Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

replacing the car sterio of honda civic 2010

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neowauk NW is an unknown quantity at this point
replacing the car sterio of honda civic 2010

Hey Experts,

My 2010 civic's car stereo (car stereo with USB port under arm rest) stopped working . My mechanic asked to me to replace the stereo . However, I managed to find the stereo of a civic from a junk yard(at a small price) .Looking at it I am not able to figure out, if that is USB compatible. How can i can make sure , if my civic's USB port will work with this new stereo from junk yard.

Should I be looking for anything in particular?

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: replacing the car sterio of honda civic 2010

Is the USB port just for charging or is also for media transfer?

If you take the old radio out you should be able to see where the USB connects to it and compare. If it’s out of a similar year the Port is probably on the back for all models it’s just doesn’t get used if they make a car without USB.
Old 11-10-2017
Registered!!

Hey, Thanks for the reply.

The USB port is for media transfer as well. I am yet to take out my old radio yet( might take some time).

Anyway I am attaching the pics of the radio I saw at the junkyard. As you can see , there is no slot to connect a USB directly. But I am unsure, if the USB under arm rest can be connected to any of the 4 ports behind this radio by any means .. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	111776   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	111777   Click image for larger version

Name:	sticker.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	111778  
Old 11-10-2017
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

That smaller connector might be for the USB but I honestly don’t know.

Did you get the radio code for the junk yard radio you pulled out? I think you need the VIN to recover it from Honda?
Old 11-10-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Did the radio stop working completely, or did only the USB stop working?

The USB could be a wire/harness problem, or a problem in the electronic USB adapter--- on a USA car it is a separate unit from the radio.....about 20 wires on it, bolted to the floor, looks like it would be under the right front seat.

If you replace the radio, it's best to remove your own radio first and record the part numbers from the unit and look for an exact same replacement....or at least has the exact same connectors on the back.
Old 11-13-2017
Registered!!

Hey Golnat,
I still have not got the replacement radio yet. There is this guy, who runs the junkyard (he scraps the cars and sells the parts). I was planning to buy from him.So with out the code, we cannot operate the radio? If that is the case, probably I should not buy it..

Hey ezone- The radio stopped working completely. So are u saying there is a USB adapter and that actually does the conversion before the data goes into the alpine radio? If that is the case, radio in the attached pics might work with my USB port under arm rest,because adapter between usb port and the radio might do the trick.. make sense?
Old 11-13-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I know you are not in the US, and I only have some wire diagrams for North American cars. There were probably 6 different audio system configurations available on that model year, there were differences according to body style and trim level....so be careful and be certain the used radio matches your car.

The radio in your picture--the connectors appear to be in the same configuration (3, 14, 20, 17) as our "premium audio" unit which had the external amplifier. Make sure your old radio connectors are in the same order.

So are u saying there is a USB adapter and that actually does the conversion before the data goes into the alpine radio?
Correct.
USB--> adapter--> radio

My US diagram shows the adapter located under the front seat, and shows it having a 14 pin connector similar to the one on the back of the radio, and a 4 pin connector similar to a usb (actually 5 wires, 4 pins plus a shield)

If that is the case, radio in the attached pics might work with my USB port under arm rest,because adapter between usb port and the radio might do the trick.. make sense?
Your picture of the back of the radio shows 3 large connectors....On our radios the white 14 pin connector is for the USB adapter.
Old 11-14-2017
Prelude Owner

Will he need the radio code and or VIN from the junk car to activate the new radio?
Old 11-14-2017

If it's a locking radio, then yes he will need the 5 digit code to unlock it.

If he has enough info he might be able to go through Hondas website to obtain the unlock code....but unless he has the last known registered owners information (that matches Hondas owner database) that may not be possible.

Maaaybe the Honda customer assistance hotline could be a possible way to get it.