Is driving with no alternator safe? - Honda Civic Forum

Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2018   #1  
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really niceD17VTECPOWER is just really nice
Is driving with no alternator safe?

My 1 year old POS Denso alternator locked up, so I've been removing my battery and putting it on a charger daily until the replacement alternator arrives. I took the belt off since the alternator locked up. The new/used alternator should be here the 19th. The battery is an Optima yellow top D34, so it's a deep cycle and it won't be damaged. I am driving 60 miles daily with no accessories on besides my Scanguage, and all my lighting is LED, so it doesn't draw much power. The battery still has plenty of charge left when I get back home, and I have an extra fully charged battery with me just in case I get stuck in traffic or something. Is this safe? I'm worried that something may be damaged from running on too little voltage. Is something getting damaged a valid concern? I know I won't get stranded, so is doing this for another week until the replacement alternator comes OK? Thanks.
Old 03-13-2018   #2  
The Dongerator

Megalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to behold
Re: Is driving with no alternator safe?

If you plan on keeping the car consider buying a used (Honda OEM) alternator from a local junkyard ($30) as a spare.

It's pretty easy to break-off the positive terminal threaded stud during removal or installation.
Old 03-13-2018   #3  
Super Moderator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Is driving with no alternator safe?

Closed Thread