Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

I'm a believer in suppression diodes now.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm a believer in suppression diodes now.....

I have seen schematics for headlight relay harnesses showing a diode across the coil terminals of the relay. i never saw the need to put them in. now i know that there's significant data out there that shows that when a relay de-energizes, the energy stored in the coil has to go somewhere and it can spike the voltage of the system.

so i have 2 relays for my HID retro, one for each ballast. about a year ago, i started noticing a click when i turned the lights off that was coming from my stereo. as the relays got some age on them, the click turned into a thump from my speakers and my sub.

so i put an oscilloscope on the 12v (all relays and ballast power coming straight off the battery) and it measured a 38vdc spike when the relays turned off and the ballasts shut down. i thought it might be the ballasts, but those disconnected and i was still getting the spikes.

so i bought some $4.50 relays from Mouser/Newark that had the suppression diode built in. no more thump and no more voltage spikes.

so what's the point of all this? well, after a year of voltage spikes everyday, my Kenwood sub amp stopped working. it was going into protection mode. after i got the diode relays, i bought a new amp and life was good. today i got around to opening up the amplifier and the pic below is what i found (2 fried transistors). moral of the story......spend $3 more than the $1.50 relays and get some with diodes so you don't fry your electronics.

Name:  TransistorsBlown.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  103.2 KB
Old 10-07-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light
Re: I'm a believer in suppression diodes now.....

from all the wiring and electronitc guys out there.......

DUH!!!

if it's a mecanical switch then u can decide to omit it but NEVER omit it on electronics.
Old 10-07-2009
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

i took it forgranted because the 24v relays i use on automated machines all have them built in standard. most automotive relays don't have them though. you have to make an extra effort to locate ones that do. you walk into any auto parts store and the cube relays they sell for fog light kits don't have diodes.
Old 10-07-2009
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Is the amp fixable?
Old 10-07-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah its one of those things most people are too lazy to implement. there are alot of other relays on the car stock, i wonder if those have suppression including the stock headlight relay. ive heard of headlight switches frying because of current back flow. i ran various hid setups for a year and never had a problem, but im sure its doing some damage somewhere.
Old 10-07-2009
Administrator
Administrator

might have been the combo of relays and ballast i had?
Old 10-07-2009
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
Is the amp fixable?
probably. visibly, there's just the 2 transistors. there could be other components bad too. the amp is over 7 years old, so is it worth the time and money to repair a 300w 7yr old amp? not to me. i threw it in the trash and bought a JL Audio G1300 amp.
Old 10-07-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hb pickup is an unknown quantity at this point

Good show&tell! That splains the installation I saw where one sie of the diode had broken off the relay terminal & everything still worked fine. I asked the guy who installed it what the diode was for. Whatever he said didn't tell me a thing (no speeka de lingo) but i soldered it back on figuring there hadda be a reason for it. Thanx!
Old 11-18-2009
Administrator
Administrator

here's the link for the relays i bought:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...9-CB1F-D-M-12V
Old 03-05-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the link, but they say its out of stock with 2 month lead time. any other place to get these?
Old 03-05-2010
Premium Member

would this work? seems like the same thing but without mounting hole

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=255-2159-ND
Old 03-05-2010
Administrator
Administrator

yep. that will work too. just needs a diode built in between 85 and 86
Old 02-29-2012
Administrator
Administrator

link is back in stock
Old 03-01-2012
Premium Member

i ended up getting one a while back but threw it away due to something with it causing my hid lows to flicker when switching to hi beam mode. not sure how or why, but my tyco relay never did this so i went back to it. i guess i will change the headlight switch if it fries from voltage spikes.i have no stereo so i doubt anything else would be damaged.