Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2004 Civic EX giving a hard way to go

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
66 Big Block is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Civic EX giving a hard way to go

I am new here so please be gentle. Here is the scoop:

My wife had to drive my son back to college last week. It is about a 2 hour drive with no stops made and no problems with the car.

She stayed there for about a half hour then left to come home. The drive was uneventful until she got about a mile from home. At the point she said the temp gauge shot straight up to hot, as far as it would go. She said there was the smell of anti freeze at that time.

I checked the car over and nothing in regards to the heating and cooling system and everything appears fine. So I go to take the car for a ride. Temp gauge went to just below the mid point and stayed there. But I did notice something else it started to do.

When the car is in motion the heater will blow heated air. The moment you stop, like at a traffic light, it stops blowing hot air and then blows cold air. I am expecting the heater core might be shot

car has about 129000 miles on it and has never had problems outside of tires, brakes and regular oil change.

Any advice?
Old 04-19-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 2004 Civic EX giving a hard way to go

go to a shop and ask for gases in the coolant test - most likely head gasket leaking combusted gases to the coolant system.
If gases detected, need to change the gasket and check head for uneveness.
Also, change the fonts on your post - it's just hard to read.