Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

1999 Honda Civic will not start

Old 09-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FlatRockCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
1999 Honda Civic will not start

My Civic started having trouble missing under acceleration and getting worst. I noticed that sharp curves both left or right would cause the motor to almost stall. I realized that something was in the fuel tank. I dropped tank and found a little watery whit-ish substance in the bottom of the tank so I cleaned the tank, lines and fuel rail. Replaced the fuel filter and it made a hugh difference but still had some missing under heavy acceleration. I drove it for about 100 miles without noticing any missing issues thinking that it was all cleared up. Then it started again missing more than before and then died. Now it will not start.

1999 civic ex 1.6 stock
Engine Codes Show all cylinders misfire.
I have spark and fuel pressure and the main relay is clicking.
I dont know the fuel PSI because I need a banjo bolt with a schrader valve port to attach the tester. But it holds pressure 1-2 minutes after the key is off. Six months before this I replaced the whole distributor unit.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-27-2011
Registered!!

Ricerocket2381 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1999 Honda Civic will not start

Originally Posted by FlatRockCivic
My Civic started having trouble missing under acceleration and getting worst. I noticed that sharp curves both left or right would cause the motor to almost stall. I realized that something was in the fuel tank. I dropped tank and found a little watery whit-ish substance in the bottom of the tank so I cleaned the tank, lines and fuel rail. Replaced the fuel filter and it made a hugh difference but still had some missing under heavy acceleration. I drove it for about 100 miles without noticing any missing issues thinking that it was all cleared up. Then it started again missing more than before and then died. Now it will not start.

1999 civic ex 1.6 stock
Engine Codes Show all cylinders misfire.
I have spark and fuel pressure and the main relay is clicking.
I dont know the fuel PSI because I need a banjo bolt with a schrader valve port to attach the tester. But it holds pressure 1-2 minutes after the key is off. Six months before this I replaced the whole distributor unit.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Your distributor is bad. every honda has the same problem. Ya there may be spark but a weak spark won't fire your engine. I have 15 years in shops and I never saw a fuel issue on a honda. All Hondas have the same problem. Inspect the inside of the cap for white fine powdery debris.
Old 09-27-2011
Registered!!

I took the cap off and found very little white dust but there is some. I was wrong on the replacement time of the distributor it was one year ago. I will replace the distributor, cap & rotor to see if that works, Thanks
Old 09-27-2011
Registered!!

Thank You Ricerocket2381 That fixed the problem of not starting. I just replaced the distributor 09/2010 with only 10,000 miles on it. Maybe thats what I get for buying remanufactured parts. But the auto parts store replaced it no questions asked.
Now I need to fix gas leaks at the injectors and rail. Thanks again.