Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Clogged catalytic converter

Old 10-01-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K2dulce is an unknown quantity at this point
Clogged catalytic converter

I have a 99 civic ex coupe nd I'm assuming it is clogged because my check engine light is on and flashing when I try to drive the car drags once I reach about 40-50mph like it doesn't want to go. My car is really loud when I drive it rattles so I took it to a mechanic and he said the catalytic converter was bad. However, the car is getting worse it shakes nd thumps if I drive at 60mph nd when I'm at a stop light the car idles really low as if it will cut off. The problem is I'm a single mother working and goin to college I can't afford a new catalytic converter for another 3 weeks I googled the problem and punching a hole is a temporary fix but my cat. Is welded on. My question is should I get someone to punch a hole or what would be my best option and if I do nothing will my engine blow
Old 10-01-2011
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Clogged catalytic converter

Yes it could damage your engine if it is clogged. Your engine needs to get rid of it's exhaust and if it can't then that will damage the engine. You need to get it fixed as soon as possible! Your cat is for emissions so technically you don't need it for the car to work so punching a hole in it will work temporarily untill you can get it fixed.