Bolt-on Engine Performance This section is for easy bolt-on engine modifications Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

08 civic lx cold air intake problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smoore08civic is an unknown quantity at this point
08 civic lx cold air intake problems

I have a 08 civic lx I put a long tube cold air intake on and now it stalls and sputters when I come to a stop and when I go. It also rev's up to 1000 rpms and then slowly goes down to 600rpms. Honda says that the intake is what's causing it to do this. Can anyone help with my problem.
Old 02-22-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: 08 civic lx cold air intake problems

Did the problem begin immedietly following the installation of the intake or did it begin at some point after it was installed?
Old 02-22-2011
Registered!!

It started doing this directly right after I put it on

Last edited by smoore08civic; 02-22-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Then I suspect something went wrong during the install and as a result the engine is being starved of oxygen. Look over the intake and make sure theres nothing blocking the piping, check the filter and if thats all good then try re-installing the OEM intake just to rule out that as a possibility. I doubt the intake itself is causing this and I've never heard of something like this happening, something must have happened during the install and the idiot techs can't figure it out.
Old 02-23-2011
Registered!!

Yeah I did that, I put the oem intake back yesterday and now it run fine. I don't get it The only thing that a cold air induction does is delete all restriction and bring in cold air. Do you think that the ecm needs to be reflashed so it knows it's bringing in more cold air. This is the first honda I have ever had this problem with.

Last edited by smoore08civic; 02-23-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Reflashed, no, but it may need to be retaught idle, which is done by simply pulling a fuse. I can search later on a see what fuse it is exactly on 8th gens that needs to be pulled.
Old 02-23-2011
Registered!!

Thanks for helping
Old 04-08-2011
Registered!!

Well I just took the cold air intake off and put the stock air intake back on. I couldn't figure out why it runs this way with it on.
Old 04-08-2011
Registered!!

RemyL31 will become famous soon enough

Did you try just removing the cone filter off of the cold air intake to see if it runs fine after that?

My guess would be that the filter does not allow enough air to pass through.
Old 04-08-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its due to the MAF sensor placement. If it is too close to the filter or near a bend in the intake pipe, the airflow will be turbulent and cause all sorts of problems. It needs to be on a straight part of the pipe, and there is no way to move it around. its just wherever the company decides to put it on the pipe. some brands are better than others.
Old 04-08-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
its due to the MAF sensor placement. If it is too close to the filter or near a bend in the intake pipe, the airflow will be turbulent and cause all sorts of problems. It needs to be on a straight part of the pipe, and there is no way to move it around. its just wherever the company decides to put it on the pipe. some brands are better than others.
If this is the problem, what brand intake did you buy so it can be avoided by others?
Old 04-08-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i have a 7thgen, so those intakes dont matter because there is no maf, only map. check 8thcivic.com to see which intakes work best for 8thgens.
Old 04-08-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
i have a 7thgen, so those intakes dont matter because there is no maf, only map. check 8thcivic.com to see which intakes work best for 8thgens.
Oh, sorry, I was referring to smoore08civic on which intake he bought so everyone can avoid that one
Old 03-17-2012
Registered!!

Ronald2cuSmile is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smoore08civic
I have a 08 civic lx I put a long tube cold air intake on and now it stalls and sputters when I come to a stop and when I go. It also rev's up to 1000 rpms and then slowly goes down to 600rpms. Honda says that the intake is what's causing it to do this. Can anyone help with my problem.
I'm having the same problem on my 08 civic ex. Even with the stock intake it has a slight hesitation. With the cold air intake & the sensor unplugged the car runs super stop & go but horrible afterwards. Have another sensor installed "Jet" but still the stop & go problems. Runs super after 20mph.