Electrical Post information/questions/Issues about Electric parts here.

Frozen Electrolyte inside car battery

Old 01-22-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kellieanne is an unknown quantity at this point
Frozen Electrolyte inside car battery

I have a 2009 Honda Civic and live in a cold climate right now. yesterday it snowed and I wasnt able to get to clear off my car from snow, I went out this morning to dig out and went to start it and it wouldn't turn over, my father came over and we read in the owners manual that the battery electrolytes may be frozen and to not jump it till it is thawed out.
I should also mention the car is only two years old and I keep up with its maintiance because it is a lease.
My question is...will I be able to jump it once the battery thaws out
and is the battery now ruined?
my other question is will anything else in the car's engine be damaged? I know now to make sure no matter what I clear off my car of any snow..oh and yea the temp right now is 12 degrees F
thanks for your advice in advance
Old 01-22-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Frozen Electrolyte inside car battery

ive never heard of a battery freezing at that temp. i used to drive around all the time when it was -10F and never had a frozen battery. always started up the first try, altho it took a few more turns of the starter. i never cleared snow off the car either. just drove it down to the local car wash and sprayed it all off. otherwise it would take forever.
Old 01-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
narcross is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a 09 vtec and this morning fo the first time ever it didnt start i got a boost and drove to work but afterwards it wouldnt start turns out the batt froz and if that happens its garbage called the dealer and got a new one, the batt shouldnt freez if it does its probably garbage
Old 01-25-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

do you have any details what kind of battery was used? i know it says honda prolly, but what are the specs like the group size and the cca rating.