Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

New honda civic 2010 having starting problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HonadaTech is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New honda civic 2010 having starting problems?

This car needs a main relay and a sub main relay had problems with water in them from the factory. Have them replaced and your problem is fixed
Old 03-31-2011
Registered!!

speedy25 is an unknown quantity at this point

That last post is the first one I read that made ANY sense!

The other thing that might be the problem is a temp sensor. The ECU doesnt know the temp so it cant enrich to compensate. I havent had to work much on the newer cars so I cant give you a for sure answer, but this is based on similar car problems on older vehicles.

I do have to concur with poor work at most all garages. Sorry but finding a competent mechanic who actually uses his brain is a tough thing to find. People find me for the same reasons to fix their cars but I'm not in the "business" but I get some pretty funny stories on whats wrong and then find the real cause!!

Good luck on keeping your rides trouble free!

-SP
Old 04-10-2011
Registered!!

JLCauser is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2011 civic did the same thing ever since I bought it in September! It does it randomly and became very frustrating! Like you said, it's hard for them to find the issue because they could never duplicate the problem. I took it into the dealership 3 times and was very unsatisfied with the way they handled the situation. They tested everything. The first time they told me to change the gas station I used and the second time they suggested that it was because my floor mat was touching my gas pedal. After the third time, I fought them until they agreed to giving me a new car! You should look into the lemon laws in your state. It could be a simple fix but it's not your problem if they can't find and repair the issue and you shouldn't have to pay for a new car that continually has issues. Good luck!
Old 04-28-2011
Registered!!

Michelle82 has a spectacular aura aboutMichelle82 has a spectacular aura about

JL Causer- What state are you in? And when you say you convinced them to give you a new one, who? The dealer or did you have to go through American Honda?
I have taken mine in 10 plus times and have contacted the AG in my state to start the lemon law process.
I have had the fuel pump replaced, the fuel relays replaced, and I start my car the way you guys mention, by turning it to the 2 position and waiting on the pump to power up. None of that has worked.
JLCauser, do you have a case number you could share with any of us that you used with American Honda? I was told we can all link our case numbers together to help. I'll give out mine if anyone would like.
Old 04-28-2011
Registered!!

I had the relays fixed that the HondaTech references and it didn't fix my car. I also start it using the 2 position and none of that has worked.
Honda is making crap cars. My 2006 and 2007 didn't do this.
Old 04-28-2011
Registered!!

The 2011 models are affected also for the person who asked. I have a 2011 EX coupe and have had issues since 200 miles.
Old 05-13-2011
Registered!!

Bij4262 is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought my 2010 civic last summer. The car only has about 1000 miles on it so it hasn't been driven much at all, but I have experienced these starting problems probably about a dozen times or so. The dealer did diagnostic tests and could not find anything wrong w/the car. The last couple of times this occurred, I paid close attn to the symbols on the dash, and the key symbol was lit up. That's when I read the posts on this forum and determined that it was an immobilizer problem. When I took my car back to the dealer to get the keys recoded, I was told that the keys were working fine, and that the only way to diagnose the problem accurately is to have the car towed in when it won't start. I'm not convinced. Anyway, if/when the problem occurs now, I just take the key completely out of the ignition, put it back in, and it starts up fine. Just seems to me that this is one of those hit or miss things that will be very hard to solve. Plus the dealers tell you they've never heard of this problem. Reminds me of when my tires kept going flat a few years ago on my other car, and after some online research, I found out defective tire valves were on my tires that were distributed during a certain period to tire shops. At the time however, the tire shop claimed they never heard of this defective tire valve problem. Several months later, the problem aired on the local news, and the NTSB opened a file on it.

It's just frustrating because I bet once the warranty runs out on this new car, the solution to the problem will finally be determined and it'll cost a pretty penny to fix it! I hope that everyone who has been experiencing this problem continue to post here.
Old 05-14-2011
JML
Registered!!

JML is an unknown quantity at this point

The appearance of the problem is quite alarming. I took my 2011 civic back to the dealer (barely a month old) due to the same intermittent starting issues that ppl have been describing here. They told me again and again the car's fine, and that the II position of the key is everything to avoiding starting issues. It wasn't. It did it again- As someone here said, what's the point of all this electronic silliness if it's only something extra to repair in the long run- I haven't heard of such things happening to previous gen civics.
Old 05-20-2011
Registered!!

JLCauser is an unknown quantity at this point

So I got an email today from Civic Forums that I haven't been logged on in a while and wanted to check in. Michelle had private messaged me but I wanted to share what I told her with you all too.

I was very happy that they gave me another 2011 and everything is working well on it. Until I got a bill and noticed that the amount for total pay off was substantially higher than my last one. I wasn't sure how that could be since it was just supposed to be a substitution of collateral, everything INCLUDING the payments I'd already made over 6 months. I went through my paper work and what they had done was trade in my vehicle giving me negative equity and transferring the remaining balance to the new car! They also charged me for a 2nd time with fees for my warranty, freight fee to have the car brought to dealer ($750!) an interior and exterior protection package that was almost double the price I paid the first time that came with a 3 year used car warranty instead of 5 year new warranty, re registering my vehicle except they didn't change the date so I will need to renew my registration in Sept. 11 instead of April 12! There was a slew of charges on there. When I called to complain to the finance department, the guy told me to go over the paperwork myself and then when I bitched to the manager, he told me they "DON'T" do substitutions of collateral (which I was told by Honda they did) and that even if they did, my car wouldn't qualify because it is not new, it's 6 months old! Lemon law in VA is 18 months and you have to take it in atleast 3 times which I did. Now Honda won't help because I signed the paperwork and there's nothing I can do. I have gotten a lawyer and we are working out the details for a lawsuit against their company. Please look over every detail of everything you sign. Just like many companies out there, Honda has turned into a money hungry corporation and no longer care if they make shitty cars or screw their customers out of money!
Old 05-20-2011
Registered!!

RemyL31 will become famous soon enough

That's awful...Keep us posted on what happens with the lawyer
Old 01-16-2012
Registered!!

Greg_Elite is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea My Mom's civic has been having the same issue. I feel really bad/angry. She bought a new 2011 Civic. This shouldn't happen. I advice her to go to the dealer and have them take a look. I told her to be prepared to keep coming back until they gave her a new car. She doesn't want to fight them about it.

Found a video someone else posted on youtube that seems to describe what's happening.
http://youtu.be/Ou5YrZWY5bE

The only difference is I think her clock is on in the center.
Old 01-17-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ It looked as if she was constantly holding the key at the start position....? Also, like some of the dash lights were not on that should have been (maybe since it was in start position ??) The other thing I noticed was the anti theft light on the radio was still blinking. The video to me says electrical (possibly missing some voltages) Maybe the relays that were mentioned ??

My 2010 only ever had starting issue 1 time, and has been perfect every start before and since. It was more of a would not stay running problem, the video is a no crank situation.
Old 01-24-2012
Registered!!

waltersac is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have the same starting problem, it has been happening since my car had about 2000 miles on it. I took it to the dealership 3 times and they kept giving me the run around and said they could not find anything wrong. The only thing that they told me was the immoblizer system was not the problem cause that will completely stop the car from starting. I have tried everything that I have seen suggested on here so far and nothing has worked. My car no has 23000 miles and still has that problem and now has a worse problem.

When I went to start the car the check engine light came on and the engine compartment was making a squeeking noise when I put the car in drive it took off like normal untill it shifted into 2nd gear. When it shifted it slamed into gear and would not shift into 3rd gear. When I stop it would go back to 1st gear and then slam into 2nd gear and that was it.

I took it to the dealership to get it fixed and now that I'm on here I am seeing that a lot of people are having the same starting problem. I hope that someone else can give me some more insight to either problem and I will be talking to the dealership and Honda corporate about the issues with my car and will be informing them that I have found a lot of people with the same problem and try to get the problem fixed and figured out so that everyone else can know how to fix the problem.
Old 01-24-2012
Registered!!

waltersac is an unknown quantity at this point

The dealership I took my car to told me that it could not be the imoblizer system. that system wuold either not allow the car to start at all or it will let the car start just fine. It will not cause the hard or long start.
Old 02-02-2012
Registered!!

brok3npr0mise is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have been experiencing these starting problems. I recently purchased a used 2010 honda civic with 15,000 miles on it in December. The car was a lease return. I, twice, have experienced this problem. The first time it was about 20 degrees outside, so I chalked it up to fact that it was just cold out. And the first time it did it, I just turned the key completely off, then turned it over again and it started. I didn't think much of it, because it hadn't happened since....until tonight. When I got out of work, the dash said it was 32 degrees, and tonight I turned the key over and it's almost like the car started, then stalled out. So, I turned the key completely to the off position, then turned it over again and it started right up. It's very frustrating because my mom has a 2009 CRV and loves it and that's the whole reason I wanted to get a Honda. I hate to think that I just financed a car for 6 years that I am going to have issues with!!!
Old 02-03-2012

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ Hold the key at II until you hear the buzzing in the rear stop, then crank the engine over.

Try it a few times you will see.
Old 02-15-2012
Registered!!

steveincali is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having the same starting issue with my 2011 Honda. I first brought it to the dealer at 15,000 miles and they could not duplicate the problem - "sorry sir, there is nothing wrong with your car." I brought it in again today with 20,000 miles on it and the dealer says there is still nothing they can find wrong since they cannot duplicate the problem. I am very frustrated and asked them to keep the car another day and keep trying to duplicate the problem. I want this fixed before my warranty is up at 30,000 miles.
Old 02-15-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A) Describe YOUR problem, since there are several in the thread.
B) Turn the key faster, buzz is normal if you turn the key too slow. No fix possible.
C) Basic warranty runs out at 36k, not 30.
Old 02-16-2012
Registered!!

Sorry Ezone - My problem is the same as many others here...periodically when I turn the key nothing will happen - car will not start. The 2 times I took it to the dealer they could find nothing wrong. The problem occurs only intermittently, perhaps every few days or sometimes a few times in the same day. I will keep bringing it back to the dealer to have the issue documented...in the meantime I will try the #2 position for the key suggestion...for the fuel pump to stop.

Last edited by steveincali; 02-16-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-16-2012

There are a couple of different situations in this thread. Holding the key at 2 is for cars that crank over and may start then die/may not start on the first attempt requiring a second cranking. (This can happen with Honda and Toyota, and likely others)

The video link some replies up is a whole different situation...that is a strange one in my opinion.
Old 02-16-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveincali
when I turn the key nothing will happen

Pick one scenario here, or explain more than "nothing" and "won't start":

Does the dash go dark when you try to crank it as if there was no battery power at all, then come back to life after a few minutes, then start and run fine?

Or does the dash stay lit up but no starter action?

Or does it just crank and crank and crank and crank and not run on its own?
Old 02-16-2012
Registered!!

The dash stays lit & no starter action...
Old 02-16-2012

Ok, you may have to pay close attention next time it does it....what DOES happen when you turn the key to crank it?

Click or buzz from somewhere in the dash?

KLUNK from the engine compartment?

No sound whatsoever?

Does the immobi light flash (green key symbol) while it won't crank?
(C&P: If the wrong key has been used or the code was not received or recognized by the units, the immobilizer indicator will come on for about 2 seconds, then it will blink until the ignition switch is turned to LOCK. When the ignition switch is turned to LOCK, the indicator will blink ten times.)

How do you get it to start?
Do you keep twisting the key repeatedly, or do you have to wait?
Old 02-16-2012
Registered!!

Ezone - The sound is like a buzz which I thought was behind the dash or under the hood. I do not recall the immobi light flashing during the no crank action. What I have done is release the key, take it out, put it back in, and turn it again...the car has always started on the second try.

After reading many of the other postings a few months back, I began to turn the key to postition 2 and let the fuel pump activate and stop...then proceed to turn the key all the way and the car starts. A few days ago I tried just starting the car by inserting & turning the key quickly as most of us do - and the no start issue happened a few times.

I will be picking up my car tomorrow from the dealer - they have not been able to replicate the problem. I called American Honda and they opened up a case...not quite sure what to do next...thanks for your responses. When I get my car back I will pay closer attention to all signs/symptoms when it happens.
Old 02-16-2012

I bet YOU will have to make it happen for them, so they can verify that either something is wrong with the car, or you are doing something wrong to cause it.

If you find the green key flashing as stated above, remove your key from the ring and use it by itself....Some other car keys can interfere, and other computer chips can too. Like a Mobil Speedpass, they used to cause problems.

Nobody (dealer) can even begin to do anything until the complaint is verified, that is step #1. (Prove it is broke.)

... (or an unusually complete set of symptoms are given by a qualified observer-- to make an educated guess from).
Old 03-02-2012
Registered!!

djkaity is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow!! Looking at all of these posts, Im glad to see that Im not the only one having problems with my Honda Civic. My 2010 Honda Civic LX is almost 2 years old Im also having a similar problem since the first month I had the car. It only happens in the mornings on the very first start. I would turn the key and all of the electronics will light up on the dashboard with what sounds like the fan running or something not very loud is running in the engine compartment, but the engine doesn't budge. Try turning the key again, and it starts right up. This problem only happens maybe once or twice a month. I have taken it back to the dealer twice and, of course, they can't find the problem. I also notice that they didn't give me any paperwork stating that they tried finding the problem. I have put alot of miles on my car since I bought it mainly due to the fact that my previous job was kinda far from where I live, therefore, the warranty has already expired. A Honda tech suggested that it could be an ingnition switch problem. I bought a new ingnition switch from the dealer last week and installed it that day, and this morning the problem occurred again so its not an ignition switch problem. Since my warranty is now up and they couldn't find the problem while it was still under warranty, does this mean that Im screwed? Can anyone offer any suggestions of what I can do? Sounds like Honda has a problem here with all the posts Im reading. Im hoping they can offer some help for people that have their car's under warranty and for people, like myself, that have their warranties expired now. Im going to take a video of this problem the next time it happens and look at it for myself (looking at the guages, symbols, etc.) and post it on here.
Old 03-02-2012

Wow!! Looking at all of these posts, Im glad to see that Im not the only one having problems with my Honda Civic.

There are only 30 people out of 30 million cars that have an issue. You found the only place in the world where people come to bitch about it.

My 2010 Honda Civic LX is almost 2 years old Im also having a similar problem since the first month I had the car. It only happens in the mornings on the very first start. I would turn the key and all of the electronics will light up on the dashboard with

ok

what sounds like the fan running or something not very loud is running in the engine compartment,

but the engine doesn't budge. Try turning the key again, and it starts right up.

Yup.
My SWAG:
Put a starter in it.This description (to me) means the starter motor is running but the Bendix didn't kick out to engage the gear teeth on the ring gear (T.C.).

I'm curious, is the problem more likely to happen if the temperature is really cold outside?

This problem only happens maybe once or twice a month. I have taken it back to the dealer twice and, of course, they can't find the problem.

The job can't even begin unless the complaint can be verified.
(This is where most people can't understand what goes on at a dealer.)
The dealer cannot just replace everything on the car. Any parts replaced under warranty MUST be proven bad. All parts can be called for by the factory for inspection. The factory can buck the claim if a part wasn't defective.

FYI: My own brand new 12 Civic got a starter at about 500 miles. But I have the luxury of just ordering what I need. I don't have to wait for some dealer flunky to try to make it broken.

I also notice that they didn't give me any paperwork stating that they tried finding the problem.

If there was no documentation, then it didn't happen.

I have put alot of miles on my car since I bought it mainly due to the fact that my previous job was kinda far from where I live, therefore, the warranty has already expired.

The 3/36 or the 5/60 is out? Starter is usually covered by the 5/60 powertrain warranty (I can't be positive without running actual numbers through Honda).

A Honda tech suggested that it could be an ingnition switch problem. I bought a new ingnition switch from the dealer last week and installed it that day, and this morning the problem occurred again so its not an ignition switch problem.

Duh.
I haven't seen any issues with ignition switches this new.

Since my warranty is now up and they couldn't find the problem while it was still under warranty, does this mean that Im screwed?

Ayup.
Remember that no-documentation thing above?

Can anyone offer any suggestions of what I can do?

You could call the 1-800 customer assistance number in the owners manual. Calmly explain all of this. See what happens.

Sounds like Honda has a problem here with all the posts Im reading.

Nope, no problems. LOL

Im hoping they can offer some help for people that have their car's under warranty and for people, like myself, that have their warranties expired now.

A tech has to PROVE the problem exists first.

Im going to take a video of this problem the next time it happens and look at it for myself (looking at the guages, symbols, etc.) and post it on here.

A video of only what you see probably won't do any good.

If you could capture the sound of the starter running but not engaged, that might be a help.

Rigging up a test light to the starter harness would be a valid test and be a starting point, you can wait for it to act up and report what the light did.
Old 03-02-2012
Registered!!

djkaity is an unknown quantity at this point

There are only 30 people out of 30 million cars that have an issue. You found the only place in the world where people come to bitch about it.

Well maybe perhaps not everyone knows about this site. I didn't know about this site until today. I also know about a dozen other people with the same problem that doesn't know about this site either.

It just happened again tonight. First time it has happened after the car has been running all day. In the past, its only happened first thing in the morning. Got a video of it and will take it to the Honda dealer tomorrow at their request. Thanks for the other info.
Old 08-08-2012
Registered!!

Jaymoon89 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having the same issue with my 2006 Honda Accord that I bought in June. 84,000 miles on it. Took it back to Carmax and was told that they checked the battery, starter, wires, alternator and even fuel injecting systems and nothing is wrong. It happens once and awhile. I even put a brand new battery. The battery was checked and is fine. I was told that Hondas are very sensitive in the security department. If the wheel isn't locked, then it won't start. It's supposedly a very common issue. Wheel positioning and starting. =\ I haven't paid attention to whether or not I move the wheel when it starts the second time. It's usually a slight panic moment when it doesn't start on the first attempt. I understand they can't fix anything if they can't find the problem or if they can't duplicate my complaint, but something's gotta give, right?!?! :-( Hope I'm not too late to get some feedback. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2012
Registered!!

wendymitchell62 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a honda civic 2009, it won't start. It kicks over but its like gas is not getting to the engine, could it be the fuel pump it has 75,000 miles on it

Quick Reply: New honda civic 2010 having starting problems?