Electrical Post your Electrical issues here!

Tachometer NOT working ...

Old 04-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98cirillihatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Tachometer NOT working ...

Hello everyone, new to the forums here, so I just bought a 1998 civic hatchback with a 99 d16 put into it with 140000 km on it for $700..
but the tachometer is not working/ functioning in it, i have a spare cluster and have already tried using that one (from an auto civic) and everything works on it BUT the tachometer again.. im fairly sure the 99 civics engines had a different way to send the tachometer the readings ? if anyone has any advice on what wire to run, or what i can do to fix it, i bought this car for a little project for myself , but i cant seem to find anything online about how to fix this tachometer, i know its not the cluster, i tried a seperate one and still wouldnt work, its a 98 cx hatchback with a 99 d16y7 I believe, I will double check in the morning and update if its not. please help me with this, my other car is about to go on me and fixing this tachometer would help me get this car on the road ! edit: it really sucks not being able to know my rpm.. especially because this car i am going to try and teach my girlfriend how to drive stick in...
Old 04-05-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Tachometer NOT working ...

Seems like whatever is sensing the RPMs is messed up. In the meantime, you can get a program like Torque on your phone to read the RPMs through a Bluetoth OBDII scanner. It's pretty nifty and will only set you back 30-40 bucks.
Old 04-06-2015
Registered!!

Well, is there a name for the part thas senses the rpms and sends it ? Could I possibly pick one up at an auto wreckers?? and ive found in another thread that the 99-00 civic's had a different connection to the tachometer, not connected to the dizzy, connected to the dead end plug beside it (blue wire) .
Old 04-06-2015
Registered!!

also found a link where someone had a similar problem and found a fix, just wondering if this sounds like a good idea / fix or not , someone let me know please and review this... http://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-de...rking-2565698/ thank you very much !
Old 04-06-2015
Registered!!

also to clarify, the speedometer works, fuel gage works, and the temp gage works fine (seems to be). everything but the rpm gauge..
Old 04-08-2015
Registered!!

Can someone help me please ???
Old 04-08-2015
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

So you're 100% sure you hooked it up right? The wires aren't messed up? Fuses are ALL good? Is the car throwing a ?
Old 04-08-2015
Registered!!

I'm pretty sure whoever did the swap did it properly, everything seems connected fine , I haven't been able to look at it yet again today because it was raining and I didn't want to mess around with wires , or the distributor ( a friend told me to check the ICM and the ignition coil ). And when I tried a second cluster, I plugged in the SRS airbag plug ( the second cluster I tried popped the SRS light , and along came the CEL as well, I assumed its because the cluster was from a newer model civic which had full airbags. And mine only has one) I cleared the CEL and put the other cluster back in and it hasn't come back up, but I also haven't been driving it because it needs new bushings in the rear LCA's . any advice appreciated ! Please respond
Old 04-08-2015
Registered!!

And I am also positive the cluster was put in properly if that's what you meant. Yes the two clusters I tried both were put in properly.
Old 04-08-2015
Super Moderator

So... you just bought the car, probably don't drive it much (if at all) because of the nonexistent RPM readings, and cleared a last time you saw it. After a few cycles, it might come on again. I wouldn't be surprised if it was for your crankshaft position sensor, which is where your tachometer gets its information. You should get your vehicle scanned and look up the codes.
Old 04-08-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Yours originally obtained the tach signal directly from the distributor ICM on blue wire, terminal 9.

I don't know which D16 engine you have, or if your swap kept the original dist, wire harnesses and original ECM or not:
The other version shown in the wire diagram is using ECM terminal A19 for the tach signal.

HTH

i am going to try and teach my girlfriend how to drive stick in...
Best to LEARN how to drive a stick completely by sound.
No tach whatsoever, no idiot light saying to upshift either.
IMO.
Maybe not even the speedometer LOL
Old 04-09-2015
Registered!!

I'm fairly positive I've narrowed the problem to when he changed the engine, he must have had an obd2b distributor and I'm assuming he tried to change it to obd2a and forgot to attach the blue wire from the ICM . I am going to take another look tonight if its not raining. I am fairly positive the blue wire isn't connected to the ICM , or isn't there altogether, could someone send me a diagram. Or a picture of how to go about doing this , looking for the wire, and what wire to look for,and where to connect the wire in the ICM/dizzy. I know its a blue wire, but if I have to wire it myself. Should I buy a new wire to wire it with ? And if so what kind of wire ... Also. The car needs rear LCA bushings , should I replace the lcas all together , or just the bushings to save some cash ? Which would be a safer, and better option. I'm fairly positive it is on blox lcas.
Old 04-09-2015
Registered!!

And to answer your question , it is a 1999 d16y7 engine , I would assume he used the distributor from the 99 engine because of these problems.
Old 04-09-2015
Registered!!

Also, he's been talking to me about specs of the car, he said all the wiring in the car is still from the 98 , so the ecu and everything should be from the 98 , so I'd assume its the blue wire needing to be connected.
Old 04-09-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Does the dist have a 10 pin connector or 8 pin connector?

The 98 used an ICM mounted inside the dist. (10 pin) Tach signal originated at that ICM.

The other possible version (8 pin dist) puts the tach signal in the ECM/PCM.
There were more than one possible version used on 99-00.

Last edited by ezone; 04-09-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2015
Registered!!

Would you suggest buying a new distributor for 50$ at my local wreckers? Or should I just try and run a wire to it myself ? I am not surehow many pin it is, I know its connected to my dead end plug , so I'm assuming its 10 pin. But I will take pics after class when I am off.
Old 04-09-2015

Would you suggest buying a new distributor for 50$ at my local wreckers?
No.
Or should I just try and run a wire to it myself ?
No.

I suggest you figure out what you have and how it's supposed to work.

And to answer your question , it is a 1999 d16y7 engine , I would assume he used the distributor from the 99 engine because of these problems.
Count the pins mentioned above. I assume the harness will match, has not been hacked.

And which PCM is this using? Got the complete part number from the PCM?
Old 04-10-2015
Registered!!

How would I locate the PCM ? And okay , I will take apart the distributor and take a look tomorrow since its been pouring rain all week. Tomorrow should be sunny.
Old 04-10-2015

Google '98 civic ecm location'

Old 04-10-2015
Registered!!

I couldn't unplug it to see how many pins there were , but there is 9 wires going into the dead end plug beside the dizzy..
Old 04-10-2015

I couldn't unplug it to see how many pins there were ,
Just count the number of places where wires could go into the connector shell.

This is not tough. It's either 8 or 10.

BTW In order to separate the halves of the distributor connector, it must be removed from its metal bracket first. A 'double lock', if you will.

but there is 9 wires going into the dead end plug beside the dizzy..
What's a dead end plug, and why do we care --- if it is not the distributor connector in question?
Old 04-10-2015
Registered!!

What I meant by dead end plug , is the llug the dizzy is connected to . there is 9 wires coming from the dizzy to that plug. Unless I was completely blind when I counted, I counted 9 wires.
Old 04-10-2015

Take a picture and post it.
Old 04-11-2015
Registered!!

Name:  IMG_20150411_131351_zpsbvclw7ph.jpg
Views: 25021
Size:  368.4 KB Distributor wires ^
Name:  IMG_20150411_131257_zpsmserdtpt.jpg
Views: 21547
Size:  426.0 KB engine bay facing distributor.
Name:  IMG_20150411_131329_zpsmodqluvf.jpg
Views: 21909
Size:  336.4 KB wiring that i was told to check as well, and the other side of it . Name:  IMG_20150411_131317_zpsnkqggbqs.jpg
Views: 21439
Size:  307.7 KB
Old 04-11-2015

That's the 10 wire plug so it should be using tach signal from the ICM inside the dist. (I don't care if it's only got 9 wires, it's still a 10 wire plug).

You should be able to find the tach signal in that plug on the blue wire that is in the large hole (opposite the black/yellow wire).
I see a cut off wire dangling from the bottom half of the connector.... I bet it was a tach signal for a remote starter. Maybe someone damaged the original wire, or it has corroded?

First I'd use a meter to check continuity of that circuit from the distributor plug all the way to the gauges.

Then I might use a handheld tach or meter to determine if there really is a tach signal there.
Then check if there is a tach signal at the test connector.
Then check if there is a tach signal at the back of the gauges.

Name:  picture_2581.jpg
Views: 24949
Size:  128.9 KB
Old 04-18-2020
Registered!!

Mycarisbroken is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to bring up the old thread again, but I'm having the same problem, the tach and the tester wire arnt getting signal from the distributor, I have an 8 pin connector into the distributor, the car is a 1998 Honda civic with what seems to be a 1999 civic computer in it