09-04-2016
Registered!!

Sol1212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone own Honda Civic 2006-2009. Are you having over heating issues, leaking coolant or, engine problems??? Has your stranded you or, caused accident as result of stopping while driving. Speak up then file complaint on biggest billion dollar 10 year extended warranty for American Honda. This should be safety recall. Your complaints can get to recall for no expiration. Clearly Honda doesn't want to take accountability for selling cars with cracked engine blocks ! If you're car is totaled but with no damage to engine area they are leaving you out to repair their mistakes. Speak up because the National Highway Safety Administration needs to know what danger this defect is to owners! Lawsuits can result if seriously injured. Please speak up for me, for you and for all the people affected. Here's the website:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/vehiclecomplaint/
Old 02-20-2017
Registered!!

barthmonster is an unknown quantity at this point

This just happened to me THIS MONTH on my 2006. Yes I know it's been more than 10 years so I'm not covered. I'll be writing Honda USA to see if I can shame them into doing SOMETHING since I'd be getting a new shortblock right now if mine was an '07 but an '06 gets zip. I know there's a cutoff that makes sense but I'm not buying the less than 1% of vehicles at this point...
Old 02-20-2017

Originally Posted by barthmonster
This just happened to me THIS MONTH on my 2006. Yes I know it's been more than 10 years so I'm not covered. I'll be writing Honda USA to see if I can shame them into doing SOMETHING since I'd be getting a new shortblock right now if mine was an '07 but an '06 gets zip. I know there's a cutoff that makes sense but I'm not buying the less than 1% of vehicles at this point...
A phone call is much faster. (be polite, professional, courteous)

http://owners.honda.com/help/customer-relations

Contact Us

Honda Automobile Customer Service stands ready to answer questions and address concerns with your U.S. Honda vehicle. You may contact us several ways:

By Phone
(800) 999-1009 toll free
Monday-Friday: 6am-5pm PT

Recalls:
(888) 234-2138
Monday-Friday: 6am-6pm PT
Saturday: 7:30am-4pm PT
Sunday: 6am-2:30pm PT

By Twitter
Twitter.com/HondaCustSvc

By Fax
(310) 783-3023

By Mail
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Customer Service
Mail Stop: 500 - 2N - 7A
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746
Old 02-20-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

OP I believe it is 10 years after the issue was identified.

Call them, Honda's pretty good with keeping customers happy.
Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

mackwoman2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was told by Honda Service Rep on 4.29.17 that it's 10 years from the ORIGINAL PURCHASE DATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so many will expire this year

I experienced overheating in 2012 (I own a 2007 Honda Civic Sedan EX) and drove straight to dealer. They replaced the cracked engine block... 5 years later my timing cover appears to be leaking (I can smell oil) and my Torque Strut Mount is oil contaminated. Yesterday the 10 year warranty was up...but my Honda dealer said if they dated the ticket before that and I can get it in within two business days, they will look at it to see IF IT'S UNDER THE WARRANTY - HOWEVER, before even seeing the engine, the service rep said that it's probably not under warranty... I am not a mechanic so I don't know if these leaks would have to do with the replaced engine/block. I only have 96K on my car. first and last Honda I will ever own... so many issues, passenger safety bag waiting 9 months for replacement; visors broken - missed out on the recall - rear end control arm too short causing EXCESSIVE TIRE WEAR - I am on my 4th set of tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was only reimbursed for the rear control arm and jipped out of reimbursement for 2 sets of tires (approx. $1200) because I didn't know there was a problem and didn't have the treads measured when having them replaced...... there it is... BOOM

Last edited by mackwoman2000; 05-02-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sol1212
does anyone own honda civic 2006-2009. Are you having over heating issues, leaking coolant or, engine problems??? Has your stranded you or, caused accident as result of stopping while driving. Speak up then file complaint on biggest billion dollar 10 year extended warranty for american honda. This should be safety recall. Your complaints can get to recall for no expiration. Clearly honda doesn't want to take accountability for selling cars with cracked engine blocks ! If you're car is totaled but with no damage to engine area they are leaving you out to repair their mistakes. Speak up because the national highway safety administration needs to know what danger this defect is to owners! Lawsuits can result if seriously injured. Please speak up for me, for you and for all the people affected. Here's the website:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/vehiclecomplaint/
fyi, i would file a complaint but that link is broken.
Old 05-01-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Honda went above and beyond to repair your 8th gen engine... (and many others) it does not come with a lifetime unlimited coverage for every single item in the bay.

Get the leaks fixed.
Old 05-01-2017

so I don't know if these leaks would have to do with the replaced engine/block.
It took 5 years before you noticed an oil leak..... That won't be warrantable in any way.

passenger safety bag waiting 9 months for replacement
These have been readily available for quite some time. If you are STILL waiting, that's probably your own fault.

FYI over 30 auto manufacturer brands all have the same airbag inflator recall, over 100 different car models, and upwards of 70 MILLION airbags affected (and growing).
I'm not sure if you are familiar with product manufacturing processes, but I can tell you it's kinda tough to produce that many new units overnight. Some people just had to wait.

Everything else you complained about....you own the car, and you own all the problems that come with it.
fyi, i would file a complaint but that link is broken
Surely you can google NHTSA <--LINK* but IMO you really have no complaint that hasn't already been addressed by the manufacturer and lawyers.

FYI your own links here seem broken as well (error 404)

I found the pics....but I don't believe your garage actually pinpointed the source of the leakage either. They only point out that SOMETHING is leaking and they see it ends up at or below the timing cover. Looks like a fairly minor amount of oil loss at that. Does it leave puddles on the ground?

first and last Honda I will ever own
Might I suggest a nice Chrysler 200, Dodge Dart, Jeep Patriot, or a nice Fiat?
Old 05-01-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mackwoman2000
I was told by Honda Service Rep on 4.29.17 that it's 10 years from the ORIGINAL PURCHASE DATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so many will expire this year

I experienced overheating in 2012 (I own a 2007 Honda Civic Sedan EX) and drove straight to dealer. They replaced the cracked engine block... 5 years later my timing cover appears to be leaking (I can smell oil) and my Torque Strut Mount is oil contaminated. Yesterday the 10 year warranty was up...

... so many issues, passenger safety bag waiting 9 months for replacement; visors broken - missed out on the recall - rear end control arm too short causing EXCESSIVE TIRE WEAR - I am on my 4th set of tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was only reimbursed for the real control arm and jipped out of reimbursement for 2 sets of tires (approx. $1200) because I didn't know there was a problem and didn't have the treads measured when having them replaced...... there it is... BOOM
So at what point do you "OWN" your car? In 2007 you could have bought a nice chrylser sebring with a lifetime powertrain warranty. By now you would have replaced almost the whole suspension and some of the electrical system. Maybe a transmission as well but at least it would have been covered.

Any problem with the engine install would be on the dealer that installed it. They likely will stand behind their own workmanship for 12 months following the repair most do.

There are no backordered airbag inflators. last spring we had some units that had to wait. Honda supplied any affected customer with a free rental car to drive while they waited on their airbag to become available, all they had to do was ask for one. It even said in the letter that if you asked for a rental they would supply it.

Personally I have replaced the airbag in my honda twice as part of the never takata fiasco. The first time was in the original batch in 2009. The 2nd time I actually had to wait 2 weeks for my airbag. It wasn't honda's fault, the kid working the parts counter had input the VIN incorrectly and had printed out a sheet that even said "invalid VIN" on the order confirmation. After I asked why it hadn't come in they ordered again and I installed it the next day.
Old 05-02-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
That's the upper rear arms, they supposedly cause tires to chop the tread (irregular tread wear).

Yes, the visors split and fall.
Those are both warranty extensions, not recalls.

Don't be.

I don't understand why you are alarmed in the first place.

If the government sent you a letter stating the Earth could crash into the Sun, would you be alarmed?

No.
And if it is found to be OK right now, that not a promise that it is going to be OK forever.
It could happen at any time. It might never happen at all.
Just keep that 10 year warranty in mind if it ever overheats on you.

Already answered:They sure can't keep me busy doing engine jobs.

I would need to see what you are talking about.
White? What would that indicate?

It's pretty obvious when there is a lot of antifreeze in the oil, and you have not called it a chocolate milkshake yet.
I'm doubting there is any problem thus far.
Wait a sec......

When you whizz into the toilet water, doesn't it foam up too?
I think you may have been witnessing the exact same phenomenon.
EZONE, you seem extremely knowledgeable - on the visors - how long is the extended warranty? I tried to have mine replaced and was told I missed out on the "recall" expiration so I am curious if it was not a recall, how long they are covered under a warranty extension - if you know and you probably do.
Thanks!
Old 05-02-2017

Originally Posted by mackwoman2000
EZONE, you seem extremely knowledgeable - on the visors - how long is the extended warranty? I tried to have mine replaced and was told I missed out on the "recall" expiration so I am curious if it was not a recall, how long they are covered under a warranty extension - if you know and you probably do.
Thanks!
Clicky:
http://tinyurl.com/ku6roxk
Old 07-06-2017
Registered!!

kwdreams is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by barthmonster
Did you get this resolved?
Old 08-04-2017
Registered!!

rgar98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Honda dealer in Germantown, MD just confirmed what I already knew: my '07 Civic (119,000 miles) has a cracked engine block. I smelled the coolant and found a small leak running down the front of the block although the car never overheated.

I bought the car in March 2007 so I'm not eligible for the 10-year warranty engine replacement.

The tech told me that the repair would be about $6000. (Thanks, but no thanks.)

The car was very reliable; am I crazy to consider buying another Honda?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 cracked engine block