Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

Automatic window not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jaw444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Automatic window not working

I just got this 2008 Civic a week and a half ago. Everything was working fine until yesterday. I was parked in the car with the ignition ACC on, engine off, i was making some phone calls, for about a half hour. At some point the car started beeping. I didn't know why. Soon after that, i tried to turn on the car in order to go to my appointment and the engine would not turn over, no ignition at all. Auto Club came out and said the battery was dead, they charged it and i immediately went and had a new battery installed.

I don't know if it's related to that, but today, the automatic window is not working, i mean, when you press down (or pull up) on the window button for a second, you can let go and the window will go down (or up) automatically without holding the button down--that was working fine until today. Now I have to hold the button down to raise or lower the window, i can't let go, it won't operate automatically.

I looked in the manual and don't see anything about any setting where you could turn off the auto window, so i think something is wrong with it.

Anyone know what can cause this, or how it can be fixed?
Old 07-15-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Automatic window not working

I got this from the 8th gen site.

1) Open the window all the way.
2) Pull up and hold the window switch until the window is closed, then continue holding it up for about 5-10 seconds.
3) Hold the switch down until the window is completely opened, then continue holding the switch for 5-10 seconds.
Old 07-15-2011
Registered!!

jaw444 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraigW
I got this from the 8th gen site.

1) Open the window all the way.
2) Pull up and hold the window switch until the window is closed, then continue holding it up for about 5-10 seconds.
3) Hold the switch down until the window is completely opened, then continue holding the switch for 5-10 seconds.

Thank you! That worked fine. Is this something that routinely happens on a Civic? I drove a 93 Acccord for about 11 years and it never happened, and i drove a Prius for about 2 1/2 years and it never happened. Do they get thrown off when things happen like battery going dead? Is there a way of trying to avoid it?
Thanks again, glad i don't have to take it in.
Old 07-15-2011
Registered!!

08EX is an unknown quantity at this point

When the battery dies, some of the programmable things go back to default. Other things that are programmable include sunroof switch functions and defrost with/without automatically running AC. There may be others.