Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

1998 Civic EX radio not working! Security alarm/keyless entry related??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hoondamaan is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 1998 Civic EX radio not working! Security alarm/keyless entry related??

Man, I have spent a lot of time on this one issue. I have read forums and manuals, talked to repair shop workers and the Honda dealer. It would be absolutely terrific if someone here could help. The reason I decided to post a detailed story is that I want to let any posters/helpers know of the many things I have already tried.

I had a new CD player installed 3 years ago and a new battery 1 year ago. I had no problems with my Honda brand security system/keyless entry after those new installs. One day about 6 mos. ago, I entered my car and could not get the horn to stop honking until I pulled the under-hood fuse.

I was told I had to take the car to the Honda dealer and would probably spend $300+ plus to get this fixed and the remote transmitters reprogrammed. So, I held off for a while. Now I would like to get the alarm and keyless entry features going again and decided to begin researching this problem.

Last month a local shop owner said he could fix it for $75. Cool. But I sat waiting for 2 1/2 hrs., and the only answer I received was that the transmitters checked out OK but the security control unit is probably bad, but my guys couldn’t find it, so you'll have to find that first.

Again, 3 years ago when Circuit City installed my new CD player, the techs followed the proper instructions that I have been reading on the Web: tuck the original radio under the dash and install a new connector (that plugs into the new deck and the old) so you can retain access to the dome light and keyless entry function. Cool. They did that. Everything worked fine for 3 years. But then that alarm thing happened 6 mos. ago where the horn would not stop honking.

So, here I am. Last week I replaced the security control unit and this did stop the horn from honking continuously when I reinserted the fuse. Success! But wait, then the next problem, and this I have been hearing about for a while: the valet button on the original Honda radio deck has to be pushed and the transmitters reprogrammed by holding down the buttons in a particular sequence.

Great. So, I found the old face of my original Honda deck (remember: all the radio but the face was still tucked under the dash), and I was excited that this dilemma was coming to an end. I plugged it in and no power. The old radio deck will not turn on. I tried a few things:

1) I reinserted the newer CD deck, and yes that still turned on, so I know I have power; 2) I removed the 3 amp fuses from slots 3 and 6 and reinstalled the original 10 amp fuse in slot 3, as reading the instructions in reverse would indicate; 3) I removed the 5-pin and 4-pin relays that the installation instructions for the Honda security alarm system say to install; and 4) I checked other fuses and connections.

Any ideas of what I can do next? I am thinking the original Honda radio deck is bad, and I'm considering buying (or borrowing from someone) an old one just to install for a few moments to hit the valet switch and run the programming sequence for my two remote transmitters. But, I don't know if this step will even fix it. Why would a radio face that was sitting for 3 years just "go bad"?

There must be some other connection or something else I can try. I am not electronic savvy but I can follow directions. I just don't know where to go from here. My dash is apart and I'm tired of taking it apart each time I try something new. I just want to be done with this before I need therapy. ;-)

PLEASE HELP!!

Thank you in advance!!!
Old 04-02-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrplow123456 will become famous soon enoughmrplow123456 will become famous soon enough
Re: 1998 Civic EX radio not working! Security alarm/keyless entry related??

Sorry to hear of your problems but I have since removed the factory radio and replace the factory alarm with a nice aftermarket one. You may have some luck in buying a new one or borrowing one that the person still has the code to. As for how it could have gone bad? I don't know but I saw that you said there were relays in the install. I would have these checked/replaced and have the power pulled from the car and reapplied to see if you get anywhere. Again, I have no experience with the factory alarm other then all the harnesses floating around behind my radio.
Old 04-02-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1998 Civic EX radio not working! Security alarm/keyless entry related??

make sure to check and recheck the fuses and relays. i dont know exactly what they did so i cant offer specifics. but you should at least be able to test your stock deck outside the car by connecting the basic power wires (constant and ignition switch) and the ground. if it comes on, you know its something with the wiring.