Steering connection to the road

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bdadokay is an unknown quantity at this point
Steering connection to the road

I got to say, I'm really surprised how much the steering is connected to the road in my '03. Do the 6th and 8th generation have the same connection? I just drove the '13 Si and it felt very disconnected. The '15 mazda 3 as also disconnected. Is this the way of the future, because it would be very sad!
Old 01-22-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Steering connection to the road

Once your over 40, spend 2-3 laps in a go kart and you would welcome that disconnected feeling..

Seriously though, cars are more and more becoming driven by the computers and too the computer your just a back seat driver..
Old 01-22-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bdadokay is an unknown quantity at this point

seems like a big hoax. Disconnect the feeling, throw in a bunch of features and call it day. I'll be dead before self-driving takes over, but until then, I wanna live a little.
Old 01-22-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bdadokay
I got to say, I'm really surprised how much the steering is connected to the road in my '03.
I'd hate to drive any car that doesn't have connected steering.

Seems like whenever that happens someone ends up upside down and dead, or in a ditch.
Old 01-23-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I bought a 95 miata with manual steering, no AC, no ABS, no power windows, exactly for that reason.
Old 01-23-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Want connection? Depower steering rack:
1) drain and disconnect power steering pump and hoses
2) remove rack and pinion
3) disassemble rack and pinion and cut off metal/silicone (piston) seal on rack bar: doing so doesn't allow air pressure to build inside rack.
4) grease all moving parts including pinion gears.
5) replace needle-cup bearing if necessary
6) re-install rack and pinion

Here's one-way (not how I did mine): http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...teezz-way.html

I did this for my '95 EX coupe. Not sure if it's the same for 7th gen.
You will feel everything but parallel parking and 3-point turns suck.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 01-23-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-23-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Want connection? Depower steering rack:
1) drain and disconnect power steering pump and hoses
2) remove rack and pinion
3) disassemble rack and pinion and cut off metal/silicone seal on rack bar: doing so doesn't allow air pressure to build inside rack.
4) grease all moving parts including pinion gears.
5) replace needle-cup bearing if necessary
6) re-install rack and pinion

Here's one-way: http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...teezz-way.html

I did this for my '95 EX coupe. Not sure if it's the same for 7th gen.
You will feel everything but parallel parking and 3-point turns suck.
he's complaining about newer cars using drive by wire instead of physically connecting the steering wheel to the rack
Old 01-23-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colin42
he's complaining about newer cars using drive by wire instead of physically connecting the steering wheel to the rack
Um, it's still physically connected directly to the steering rack.

S2K used Electric Power Steering, and those were pretty dang sporty cars
Old 01-23-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ezone
Um, it's still physically connected directly to the steering rack.

S2K used Electric Power Steering, and those were pretty dang sporty cars
Bad choice of words on my part, I meant the OP is complaining about the feeling of the newer cars compared to the older cars. Wonder if they've ever driving an old car with the one finger power steering, no road feel at all
Old 01-23-2018

in my '03. Do the 6th and 8th generation have
The plain Civics all had standard hydraulic power steering up until model year 2011.

Starting with 2012 all Civics have EPS

The USA Civic SI series (Canadian SI-R??) have had EPS since 2002.
Old 01-23-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

yeah, the newer ones will require someone to hack into the system to change the settings/parameters to make it heavier or not.

Ah, depowering hydraulic systems might need to have caster revised (more perpendicular) to make steering easier. That will still not help on the rack ratio (manual steering racks have more wheel turns lock to lock to make easier to steer) so don't go too crazy on depowering. The 6th gen and earlier are light enough that you don't feel as much, though. from 7th gen and forward, the cars are going heavier and heavier by the year