Notices
Wheels and Tires Post your wheel and tire related questions here.

I painted my wheels today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Killzone2142 is a glorious beacon of lightKillzone2142 is a glorious beacon of lightKillzone2142 is a glorious beacon of lightKillzone2142 is a glorious beacon of lightKillzone2142 is a glorious beacon of lightKillzone2142 is a glorious beacon of lightKillzone2142 is a glorious beacon of light
I painted my wheels today...

before...
Name:  IMG_0669.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  76.7 KB

after...
Name:  IMG_0663.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  78.8 KB

and since there is no diy that i found im gonna make one below.....

Supplies
2-3 can of wheel paint or whatever paint you want.
1 can of primer or adhesion promoter
painters tape
paper
playing cards

1. you want to clean your wheels
prep work is important. i washed my car like two days before so when i had to clean the rims it didnt take long. just a quick wipe down BUT you really need to clean the rims alot.
Name:  IMG_0660-1.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  88.7 KB

2. next take the paper and mask off the tires. use the cards to make ring around the rims check the picture to see what im talking about. this can be done second or third but i think its best to do it second even though i did it 3rd.

3. spray your primer or adhesion promoter. i used the adhesion promoter because i didnt want to sand or use steel wool. but you can or should if you use primer. also if you have any scuffs take the time to clean that up and smooth it out. also let it dry after you spray primer or the promoter.

4. spray a base coat let the paint dry and you dont have to lay the paint on too thick.
this pic is for steps 2-4
Name:  IMG_0661-1.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  70.1 KB

5. after the paint dries, spray the rims again appling another coat of paint. let paint dry. repeat this step alteast 3 times. i did about 4-5 coats

6. Enjoy your wheels
Name:  IMG_0662-1.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  118.9 KB

For a more extensive write up check out vwvortex. Go vdubs.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3156862

oh remeber to cover your tire cap and take out your center caps if you dont want them painted.
Old 04-20-2009
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
Re: I painted my wheels today...

Cool.
I liked them better before they were painted though.
Old 04-20-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

nice man looks good. im sure ill end up respraying mine sometime in the future.
Old 04-20-2009
Registered!!

low_low01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I like them your rims!!! i think i will paint mines too
Old 04-20-2009
Registered!!

Killzone2142 is a glorious beacon of lightKillzone2142 is a glorious beacon of lightKillzone2142 is a glorious beacon of lightKillzone2142 is a glorious beacon of lightKillzone2142 is a glorious beacon of lightKillzone2142 is a glorious beacon of lightKillzone2142 is a glorious beacon of light

thanks guys i liked the orginal look of the rims but it wasnt really flowing with my style for the car so i had to paint them. now the car flows better
Old 04-20-2009
Registered!!

omegared99 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think they would of looked a little better in black but sweet nonethless may have to try this if buy rims LOL
Old 04-20-2009

denice25 will become famous soon enough

good job.. looks cool!
Old 04-24-2009
Registered!!

thanks guys it feels good to get some love and not get hated on like they do on 7thgenhonda. theres a reason to why i painted them not left the polished.
Old 04-24-2009
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

looks cool.
Old 04-24-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Killzone2142
thanks guys it feels good to get some love and not get hated on like they do on 7thgenhonda. theres a reason to why i painted them not left the polished.
Oh man, you should have left them polished dude JK. I think they look good. I always like fat fives no matter what color they are (except chrome). Any plans to paint the center caps the same color?
Old 04-24-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

did you clear coat these or is the wheel paint beefy enough on its own. i know some people spray them with a coat or two of 500F hi temp clear coat, but dont know if its necessary. also what paint did you use, the graphite? any better pics installed on the car? looks much better on a dark car than the shiny alloy.
Old 04-24-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
Oh man, you should have left them polished dude JK. I think they look good. I always like fat fives no matter what color they are (except chrome). Any plans to paint the center caps the same color?
haha nah im not going to paint the centercaps the same color because im not sure what my next set of rims are going to look like and i want to keep the honda centercaps. yes im already looking for a new set of rims. these are just my test rims. if i can find blank centercaps and a ricer red h sticker then ill paint those to match the rim lol

Originally Posted by gearbox
did you clear coat these or is the wheel paint beefy enough on its own. i know some people spray them with a coat or two of 500F hi temp clear coat, but dont know if its necessary. also what paint did you use, the graphite? any better pics installed on the car? looks much better on a dark car than the shiny alloy.
i didnt clear coat them because i wasnt sure if the paint would be matte or glossy cuz the thread on vortex had a glossy finish and i want matte/flat look but i think im going to clear coat it just to protect the paint. i mean its been a week and the paint held up fine but then i did put about 4-5 coats on so we will see how it works out. and there will be more pics this weekend and wedsnite since im going on a canyon run with the socal guys

mike you should come since we are going to malibu there are plenty of non asians there (socal section joke fot those who dont know)
Old 04-30-2009
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough

i think it would have looked better if you left the face polished and the inner parts repainted a darker shade of grey
Old 05-17-2009
Registered!!

01cvc will become famous soon enough

it looks nice! how does the civic look with just the front lip? (iwant a mugen, but was looking at getting side skirts and the rear lip)
Old 05-18-2009
Registered!!

i likke my spoon lip and not a fan od the mugen lip for the 01-03 civics but check the first pic or look for the malibu canyon run thread in the socal section and theres some more pics
Old 07-22-2009
Registered!!

DanielsSTEK is an unknown quantity at this point

your painted wheels still holding up? I'm thinking about getting some cheap gsr fat fives and painting them bronze, so wondering how sturdy it was
Old 08-07-2009
Registered!!

94honciv is an unknown quantity at this point

I've painted a few sets of wheels for my sons 97 Civic coupe.Used the same brand of paint,Dupli color holds up pretty good.Wheels look good btw,only thing I see is you should have used etching primer,it seals Aluminum a lot better.Just my 2cents.Nice job.Mike
Old 09-04-2010
Registered!!

NuBreed10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Killzone2142
i likke my spoon lip and not a fan od the mugen lip for the 01-03 civics but check the first pic or look for the malibu canyon run thread in the socal section and theres some more pics
How are they holding up now, any major paint chips or fading that you've noticed.
Old 09-04-2010
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

Good job. Although like black or a darker gray would have looked better IMO. Still good job.

Yeah, make sure you clear coat them bro.

EDIT - Damn you NuBreed10! You made me post to an old thread...LOL!