Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

05 civic Keyless/FOB or actuator issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c4ldrew is an unknown quantity at this point
05 civic Keyless/FOB or actuator issue?

Hello fellow honda owners,

Sorry about the long winded write up, just trying to give as much detail as possible.

The summary of my problem is, my door locks don't properly unlock or lock with keyless entry.

So I have a 2005 civic ex 4 door, my problem started about a week ago, my GF started having problems getting into her car, when using the keyless, the locks barely go up then come down, re-lock and activate the alarm. The same problem occurs after you've turned off the vehicle, and the locks ATTEMPT to unlock so you can exit the vehicle.

At this point, the locks go only half way up, and you when grab the door handle to push the door open, the half way up lock, goes down, locks and activates the alarm, so if attempt to use the powered locks switch, from the inside, the locks sometimes do or don't go up to unlock, and if they go up and you open the door, the alarm proceeds to go off.

Here's where things get tricky, I thought maybe, just maybe, reprogramming the 2 (OEM) FOBs to the car would do the trick. Only 1 FOB reprogrammed correctly, the FOB on my set of keys never worked properly.

After the one OEM FOB programmed correctly, the symptoms to all my previously described problems went away, all the locks actuated open and closed no problem from the OEM FOB, the locks actuated fine after turning off the vehicle and exiting.

BUT the other day 10/4/17 the aftermarket FOBs I ordered off amazon arrived. I took the 2 new FOBs and the working OEM FOB and reprogrammed them to the vehicle. Once all 3 were programmed, all my lock problems stared again. Half way up locks, etc.

So last night, I take the One working OEM FOB, and program it to the car just by itself, and once again all my lock problems went away.

The video is of my GF, and she's turned off the vehicle and attempts to exit, the locks didn't automatically go up all the way, so she attempts to use the FOB to unlock and disarm the alarm before she exits.

Old 10-06-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 05 civic Keyless/FOB or actuator issue?

If you work the lock & unlock several times (setting in the car all doors closed) do they work better, go any higher ??

7th gens are known for weak actuator (just a small DC motor in them)

And if the drivers is weak it will act crazy if it does not see the locking or unlocking of that door.
Old 10-06-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
If you work the lock & unlock several times (setting in the car all doors closed) do they work better, go any higher ??

7th gens are known for weak actuator (just a small DC motor in them)

And if the drivers is weak it will act crazy if it does not see the locking or unlocking of that door.

if I can recall correctly, I believe they did work fine when the car was running with doors closed.
also a side note, i believe I did replace the driver side actuator off an 01 civic I had.
Old 10-06-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Does the drivers side lock **** lift easily by hand ??

My 05 had a weak one in passenger side (not the same effect as drivers side though)

If I worked it several times it would be fine.....until it sat a while.
Old 10-06-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Does the drivers side lock **** lift easily by hand ??

My 05 had a weak one in passenger side (not the same effect as drivers side though)

If I worked it several times it would be fine.....until it sat a while.

No it does not, when the locks are acting up, like in the video. You just can't simply lift the lock up, and it won't stay in the up position. You have to pull up and hold onto the lock, while at the same time with your free hand, pull the door handle to open the door. Same situation when on the outside, must put the key in first, disable the alarm, then turn and HOLD the key in the unlock position while your work the handle to open the door.

Last edited by c4ldrew; 10-06-2017 at 11:50 AM.