Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicnewb1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
clutch issues

Hi everyone,
I was hoping someone experienced here could help me.

I drive a honda civic lx and recently I have noticed that in 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th gear when I press on the gas the engine will rev with very little acceleration. Its like the clutch is still depressed. I have less than 25k miles on it. I can't say I drive conservatively but I don't burn out at every stop either. Is my clutch already giving out? Could it be that the clutch cable is stretched? Could it be that the clutch is slipping? Any ideas?
Old 12-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: clutch issues

Clutch system is hydraulic. Fluid in an enclosed system acts like a solid so, when you press on the pedal and it pushes on the master cylinder which pushes fluid that runs in the lines to push the slave cylinder (on the clutch housing). So it's either a bad master cylinder, leaking line or, a bad slave cylinder. I'm betting it's the slave cylinder (common problem with most clutches because it's the weakest part of the system). Look for leaks, probably won't find one as it's an internal leak in one of the cylinders. *To disconnect either cylinder make sure you use 1 wrench on the line and 1 on the nut as the line will twist and you'll have to replace it. Good luck, keep us posted. Pics are nice too. lol.
Old 12-19-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for the help. First I am going to bring it to the dealership since it should still be under warranty. But if it isn't I will be looking at a little diy project and I will try to put some pics up.
Old 12-19-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

With just 25k miles it shouldnt be the clutch out already. Like above said look for leaks at the master cylinder or slave cylinder. Check the fluid in the resovior to.
Old 12-28-2010
Registered!!

So it turns out that my clutch is slipping so I am installing a new one right now. I should have some pictures up in a couple days.
Old 02-10-2011
Registered!!

sstupid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civicnewb1988
So it turns out that my clutch is slipping so I am installing a new one right now. I should have some pictures up in a couple days.
I'm going to have to install a clutch in my '06 Civic in a few days. Do you have any pics and any instructions? I realize the front subframe has to be dropped, but I don't know specifics on disconnecting the steering and such. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2011
Registered!!

well my first recommendation to you is to google mitchel 1 diy. Open the first link of the search. This website is a branch of snap-on tools and they are the best. You have to subscribe to it but it is pretty inexpensive. you can pay for a week or a year for your vehicle. they have very accurate directions on how to perform almost any fix on your vehicle. It takes you step by step through the dis-asembly and re-asembly of the whole clutch change project. its like 20 bucks for a year. GO REGISTER!!! its really a great website.

Also you will need an engine hoist. (rent one or maybe your friend has one)
Something that helps alot is a transmition jack. (you can probably rent it as well) Space is really limited inside the engine bay and trust me you will like the jack.

As far as disconnecting the steering from the subframe, there are (i think) 3 brackets that you have to disconnect along the rear crossmember of the subframe. they can be a little tricky to get to. also there are clips that hold the brake lines. the subframe should come down as one piece. you don't want to take it apart. i think there is 1 large bolt at each corner for a total of 4 bolts.