Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

upgrading 2002 original speakers

Old 03-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
willysp has a spectacular aura aboutwillysp has a spectacular aura about
upgrading 2002 original speakers

I would like to get a little better sound but I cannot spend much money. Based on what I have been reading, replacing the radio, adding amp, subwoofer, speakers is the way to go and usually the more you spend the better results you get. In my case, I am not asking for much change, just to be able to crank the original radio up every now and then and still have decent sound.
do you think these speakers would do a better job than the originals?

Amazon.com: Kenwood KFC-1665S 300-Watt 6.5-Inch 2-Way Sport Series Flush Mount Coaxial Speakers with Paper Tweeters, Set of 2: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Kenwood KFC-1665S 300-Watt 6.5-Inch 2-Way Sport Series Flush Mount Coaxial Speakers with Paper Tweeters, Set of 2: Car Electronics

I am planning on buying those for the front and maybe later buy similar for the back.
Again, I know the more I spend the better but at this time I would not spend more than 30 dollars in a pair of speakers. If I cannot get better sound with 30 bucks, I guess I will leave it with the original ones.

Thanks,
Old 03-22-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: upgrading 2002 original speakers

Expect to turn your volume louder to hear them unless you get an amp. Stock speakers are something like 8W, and those are 30W RMS speakers.

Also, if you only change out your front speakers, your rear ones will likely overpower the fronts, again, assuming you don't add an amp.
Old 03-22-2016
Registered!!

Thanks, Josh.
I apologize for my zero knowledge of sound systems. In crutch field they have the same speakers and they say that the power range is 2-30 watts RMS so I assumed that since the original stereo does not have enough power, they would be fine...
You also say that if I don't replace the rear ones I will have some issues. Are you suggesting replacing all 4? In that case do I need an amp? If so, what would be the cheapest used amp I would need? Maybe I could buy the front ones, then a cheap amp and the the rear ones. Again, I only want a little better sound quality without spending much. I know that that is hard to attain but it should not be impossible if what I need is basic.

Thanks,

Old 03-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Those speakers have a sensitivity rating of 92dB so should work OK with your stock head unit. The higher the sensitivity rating, the less power they require to reach a certain volume. Just don't expect a huge improvement from bottom level speakers and a stock head unit.
Old 03-22-2016
Registered!!

would an amp make a difference? I thing my budget is around 150 dollars... again, I don't want to replace the radio because I do not want to be dealing with removing the faceplate plus the ones that look cool to me are kinda expensive
Old 03-23-2016
Registered!!

Amazon.com: Clarion Mobile Electronics XC1410 D-Class 4-Channel Amplifier: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Clarion Mobile Electronics XC1410 D-Class 4-Channel Amplifier: Car Electronics
would something like this work? can I install this one in my car?

Old 03-23-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

I have had very good luck with my pioneer head unit and speaker kit. From time to time walmart sells a boxed set that has 4 speakers and a head unit for around $100. It is what I put in mine and sounds much much better than OEM ever did. I added an old 6.5 inch self powered bazooka sub and it now sounds as good as (or better than) many new hondas. I don't recall the speaker size needed, but they offer different sets with different sized speakers.
Old 03-24-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by willysp
Amazon.com: Clarion Mobile Electronics XC1410 D-Class 4-Channel Amplifier: Car Electronics
would something like this work? can I install this one in my car?

Yes, that amp would work and you can install it in your car.
You could probably find a nicer amp for less money on Craigslist, then buy better speakers.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ele/5503734067.html
But any boost in amplification will improve the sound. Just don't forget to factor in wiring and a line level converter (if needed) (that amp you selected wouldn't require one, the Pioneer would)

Last edited by TiggerDX; 03-24-2016 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-26-2016
Registered!!

Thanks, DX.
I might start with the speakers though. I will probably spend a little bit more that 20 dollars for a pair and see how it goes. I will update the post whenever I buy something.
I went to the junkyard two weeks ago andI did not remove two JBL that were in a 2001 LX in the junkyard... I will go to see if they are still there but I cannot imagine I will find them...