Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

07 Civic Si clutch went out

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hbmetalmaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Post 07 Civic Si clutch went out

My 2007 Civic Si that I've had for three weeks just had its clutch go out on the freeway.

While driving on the freeway, I engaged cruise control. After less than five seconds, cruise control was cancelled. I thought I might have touched the brake or clutch on accident and I didn't think much of it. After re-engaging cruise control, it did the same thing again. After six or seven times I was like WTF and knew that something was wrong because I've used the cruise control many times without any issues.

The engine would also rev way too high for my speed and it would rev up and down without changing speed. I pulled over and it smelled as if there was burning solder under the hood. I got back in and tried to drive home. I had to release the clutch WAYYYY too far for it to grab and it would hardly grab, as if I was doing a clutch burn-out.

So after reading here and on other forums I've concluded that my clutch has in fact taken a huge ****.

I just took it to the dealership to have it replaced under warranty. They said they would if it was not due to abuse. I'm also having my 3rd gear synchro issue dealt with as well. They told me that they wouldn't charge me for labor for the clutch work since they're tearing it apart anyway for the 3rd gear. So, worst case scenario I'll have to pay for the clutch myself. However, I'm very confident that the cause was a failing pressure plate because it took a **** so damn fast and I don't abuse or launch my car. Oh, and yes, I know how to properly drive a stick. I've driven nothing but manuals for nine years and my last Honda had 156K on it with the original clutch when I sold it.

The consultant that helped me mentioned that clutches and brake pads/rotors are only covered for 12,000 miles, regardless of time. I've never seen this and I've studied my warranty carefully. I asked him to show me and he couldn't find it after ten minutes of looking on his computer. Oh well.

They're supposed to call me tomorrow afternoon with a progress report so I'll let you guys know what happens.

Anyone else ever had a similar experience?
Old 05-25-2011
Trance Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 07 Civic Si clutch went out

There's a huge thread floating around here about your gen's 3rd gear synchro issue. Pain in the *** issue. As for the clutch.....what about the previous owner/owners? These cars aren't usually in the hands of the smartest bunch of drivers. I've seen plenty of morons doing dumb stuff in them.

Last edited by MelJ; 05-25-2011 at 10:35 PM.