Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

My Newest Car Audio Setup---what should i do next?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007
You Stay Classy, San Diego

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice
My Newest Car Audio Setup---what should i do next?

Well Since i dont care alot about weight and i love havin the bump in the trunk ive got quite a bit of car audio. Heres wut i have so far:

2x JL 12w0-4 subs. (older but still amazing not much diff than w1s or w3s)
1x custom made mdf box
1x Insignia (best buy special) 360w rms amp. (The thing will not die no matter how hard i try so im gonna keep usin it cuz honestly it sounds just as good as my buddy who spent $300 on an alpine amp)

Clarion Competition Deck (only prob is it doesnt have sub out so im runnin my amp off the rear pre-outs)

Pioneer 6.5" speakers in front

Pioneer upgraded 6x9s but still fairly old from like 02ish cuz they were in my car wen i got it but not factory pioneer speakers

Review of my system: Usually have my ipod hooked up and it sounds decent. I dont always get the bass im lookin for but usually im lookin for my head to be rattled in all songs not just the songs with insane bass. I get a good mix of bass, and treb and it seems fairly well balanced.
__________________________________________________ ________________
Future ICE MODS

I want to fg the jls in my trunk im thinkin either in the back of my trunk infront of where the tail lights go in that little corner thing, or near the back in a volcano style.

I wanna get a new amp and build a nice amp rack for it. Im thinkin prolly a jl 300/1 or 250/1 amp cuz my subs are only 125rms even tho ive ran them at like 300 and never had a prob i only run them at around 100 rms now and they bump enough to get everythin shakin.

New speakers im thinkin either jl or kicker components and jl or kicker 6x9s

Capacitor cuz my system is killin my electrical system

optima yellowtop the new d51 size

a monitor and a ps2 hardwired in

Lemme know wut u guys think and gimmie some suggestions.
Old 11-21-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Newest Car Audio Setup---what should i do next?

Originally Posted by jamis33
Capacitor cuz my system is killin my electrical system
you need a bigger alternator, not a capacitor. capacitors are just a bandaid for the real problem and that's not enough juice from your alternator. and for the price of a large, quality cap, you can get a HO alternator for about the same price, maybe a little more. don't get a cap, get a HO alt.
Old 11-21-2007
You Stay Classy, San Diego

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice

for real cuz i took my car to an electrical shop and they told me that my alternator is fine with my system or close to fine cuz it puts out around 14.4v -14.6v wen i have nothing running then wen i turn my subs up to normal it rarely ever gets below 14 and the lowest i got it was to 13.8 and that was listening to the song "white girl" which was loud enough to put a ripple in my roof lol. I do think i wanna get an optima yellow or a better battery. I was also thinkin gettin a power cell instead of a cap cuz a powercell isnt that much more. But if i did i would prolly need a HO alternator. And if i do buy a cap i'll get a cheap one off ebay used. I dont think caps can go bad.
Old 11-21-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamis33
And if i do buy a cap i'll get a cheap one off ebay used. I dont think caps can go bad.
yes they can. the electrolyte that's inside them can break down over time and cause the cap to short out. just like small caps can blow on circuit boards. cheap capacitors don't last as long as good caps. what's long and what's short time? depends on the user, the application, the brand, etc. too many variables to answer.