Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

1997 Civic Cx Amp Setup, I Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blindwest40 is an unknown quantity at this point
1997 Civic Cx Amp Setup, I Need Help

hey guys i just setup my sub and amp today i have everything set, i need to know a few things, i cant find a spot to ground because the ring terminal on my ground cable can only fit 8mm or 10mm screws, so idk what to do there, and i have no idea if my amps turning on, i got a Pioneer GM-5500T and theres no lights, so i got no clue if my remote wire is hooked up to a proper spot, i know about this blue cable with a white line i connected it to that and i got nothing, could that have to do with the ground or is it the wrong cable, help would be appreciated

Last edited by blindwest40; 02-22-2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: name change
Old 02-23-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 1997 Civic Cx Amp Setup, I Need Help

Remove the back seat and put your ground there. I believe I used a seat belt bolt. You may have to re crimp a larger ring terminal on the end to get it to fit. Once you have a proper ground then you can start troubleshooting why it may not be coming on. Do you have a volt meter? The remote wire should be hooked up to a 12v source when the key is turned to acc.
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

that sound possible to do i found that spot on the seatbelt bolt and i was about to put it on but it was to big for the terminal, ill try to get a larger one do you know where i can get one, im on ontario canada
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

also when you say acc what colour is that wire, cuz the cable im connected to says remote antena so idk if thats the right one, i believe i saw a acc and it was red, would i be correct?
Old 02-23-2013
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Any auto parts or hardware store will have larger ring terminals. Make sure you sand down the metal under the seatbelt bolt so that you get a nice ground. You can cut a small slit in the ring terminal and then take pliers and widen it if you need too (redneck way) but it is ideal to get a new terminal.

Is the remote/antenna wire part of your radio harness? Some radios have a blue remote wire that is used to power up an amp. That wire that you are using might be meant for an external remote hookup or to power an antenna. **If you use this wire it is possible to power your amp but when you switch to a cd it may cut the 12V signal to this wire which would shut your amp down. If it can be used for an amp then it shouldn't shut off.

What I meant by acc was the position of your key. You want to find a wire that gives you 12V when you turn your key to position 1 (acc). If there is a acc wire on your radio harness it may be possible to tap into that.

Last edited by GolNat; 02-23-2013 at 07:03 AM. Reason: **Remembered something
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

there is a acc spot that hast been tapped into i could use that mabey, i dont have one of those meters but for grounding could i just make my own spot like use a self tap in screw and just do it from there
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

also i remeber the first time that i started the car it shot the cd out of the tray, idk if that has anything to do with it
Old 02-23-2013
Prelude Owner

Yes you can make your own grounding spot with a self tapping sheet metal screw. It might be difficult to get through with a large enough screw to fit your terminal.

It really helps to have a meter or a test light so you can see what the voltage is doing. It could be possible to tap into that acc wire but you want to make sure it only comes on when the key is turned on (so your amp doesn't stay on all the time). Since it is labeled acc it generally means that it will come on when the key is turned.

What kind of head unit do you have (brand and model)? Do you remember what color the remote/antenna wire was that you are using?

Not sure why it spit the CD out. Might tell you in owners manual.
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

i just grounded it to a good spot in the trunk, now coming from the head unit theres a blue and white cabel that is labeled power antenna, besides that theres nothing coming from the head unit thats blue
Old 02-23-2013
Prelude Owner

Ok, since you don't have a meter you can try that wire and see if it turns the amp on. Most likely it will turn the amp on when you have the radio selected but when you put in a cd it will turn the amp off. You can either try that wire, see if the amp works with the radio then put a cd in and see if the amp shuts off (if it doesn't turn off with a cd in then your done). Or tap into the acc wire that goes to the radio harness. This wire should be controlled with the key. So it will only show 12V when the key is in the ignition and turned to position 1 or when the car is running.

What color does the wire labeled acc go to on the factory harness?
Old 02-23-2013
Registered!!

yo man i did what u said with the grounding, i tested that "remote antena" wire coming from my head unit and it worked now thanks alot, the bass is droppin in my neighborhood
Old 02-23-2013
Prelude Owner

Cool! Glad to hear its working. Everyone should have great bass.

Does it work with a CD?