Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Shifting problem/knocking sound/ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
westlacivicman is an unknown quantity at this point
Shifting problem/knocking sound/ignition problem

Hello everybody, i am new to forums and new to driving manual car. I just purchased an 04 civic lx last month from a seller off craigslist. The car has 62000 miles and i got it for a cheap price due to the fact that it was non operated for two years. After purchasing the car i have encountered several issues with the car. Besides having a check engine light on for a couple emission problems, the first issue i encountered was that when i pump gas, the vehicle wont start, i hafto put some gas to get it to go. After that initial start after pumping gas the car will turn on fine, just only when at the pump. Also the car has a knocking sound as if somone was flickin a piece of cardboard when i press the gas. First gear n second are loud, third and so on kinda drown out. When idle the car has small vibration or loudness not toomuch but enough to notice. My most recent issue has caused me to post this, since i was driving home from work one day i heard a slight whispered whistle for about a minute, then after a couple stops i had trouble shifting into 2nd. My car can shift into any other gear fine, it now either goes in to second smoothly at times, grinds into it or wont go in at all. Since i am not a perfect driver at stick shift i am not driving my car and am waiting to get enough funds to take it to a shop. If anyone has any advice or tips that would be greatly appreciated as i hope my honda is as reliable as it should be.
Old 10-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
annettyo8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Shifting problem/knocking sound/ignition problem

Originally Posted by westlacivicman
My most recent issue has caused me to post this, since i was driving home from work one day i heard a slight whispered whistle for about a minute, then after a couple stops i had trouble shifting into 2nd. My car can shift into any other gear fine, it now either goes in to second smoothly at times, grinds into it or wont go in at all.
I had this same problem with a 98 Honda Accord I owned 2 yrs ago and just recently with my husbands 98 Accord. I am not too familiar with mechanics, but I do know that on my Accord, my slave cylinder was leaking so I ended up purchasing a new one and replaced it. Car worked fine after that and we obviously filled the fluid reservoir. My husbands car didn't have any fluid in it and his clutch master was leaking. R2 that one and bled it and it works fine now. Check the slave cylinder, the cluth master and look for leaks.
Good luck.