Rear Control arms, rear tire wear early models the early models had an issue with the rear control arms (upper) and have a tendency of rapid rear tire wear

07 tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02sport is an unknown quantity at this point
07 tire wear

I have an 07 civic EX with 95000 miles on it.Can't keep tires on it.I know the issue with the rear strut arms or whatever they are called.Will Honda replace these out of warranty?Will the replacements be adjustable which will fix the problem?
Old 04-09-2011
Registered!!

_Zeus_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 07 tire wear

Its the rear tires your having the problem with? If so it sounds like the camber is out of adjustment. Go get a 4 wheel alignment.
Old 04-09-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

most 06+ civics have rear camber issues due to defective lower arms. you could just get an aftermarket camber kit that will work better and is adjustable (not only for lowered car but stock too). SPC goes for around $150 and is pretty good. if you are having someone else install it, just go to a suspension shop so they can install and then do an alignment right away.
Old 04-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

There was a recall notice for this issue, go to the dealership and they should correct the problem free of charge even though the warranty has expired.
Old 04-26-2011
Registered!!

07exNavi is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having the same issue, my 07 ex coupe has 46,XXX miles and it is tearing the rear tires to shreds. Anyways...

I brought this to my dealerships attention last week over the phone and they said they couldn't fix it under warranty and that I should call the 1-800 number for Honda. I called got a case number and was told to bring the car in yesterday for an inspection. I brought the car in and they told me that they could ONLY tell if there was a problem by checking the tire wear. They checked and reported back there there was no problem. I told them to take measurements of the camber and toe on the rear and I was told, "thats not possible." I then said I would bring back the tires which were on the car before I rotated and stopped using the old rears because of wear (about 1500 miles ago). That was why they couldn't find wear on the vehicle. After this they reluctantly put it up on a lift and inspected it, they told me that I DO NOT have the updated control arms. They also said that I would have to pay to have them installed. The reason for this is because the original tires were not on the vehicle and they could not verify that they had been rotated.

After that I called Honda and they are currently reviewing the case. I was told that a free fix was unlikely but they might try to "help me out" with this issue.

Those are the facts here is my opinion of the matter. I purchased the car in 08 brand new from the dealership in question. Now they do not want to fix an issue that they have known about, but neglected to inform me of since 08 shortly after my purchase. This issue will cost me a small fortune in tires over the life of the car and it was defective from the factory. The dealership is trying to give me a run around because I'm 21 years old and they feel that I wont make a big deal out of this. I base this off of them telling me that they cant measure the camber and toe of the rear tires, if they cant do that then having them do an alignment would be fraudulent.

Anyone have any advice for me here? and short answer No they wont replace your control arms out of warranty.Also if you have a civic which is close to the warranty time expiring take it in and make them fix everything!
Old 04-26-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

right now the cheapest thing would be get an aftermarket adjustable camber kit like SPC for the rear ($150) and have an alignment shop install and align it (maybe $200 labor total). and problem solved.
Old 05-18-2011
Registered!!

07exNavi is an unknown quantity at this point

An update on this, they said they would swap out the control arms with the updated ones for around 90$ (labor included) for me. I am trying to make that happen on Friday.

After that ill have to get new tires mine are starting to split on the inside edge.
Old 05-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

g'luck!
Old 05-18-2011
Registered!!

Too Tall will become famous soon enoughToo Tall will become famous soon enough

http://www.nhtsa.gov/

If you live in USA, file a report here. If enough people file reports on the same issue, NHTSA can force Honda to fix the problem regardless of original warranty.
Old 02-27-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone that stumbles across this thread, the (US Class Action Settlement) warranty extension period has now officially ended.

All issues are now the customers' responsibility, not Hondas.