Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Civic security- key fob range

Old 08-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suzanne2525 is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic security- key fob range

My 2015 has been broken into multiple times recently, no forced entry. What is the range of the key fob to unlock doors? My key will be inside my home, car parked across the street, and someone can open my doors. I went to Honda and they said there’s nothing they can do. I’m not sure how to secure my car without getting an alarm.
Old 08-11-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Civic security- key fob range

push the lock button every time you leave the car.
most auto unlock only works for a 2 feet distance to unlock the car.
Old 08-11-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

my x's 2015 si trunk was open when we left a restaurant. wasn't a robbery, just a fluke. she had a $5k pair of louboutin's sitting in the trunk that luckily were still there. she said it's happened a few times. sometimes the doors would also be unlocked. just random cars with the same code beaming through the air i assume. it also happened to my lincoln while i was at a mall christmas shopping. all my stuff was there but the trunk was open. i assume someones unlock button nearby matched my car. maybe someone has a remote with your code and they are aware of it. i've heard of people driving through lots hitting unlock hoping for an easy score. sounds like that's you. is stuff missing or is it just unlocked?

Last edited by RobertD; 08-11-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

My 2015 has been broken into multiple times recently, no forced entry.
You probably need security cameras to see what's happening and how someone is getting into your car.
What is the range of the key fob to unlock doors?
You can figure that out yourself. Push the fob buttons and see if your lights flash. Start walking.

I’m not sure how to secure my car without getting an alarm
The car has an alarm.
But it won't do anything if (A) the car wasn't actually locked in the first place, or if (B) someone has a physical key that fits your door lock, or (C) someone has a way to transmit a valid unlock signal to your car.

Relevant LINK
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...reau/95085746/
Old 08-11-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

ah, OK, so the 2015 does not have those keyless entry fobs that you keep in the pocket and just open the door with the handle to unlock the door?
I meant two feet for those, the regular remote is farther
Old 08-11-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
ah, OK, so the 2015 does not have those keyless entry fobs that you keep in the pocket and just open the door with the handle to unlock the door?
I meant two feet for those, the regular remote is farther
Yes they do have smart key and pushbutton start but we dont know if OP has that on their car. OP could have a plain key and standard keyless entry.

Smart key/touch entry, the car does not unlock until you grip the door handle
Old 08-14-2018
Registered!!

Suzanne2525 is an unknown quantity at this point

Come to find out, my driver’s door hasn’t been automatically locking when I walk away. The door has basically been unlocked this whole time, obviously making it easy for people to break in.

I toik it to honda this morning and so far, they can’t figure out what’s wrong. They’re still trying to diagnose but most likely will have to call an American Honda engineer (?). Looking to be a time consuming fix however luckily it’s still under warranty for another week.

Last edited by Suzanne2525; 08-14-2018 at 03:28 PM.