Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Where do you buy your audio components?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TannerNCruz is an unknown quantity at this point
Where do you buy your audio components?

I was looking to maybe get started on bumping the audio in my 99 Civic. One of the speakers is blown and I've had this after-market deck sitting in my closet for awhile but I don't really want to get down to bussiness and start taking things apart until I can put in some stuff to make it sound nice. I looked at Best Buy, New Egg and a few other places for door speakers and amps and the selection wasn't huge. So I was just wondering, where do you prefer to buy your audio components from? Price/quality/satisfaction wise. Online vs. In Store? Preferred brands? No-no brands? Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 04-17-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Where do you buy your audio components?

I always use Crutchfield. They have good prices great customer service and they know what you need to make it fit in your car. They also carry good brands like Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, Kicker, Infinity, Polk... I don't think they carry a brand that is bad. They have lower end options and higher end stuff depending on what it is you want out of your audio equipment and your budget.
Old 04-17-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Sonicelectronix is a good selection, and cheaper prices than crutchfield.

But crutchfield you're paying for their good customer service.

I typically just buy used off craigslist.
Old 04-17-2013
Registered!!

I didn't think about checking craigslist. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into both. Do you guys know perhaps what gauge crimp caps I'd need for a 1999 civic deck install?
Old 04-17-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Crutchfield. Can't beat their service.
2nd choice is Amazon.
Old 04-18-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Not sure what size the wires are but I would solder the connections. Crimp caps are better then wire nuts and a good crimp is just as solid as a solder but I always solder my wires for audio and remote start. Power wire is most likely 10-12 gauge and the others 14-18.

I had an Accord that the owner before me put a head unit in using wire nuts (like the ones for household 120v). I didn't know until the radio started cutting out on me. I pulled it out and there a mess of wire nuts and wire everywhere! I had to redo everything!

If you do use the crimp caps after you make a crimp pull on the wires some to make sure the connection is strong.
Old 04-18-2013
Registered!!

Yeah soldering would be good if I had the equipemnt and the know how but I'd rather just triple check my crimps before making someone else solder the wires. Thanks for the info though.
Old 05-17-2013
Meh...

Hensinger2010 will become famous soon enough

locally i buy from abc warehouse, because discounts are awesome but if i cant find it there online i go with amazon or sonic electronics, if you know what your looking for youll never buy from a bad place..
Old 05-17-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy a soldering iron for like 15 bucks and it will come with everything you need to solder wires together. Much better method of doing it IMO. It's very, very easy. Then just shrink wrap it after your done and it's the best connection you can ever make. Never come free.
Old 05-17-2013
Meh...

Hensinger2010 will become famous soon enough

Very worth it if getting into wiring V V V V
Old 05-18-2013
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

You can get a soldering iron for 5 bucks at walmart no joke....i get my electronics from sonicelectronix.com they've got the best prices and ship quickly.
Old 05-18-2013
Registered!!

Haha, 5 bucks? Well then I'll just have to go buy one and practice with it.
Old 05-20-2013
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah look in the wiring section...its in a yellow case lol its always worked good for me and ive used it alot