Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

97 Honda civic failed CLT test, not a head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HondaHowTo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
97 Honda civic failed CLT test, not a head gasket

Hey guys I'm working on a civic right now and I just pulled the head today. I was expecting to see a chunck missing from head gasket between 3 and 4. The gasket was fine, so I was wondering if it could possibly be a warped head? It failed a CLT by making connection from cyl 4 and 3. Also his valves look funny lol, they got like white orangish looking chalky type stuff on 3 of the cyl's exhaust valves, I guess these would be burnt valves? (pictures attached). cyl 1's valves looks completely normal. I was just wondering if any ones seen this before and knows what the problem and probable cause may be. If ya read this far then thank you for your time and your input would be greatly appreciated.

Customer complaint: Overheating, replaced temp sensor, check engine light, drove aprox 5 times after car started over heating, car has 250k miles on it, never replaced head gasket

In addition: Radiator is leaking (which would be one reason for overheating), 4 codes; 3 cyl skip codes and 1 general skip code,

Thanks
~Jordan~
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0034.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	78587   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0035.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	78588   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0036.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	78589  
Old 06-30-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 97 Honda civic failed CLT test, not a head gasket

Radiator leaking caused the initial overheat. Which caused the head gasket failure. You often can't see it on the head gasket itself that it has failed. Get the head machined by a professional shop, they will check for warpage and such, get them to make sure the valves are okay. Might cost him 200 bucks but it's well worth it. It should fix his overheating issue.
Old 07-01-2010
Registered!!

civicpapi is an unknown quantity at this point

I was told that if you do the head gasket, should do piston rings as well since you will be bringing up the compression or something like that.

If the car overheated, you might need to check it for warpage, send it out to a machine shop, many times a head gasket repair fails because many shops overlook that step.
Old 07-01-2010
Registered!!

HondaHowTo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys still haven't figured it out yet, but I'm gonna check the head today to see if its warped. The spec is 2 thousands of an in (level clearance, pretty tight haha) and min serviceable head height was like 3.159in or something like that. And yeah whenever you shave the head it makes a higher compression ratio, but I'm just fixing the overheating and skip problem so it'll be ok to leave the ring he's got in there. Thanks guys very much for your input.

If anyone else has an idea of what the problem may be and probable cause I'd appreciate the input

Recap: Problem, open connection, relationship between cylinder 3 and 4 (under 150psi w/ CLT)
Old 07-01-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Already told you its probably the head gasket. What else could possibly cause it? Just because you can't visually see it has failed does not mean it hasn't.