Electronics Post information/questions/Issues about Electronic parts here.

Passenger seat Weight Sensor SRS light

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pjw73nh is an unknown quantity at this point
Passenger seat Weight Sensor SRS light

Greetings,

I've got an 07 EX. 73k. Bought it used at 36k 2 years ago. No issues since. Wife hit a deer a 2 weeks ago. Damage to left front headlight, bumper, fender, drivers door and hood (slight).

As I was driving over to the body shop for an estimate I noticed the airbag light on. After the estimate it was off. The short story is that the issue is intermittent. Sometimes when I start the car it comes on and stays on. (turning the car off and restarting will usually extinguish it). Sometimes it just goes through the self test and goes out (like it should).

I told the body shop and the insurance adjuster about it. When I got the car back after all the work was done, the light was out. After driving it several times over the next 2-3 days it began its previous behavior. It only comes on and stays on when I start the car and not every time. It never comes on while the car is running. Only after a start.

The body shop said that the issue was not "consistent" with a "wildlife left front impact". Thus the repair was not covered. It turns out the issue is the passenger seat "weight sensor". If I was the insurance adjuster or the guy at the body shop I would have to agree. BUT....I find it extremely coincidental that the issue has NEVER happened until this collision.

Anyway, I did have this verified and it IS in fact a code that indicates it is the passenger seat weight sensor.

So what's the cure? Live with the intermittent issue? Replace the sensor? I saw that there are two sensors listed. An "occupant" sensor and a "weight" sensor. Both with differing part numbers. Is it a simple job to replace it? Easy to get to? Any calibrations or cautions (deployment) that I should know about? Could it be a connector, wire etc?

The body shop guy said there was a recall on this sensor. I checked with Honda, only two recalls on this car. Rear wheel bearing, and brake light switch.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?.

Thanks.

P.../NH
Old 08-24-2011
Registered!!

jemiller66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Passenger seat Weight Sensor SRS light

I have been having the same problem. I have a 2010 Civic Sedan and I just took it back to the dealership (2nd time) this morning. They said the sensors are EXTREMELY sensitive. The guy in the service department I spoke with said anything sitting in the passenger seat can cause the error to occur, even something as light as a water bottle. He told me if the light comes back on with nothing sitting in the passenger seat, they'll replace it. You would probably be told the same thing if you were to have someone look at it so just pay attention to when it happens and if there's anything in the seat to set it off.
Old 08-30-2011
Registered!!

gabrielsynn is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Passenger seat Weight Sensor SRS light

I worked on a Yaris with the same issue, the sensor was bolted to the seat rail, that might be a place to check.