Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

2005 Ignition tumbler disassembly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dbonjourjr476 is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Ignition tumbler disassembly?

Hello I've been working on taking out my tumbler from the lock cylinder to clean and see whats going on inside of there. But I'm having trouble removing it. Its hard to find and literature on the subject and I wanted to see what CF.com would have to say. There is a pin of some sort (only one I can see), after removing cover and screws and that is it. If you can shine some light this way that would be great. Thank you
Old 11-09-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2005 Ignition tumbler disassembly?

Yep, that tiny roll pin has to come out.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...56146854,d.aWc
(PDF)

See the bulletin for details and page 9 for the basic how-to. I know this isn't for a Civic, but the method is the same.
I've learned a few other tricks too, because the methods they give don't always work as intended.

If your key gets jammed, you probably need the cylinder retumbled and possibly a fresh key.
AFAIK, the dealer is the only place that will have Hondas Sidewinder tumblers (local lock shops don't have them here).....and it's anyones guess if they would sell you pieces as needed.

Or you can just remove offending tumblers until the key works again.