I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

make HIGHBEAM on while LOWBEAM on

Old 12-27-2006
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
make HIGHBEAM on while LOWBEAM on

NOTE: replace all diode "1N4007" with the 6A-1000v
a memeber pointed out that the 1N4007 diode doesnt support enough Amps (only 1amp where as the 6A-1000V supports 6Amps).

this is sorrta like a DIY....but it pertains to the electrical portion...

ok.....this is a diagram/what to do if u want ur lowbeams to say on while ur high beams are on.....

NOTE: stock 01-03 civic's lowbeams will turn off when highbeams are enable....

what u want to do is get a diode that will allow electric flow forward, but not backward....

so......thats why you needa get this diode: POWER SUPPLY DIODE 6A-1000V

get it here:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...tnumber=6A-1KV

image from hidplanet:

STOCK:

so......now that you have n undstand what it does, you will need to add it to ur headlight wire....

u need to connect it to the highbeam to the lowbeam...

but first, you need to know how ur headlight works...here is a diagram

when ur car's headlight is off...there is no +12v and both the grounds are grounded

when ur parking lights are on, there is no +12v and both the grounds are grounded (same as being in "off mode")

when ur lowbeams are on, the +12v is on...and terminal #2 is grounded. terminal #3 is open (not connected aka not grounded)

when ur highbeams are on, the +12v is on...and terminal #2 is open and terminal #3 is grounded.

================================================== =

so if we want to make sure both of em are on durning highbeam mode, then we gotta use the diode 1N4007.

THEORY:

so the highbeam ground can flow into the lowbeam ground.... (when highbeam is enable)......but the lowbeam ground cannot flow into the highbeam ground....

ACTUALITY:

i frst did the diode like how the previous picture was, but my headlights were not lighting up correctly...when i turned on my lowbeam, my highbeams were also on...but when i fliped on highbeams, only the highbeam stayed on.

so i flipped it around

notice the diode 1N4007 is flipped around....

and then my lights worked properly...i dont undstand the reason...its not suppose to happen like that...but o well...hahah

heres a pix of how it looks

so whats the reason why we do this?

1. if u use stock headlights, you will retail ur lowbeam output when u hit highbeam which means more light will be produced when highs are on.

2. if ur using projector based (like TYC...or those halos projectors n such), you can keep both of em on for more output

3. MY REASON; if u run HIDs in a retrofitted TYC (or simular) u dont wanna be flipping ur hids/ballast on and off...on and off...on and off...when u use ur highbeams.... its bad for ur ballast....

4. to be cool like the 04-05 7thgencivcs

5. to have DRLs (if u can do it, but this gets a lil more advance)

=============================================

heres a pix of tsx retro in a projector based housing:

lowbeam on

lowbeam on while highbeam on

DRL (day time running lights):
i had to intergrade it in my hid wiringharness

-james

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 03-09-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-27-2006

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
yes! im the first to make a thread in this section.....woot

-james

/////////edit

its 4 in the morning.....i should go to sleep....

but i have a DIY tsx retro to post up......oh God....thats gonna take another 3hrs...

it has like 44 pixs

99 all

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 12-27-2006 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-28-2006
TTT
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TTT is an unknown quantity at this point
what about a middlebeam
Old 12-30-2006

lol.......middlebeam?
Old 01-03-2007
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
The diode works that way since the current flows from higher potential to low potential.

Both filaments have the positive [high potential] connected. The lights come on when the ground is connected, completing the circuit. When the high beams are on, the high beam's ground is connected. With the diode, the current runs from the positive of the low beam, through the filament, then through the high beam's ground.

Also, the diode is rated for 1 amp, and the low beams are 55w [I think] i=p/v, so 55w/12v=4.5 amps. It might not work well if you have your high beams on for a long period of time as it heats up, but i dunno.

This diode might be better, but if it works, hey, who cares
Parts Express:POWER SUPPLY DIODE 6A-1000V
Old 01-03-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
nice!
Old 01-13-2007
The black russian

hexed is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks a lot man, will use this very soon.
Quick noob question, how much extra stress does this put on .. lets say battery, alternator, or wiring?
Old 01-13-2007
Dain Bramaged.

jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quick common sense notice.

When one writes a DIY that one intends to put on a large forum board, it is advisable for one to use correct grammar, foregoing such terms as "a pix," "sorrta," "u" and "ur," and it is also advisable to have a solid grasp of the acronym "D.I.Y." before posting said article online. Such fallacies severly damage the credibility of the purported author of said work, thus damaging both his reputation and his ego.
Old 01-14-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Okay I havent been on here in a while but I have to say this is the most retarded post ive ever seen. First of all, there is a reason why you cant have both lo and hi on at the same time. why? because it causes the H4 bulb to BLOW UP. dual filament bulbs were not designed to run both filaments at the same time. second, it is illegal to have more than 4 running lights on at a time. third, if you have an hid retrofit then the entire low beam circuit should have its own harness and will not turn off with the hi beam anyway, making this whole writeup useless. that is, unless youre stupid enough to use the stock wiring to power hid ballasts. Bottom line, forget about doing this everyone. Not only is this illegal, it is also very dangerous and can cause severe electrical problems if done as described here. I have the ability to run both lo and hi at the same time, but i do so only on deserted back roads, and i have both beams on a separate, switched harness.
Old 01-15-2007
The black russian

Originally Posted by gearbox
Okay I havent been on here in a while but I have to say this is the most retarded post ive ever seen. First of all, there is a reason why you cant have both lo and hi on at the same time. why? because it causes the H4 bulb to BLOW UP. dual filament bulbs were not designed to run both filaments at the same time. second, it is illegal to have more than 4 running lights on at a time. third, if you have an hid retrofit then the entire low beam circuit should have its own harness and will not turn off with the hi beam anyway, making this whole writeup useless. that is, unless youre stupid enough to use the stock wiring to power hid ballasts. Bottom line, forget about doing this everyone. Not only is this illegal, it is also very dangerous and can cause severe electrical problems if done as described here. I have the ability to run both lo and hi at the same time, but i do so only on deserted back roads, and i have both beams on a separate, switched harness.
I have these cheap TYC kind of projectors from ebay, the bulbs are separate. Is there any other reason not to do it. (Already took into consideration the 4 running lights part)
Old 01-15-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
yea, the load on the electrical system that was only designed to "barely" run 55wx2 for the main beams. why do you think fog lights come with a completely new harness from honda? the factory wires werent made to support it. maybe for short periods you could do it, but thats still alot of power. on other cars that have the ability to run both lo and hi in separate housings actually have thicker wires to begin with, or they use two harnesses. the new 8thgen civic for example. but if you really need to drive with the hi beams on in the country backroads or something it would be better to get a new harness and run them separate. you can still wire the harness trigger to the hi beam so your factory switch would work, but then you have to get around the low beams turning off. so youll have to rewire the stock stuff too.
Old 01-16-2007
The black russian

Thanks, gearbox, that was my main question
Old 01-16-2007
Registered!!

mr.rowdy is an unknown quantity at this point
ok question on my h1's the running lights stay on with my low beam is there a way to make go off where my low beams are on i personally think it looks better
Old 01-16-2007
Premium Member

do you have tyc? well it doesnt matter, if you dont want running light part, just cut that power wire. dual filament bulbs have 3 wires, for the civic the red is parking light, green is signal, and black is ground. if you cut the red wire, the dim parking filament will not come on. but you will still have the bright filaments when you use the signal. but then you wont have any parking lights. or you could get creative and put a switch on the park wire to turn it on later if you want.
Old 01-17-2007
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
"country backroads"...lol
Old 05-05-2008
Registered!!

mrbanhbao has a spectacular aura aboutmrbanhbao has a spectacular aura about
Re: make HIGHBEAM on while LOWBEAM on

hey would this apply to hid pnp in a oem headlamp.
Old 05-05-2008
Premium Member

you guys are overcomplicating this too much. buy a new wire harness or make one, and run the hid off that. tap the trigger wire to the stock 12V wire, this is the wire that stays hot in both hi and lo beam mode. that way they will stay on all the time. its either red or red/yel wire depending on which side you pick driver or passenger. then if you have 01-03 civic, you dont even have hi beam so you are done. if you have 04-05, just use the oem harness to run them! there is no reason for any of this other stuff. if you have tyc or sonar separate hi beam, use the oem harness to run them!
Old 05-07-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrbanhbao
hey would this apply to hid pnp in a oem headlamp.
don't do it unless you have a harness. that's was stated on the first page. or if you want to burn up your car, then go for it.
Old 05-07-2008
Premium Member

fyi, the oem harness sucks for fog lights too. theres a 2 second delay when i use my fogs now and they only have halogen bulbs lol. crazy honda and their mini wires.
Old 05-07-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

that's why i have a complete harness that runs my low beams, high beams and fog lights and all of them get powered directly off the battery. crazy light from 4 sets of HID plus 100w high beams!
Old 05-07-2008
Premium Member

stop giving me ideas lol
Old 10-07-2008
Don't be a n00b, search ftw

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future

Wow, this thread saved me a lot of time and expensive theories.

And no, I am not doing this to be retarded. I have a full relay harness for my HID kit. It's just that it plugs into the stock harness and runs from there. Since I converted to the 04-05 front end and now have 2 separte bulbs...I need to minimize the wear and tear on ballasts when highbeams are turned on.
Old 10-07-2008

hope it helps! =]