Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

New Pirelli P4 tires make my civic rough

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greengrover is an unknown quantity at this point
New Pirelli P4 tires make my civic rough

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Pirelli P4 tires. I just put a new set on after owning Toyo touring tires for years. The Pirellis give me a much rougher ride. It seems that every crack or bump on the road is amplified by these tires instead of them absorbing some of the bumps.

Any thoughts? Or experience with this issue?

Cheers!
Old 08-02-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Pirelli P4 tires make my civic rough

Ride and feel can vary greatly between different tires.
Suggest reading customer reviews on both your old and new tires.

Tire pressure too high?
Old 08-02-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greengrover is an unknown quantity at this point

Tire pressure meet specifications.

I've read a ton of reviews for both tires, but haven't found any review that mentions this. After all this reading, I sort of wonder if the Pirellis might just be a stiffer tire, which makes for a little rougher ride on small streets at 30-60km/h.

Any ideas on this?

Originally Posted by ezone
Ride and feel can vary greatly between different tires.
Suggest reading customer reviews on both your old and new tires.

Tire pressure too high?
Old 08-02-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I sort of wonder if the Pirellis might just be a stiffer tire, which makes for a little rougher ride on small streets at 30-60km/h.
Based on your own observations, I'd say 'probably'.

I remember a customer choosing some Goodyear (maybe Eagle something?) tires for her Prelude, then complaining loudly that her car "squirmed" while driving, blaming us for jacking with her alignment and suspension. "No, lady, it's the tires you picked out."
Old 08-03-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

yep.

just changed tires on my miata yesterday - now they are quite soft ride, but on the other hand, when i Turn the steering, it will think, think and then finally start turning.
I have a set for doing fun, these are only DD tires, so meh!
Old 08-03-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Tire rack says they would enhance the ride comfort.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....4+Four+Seasons

Tires are one of those things that are very subjective to opinions and the type of cars/drivers that use them. Only way to really tell is to try them out.
Old 08-03-2014

Originally Posted by GolNat
Tire rack says they would enhance the ride comfort.
Compared to what?
"Enhance" and "comfort" might mean different things to different people.
Completely different cars will always feel completely different, even if they have the same tires installed.

Can I put Cadillac tires on my Civic and expect a Cadillac ride?
If Cadillac made tires....

Tires are one of those things that are very subjective to opinions and the type of cars/drivers that use them. Only way to really tell is to try them out.
^Troof.
Old 08-03-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone
Compared to what?
Compared to comparable tires in the same class, I suppose?!?

Pirelli probably sacrificed a little ride comfort for some handling.

Could you safely say that the tires Cadillac would use on a Deville would aid in creating a more comfortable ride then tires chosen for a CTS, which would lean more towards handling and control? Will those Deville tires be more comfortable on your civic? Maybe?

Last edited by GolNat; 08-03-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-03-2014

Originally Posted by GolNat

Could you safely say that the tires Cadillac would use on a Deville would aid in creating a more comfortable ride then tires chosen for a CTS, which would lean more towards handling and control? Will those Deville tires be more comfortable on your civic? Maybe?

Um, I shall defer to management thinking, Dilbert comics style: "All cars have 4 wheels, therefore they are all the same!"

Actually, "Cadillac Smooth" was a saying.....related to noticing when stuff just isn't right on a test drive. Used to give a lofty example to the rookies that didn't know better because they have never ever been inside a somewhat new car that wasn't a deathtrap, where everything is tight and safe and quiet and smoooooth.