Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Can you paint your amps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007
Since 2002 Baby!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chicohonda02 has a spectacular aura aboutchicohonda02 has a spectacular aura about
Question Can you paint your amps?

I've got this amp which completes a set. but the amp has a bunch of wear and tare on it. I wanted to paint it over so it looks clean. Is this possible, without covering going over the brand model and all that info on top?

My plan was to relocate them to the trunk where they would be visible. So I want them to look nice.

thanks
Old 02-27-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
Heck yes you can! I wanted to do this too. It looks best when you color match it to another scheme you have on your car, either color matching it to the color of the car, or the dashboard. Whatever. The believe you have to take two things into consideration: Proper preparation as to promote good adhesion. (Generally accomplished by sanding and preping the surface, and then using a primer, then painting and using a clearcoat.) And, I would also reccommend not painting the heat sinks. If you have any on the amp. I believe it would impact the temperature reducing effect it has on the amp, although I don't know this to be fact or not. I say go for it!
Old 02-27-2007
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
^^ most amps use the heatsink as the shell, so painting it means you're gonna paint the heatsink. Bottom line is that the heatsink is designed to dissapate heat but many amps have been painted before and work fine. Just don't paint the inside.
Old 02-28-2007
Since 2002 Baby!

chicohonda02 has a spectacular aura aboutchicohonda02 has a spectacular aura about
i want to paint the outside, why would i toucht he inside?
Old 02-28-2007
Registered!!

rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough
do it and show us some pics
Old 02-28-2007
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by chicohonda02
i want to paint the outside, why would i toucht he inside?
clearly you have no intent to take it apart to paint it so nevermind.