Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steevo is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil leak

I recently purchased a 97 Honda Civic and after only two weeks it started leaking oil. I checked the dip stick and it appears to have too much oil. There is two dots on the dip stick and it is over the second dot by about half the distance between them. Could this have caused the oil leak? This is my first Honda, I know the man I bought it from took really good care of it, and it only has 109,000 miles. I know that too much oil is bad, but wasn't sure where the oil level was suppose to be in reference to the dots on the stick.
Old 10-27-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Oil leak

Where is the leak at? The oil level should be between the two dots. Preferably on or just below the top dot. This is also in the wrong section. Your car is a 6th gen civic. Hopefully it'll get moved. I never notice this because I just go to new posts and click on the thred.
Old 10-27-2011
Registered!!

I did not realize I had posted in the wrong section. The oil is dripping from the bottom center of the car. And there is definetly too much oil in the motor if it is suppose to be in between the dots. Could this have caused the leak, how seriouse is it that there is too much oil?
Old 10-27-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Hmmmm. Directly in the center? Usually overfilling damages seals and causes leaks.
Old 10-27-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

only way to see is drain oil back to the top dot and drive it around. see if the leak goes away. make sure you are using 5w30. many shops do not care at all about which oil goes in the car and just put anything in so you might have 5w20 in there which is too thin and can cause leaks.
Old 10-27-2011
Registered!!

I will give that a try. Thanks for you help!
Old 10-28-2011
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

Best suggestion is to trace the oil leak to its origin. If you have a lot of oil gunk clean around the oil pan clean it off and drive the car around some more then go back underneath and find where it's leaking from. Also, take a look at the oil breather chamber...over time oil will build up there and leak like mine is doing but it's not a huge deal.