Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

Winter proof your car, Tires All terrain, snow chains , lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torontopaul is an unknown quantity at this point
Winter proof your car, Tires All terrain, snow chains , lift

Hello all,
Not sure where to post this question.

I want to get a Civic but Canada has bad snowy roads, slippery and sliding all over even in winter tires.

Is there a way to make your car winter proof with all terrain tires, truck tires with a lift or spacers, or snow chains on tires?

I drive my gfs car with new expensive winter tires and they are okay but when the snow is real bad it doesnt matter if you have great winter tires.

Are there some off road mods that can be made?
Old 01-29-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Winter proof your car, Tires All terrain, snow chains , lift

If its bad enough 4 wheel drive is your only guarantee. I don't deal with snow enough to offer any advice. I can get by with a good set of all season/snow tires.

You could get a set of coil overs for the car though and possibly raise it up a bit. Chains are helpful if they are legal ( I don't think they are around me).
Old 01-29-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

i don't think chains were legal in Canada (they were not in Quebec 7 years ago, being the reason studless got made).

I did not have issues with my 1 in lowered civic, even when no plower had passed yet.

sliding in snow is normal. Just account for that when maneuvering around.

Heck, I am Brazilian and could handle the Canadian snow (with proper snow tires, mind you)

Toronto was not as bad as Quebec before the snow plower passed.
Old 01-30-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Good snows, couple bags of sand in the back if you're paranoid.
Chains are definitely not legal in Toronto, not even where I am, need to go further north then they're legal.
I find my car does just fine in the snow, if you find you can't keep your car on the road you need to slow down