Hard start, 2003 Civic LX

Old 01-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vr2587 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hard start, 2003 Civic LX

Hey everyone, new user here. I've had my Civic since 2006-2007 at 53k miles. Right now it's at 214 and change. It's had various issues but has overall been a very good car. I've recently changed my spark plugs, replaced the alternator, the radiator, the fuel pump and my passenger side engine mount. Aside from those things and routine oil changes, I haven't done anything else. It currently has an oil leak in the valve cover gasket, crank shaft and oil pan and I got a light whiff of something electrical the other day when it was in park (it went away after a few minutes and neither of my mechanics have been able to reproduce it). Today I got a rough start from it (like a hiccup) and my maintenance light flashed. Any sort of idea what this could be? I'm hoping it's not my timing belt.
Old 01-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Hard start, 2003 Civic LX

214k on the original timing belt....

possible it skipped a tooth, but as you said, something burtn up. I would check every fuse to figure out which one popped, don’t replace it till you narrow down the shorted item.

Maintaince light starting to flash is just normal, need to reset it before it starts staying on.
Old 01-13-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic

Maintaince light starting to flash is just normal, need to reset it before it starts staying on.
Either it is due for an oil change now, or the last oil change person forgot to reset the light.
Old 02-13-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Either it is due for an oil change now, or the last oil change person forgot to reset the light.
I decided to do the timing belt since it hadn't been done yet. 3 hours after I dropped it off they texted me saying my cover was completely disintegrated. So that's fixed.

However, now I'm having issues in park. I was parked for a few minutes yesterday when it started acting like it was in overdrive (would run fine, then kick into high gear for a minute, then it would calm down again) and it would lose some power for a second or two. I've also had problems with turning it over and hearing a whoosh sound like air is being pushed out when it turns on. My first guess is a leaky vacuum hose but any other suggestions?
Old 02-13-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Vr2587
I decided to do the timing belt since it hadn't been done yet. 3 hours after I dropped it off they texted me saying my cover was completely disintegrated. So that's fixed.

However, now I'm having issues in park. I was parked for a few minutes yesterday when it started acting like it was in overdrive (would run fine, then kick into high gear for a minute, then it would calm down again) and it would lose some power for a second or two. I've also had problems with turning it over and hearing a whoosh sound like air is being pushed out when it turns on. My first guess is a leaky vacuum hose but any other suggestions?
I should add that I don't notice any issues when driving (rpm's drop a little but nothing crazy). Radio was on at the time of loss of power.
Old 02-13-2018
Registered!!

Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Pretty much best and only general owner maintence item for the auto tranny is to drain and fill it with fresh fluid.
unless you know for sure it was done in last 30,000 miles its very possible it’s also 150k miles old.

Your only real vacuum hoses are going to the brake booster and pcv valve, highly doubt you could hear either one of those being off inside the cabin.

Power steering pump can make a good noise if it’s getting low on fluid, not what I would call a whoosh sound though..

I would not disregard a sudden strange new noise after having timing belt just replaced. Consider taking it back to the shop and have them triple check the two main alternator bolts, (not the adjustment bolt).
Old 02-13-2018
Registered!!

Pretty much best and only general owner maintence item for the auto tranny is to drain and fill it with fresh fluid.
unless you know for sure it was done in last 30,000 miles its very possible it’s also 150k miles old.

Your only real vacuum hoses are going to the brake booster and pcv valve, highly doubt you could hear either one of those being off inside the cabin.

Power steering pump can make a good noise if it’s getting low on fluid, not what I would call a whoosh sound though..

I would not disregard a sudden strange new noise after having timing belt just replaced. Consider taking it back to the shop and have them triple check the two main alternator bolts, (not the adjustment bolt).
All fluid levels are fine, I checked yesterday when I got home. The only other thing I can add is that I did have the AC on and I've been having issues with what I assume is the cabin air filter.
Old 02-13-2018
Registered!!

The only issues with a cabin air filter should be smells and or low airflow when fresh air is selected.

What kind of issues?
Old 02-13-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I decided to do the timing belt since it hadn't been done yet. 3 hours after I dropped it off

However, now I'm having issues
take it back for a recheck....maybe someone forgot to finish the work

CEL on?
Clicking relay sounds from the glovebox area?
Old 02-13-2018
Registered!!

The only issues with a cabin air filter should be smells and or low airflow when fresh air is selected.

What kind of issues?
My ac unit makes a squeezing noise when I turn it on/off (whether outside air is circulating or ac is on). I do notice smells like burning oil.
Old 02-13-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
take it back for a recheck....maybe someone forgot to finish the work

CEL on?
Clicking relay sounds from the glovebox area?
I'm planning to take it in this week. Trying for tomorrow but not sure if I will be able to get off work. It just started acting up yesterday :/ CEL light is on but the only code it's throwing is p1457 for evap.
Old 02-13-2018

My ac unit makes a squeezing noise when I turn it on/off (whether outside air is circulating or ac is on). I do notice smells like burning oil.
You mean squealing? Belt probably didn't get tightened enough when the timing belt service was done

Burning oil smell probably is burning oil from leakage (and valve cover was just lifted up to do the timing belt job, possible drips from that), unless you mean burning rubber smell (belt is rubber)
Old 02-14-2018
Registered!!

Just had it at the mechanic all day and they couldn't recreate it. Went to go get gas so I could run some injection cleaner through and as soon as I filled up it wouldn't start right away. Popular opinion seems to be the fuel pump but I had the whole module replaced last year. Any ideas?
Old 02-14-2018

Just had it at the mechanic all day and they couldn't recreate it. Went to go get gas so I could run some injection cleaner through and as soon as I filled up it wouldn't start right away.

Any ideas?
If, for example, the purge valve were stuck open while filling the gas tank, that can allow fuel vapor to be pushed into the intake manifold area which can cause a flooded condition upon the next startup.......

Didn't you say you have an EVAP fault code?

Popular opinion seems to be the fuel pump but I had the whole module replaced last year.
I can count on one hand all the truly bad fuel pumps I've personally had to replace in the last 15 years in Hondas, and have fingers left over.
I can't say they never fail, but IMO Hondas OE electric pumps are damn reliable.

Crap pumps in 'The Big 3' cars and trucks, and crap aftermarket pumps are a different story.
Old 02-14-2018
Registered!!

[QUOTE=ezone;4739784]If, for example, the purge valve were stuck open while filling the gas tank, that can allow fuel vapor to be pushed into the intake manifold area which can cause a flooded condition upon the next startup.......

Didn't you say you have an EVAP fault code?

I can count on one hand all the truly bad fuel pumps I've personally had to replace in the last 15 years in Hondas, and have fingers left over.
I can't say they never fail, but IMO Hondas OE electric pumps are damn reliable.

Crap pumps in 'The Big 3' cars and trucks, and crap aftermarket pumps are a different story.[/QUOTE

I do have an EVAP code going off but the mechanic doesn't seem to think it's related. But they also couldn't reproduce what I've been experiencing so I can only rely so much on that opinion. It's p1457 to be exact and all we know is that it is, of course, an exhaust leak. I'm so confused and frustrated at this point.
Old 02-14-2018

I do have an EVAP code going off but the mechanic doesn't seem to think it's related.
I just explained a very real scenario that does happen in real life......and it can cause the same code.

But they also couldn't reproduce what I've been experiencing so I can only rely so much on that opinion.
Um, yea.

It's p1457 to be exact and all we know is that it is, of course, an exhaust leak.
100% incorrect.
Old 02-19-2018
Registered!!

I just told my mechanic what happened and they are still convinced it has nothing to do with evap and they went so far as to tell me that any evap problem would not affect the way my car drives. I'm getting so frustrated because I just want to make sure my car is safe to drive the 45 minutes to and from one of my jobs three days a week. So I'm going to lay all of my symptoms out on the table here in hopes that someone can help me connect the dots (quite possible that I have several unrelated issues). Forgive my terminology as I try to best describe sounds and odors.

1. Surging when city driving at lower speeds (<45).
2. Hiccupping and rough running while in idle
3. Loss of power after taken out of park and driving <25 mph
4. Occasional clicking when turning the car on (honestly don't remember if it makes any noise other than a fast repetitive clicking).
5. Wouldn't immediately start after filling gas tank.
6. Sounds like air is being pushed out from underneath the car when I start it.
7. Poor gas mileage
8. Gauge doesn't read properly...it'll go down like it's read what I've used then go back after driving a little while...then back down the next day...happens every time I fill the tank and lasts for a few days before it finally settles at about half a tank.

When I'm driving at higher speeds (>45) it runs fine. Every once in a while I smell something similar to burning metal when I'm driving at lower speeds or idling.

​The only code being thrown is p1457 and my battery (about 4 years old now) tested fine.

In the last 3-4 years I've had the alternator, radiator and battery replaced.
In the last 2 years I've had the fuel pump, a radiator fan, transmission mount and spark plugs replaced.
In the last month I've had the timing belt replaced.

​​​​​Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2018

That's quite a shopping list.....appears to be a few different issues going on.
If your mechanic can't even begin to solve any of these problems, then
my mechanic
is broken. Replace mechanic with one who actually fixes cars on purpose.
Old 03-21-2018
Registered!!

So it's been running fine-ish up until day before yesterday. Had a little then a lot of rain and ever since then it's hard to start again.
Old 03-31-2018
Registered!!

mhammond1127 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like something electrical maybe throttle position sensor or idle positioning. Worst case scenario the main computer. But mine did something similar to what yours is doing and mine was a vacuum leak I don’t remember what it was exactly something with blower motor. But it definitely sounds like a vacuum leak. Because that’s what mine did even the maintenance light it all sounds the same. Best of luck!
Old 04-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about

listen to EZONE, or me .. get the problem diagnosed.. change mechanic.
dont throw parts at it.. there is an issue and a problem to be found.
lots of part throwing mechanics out there.. you are almost better off to take it to honda dealership and pay qualified tech to give you right diagnoses the first time.
that's not to say you dont have good techs out there besides dealership.
Old 04-02-2018

Originally Posted by dsm482
lots of part throwing mechanics out there..

that's not to say you dont have good techs out there besides dealership.
Conversely, lots of parts throwing mechanics at dealerships too.

It sometimes takes more than just showing up to get problems solved.