Clutch hydraulic tips

Old 08-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kingcredible is an unknown quantity at this point
Clutch hydraulic tips

Hello all first poster here. I plan to replace the clutch on my 05 civic but was wondering if it was also a good idea to replace the hydraulics. Meaning the steel lines, slave, and master cylinder. Correct me if I’m wrong but my understanding is that the slave & master cylinders are vehicle specific but the clutch lines are not. Can I get some sort of universal clutch lines with the same diameter from the parts store and replace them with those? Or do I have to buy the exact same lines noted in blue arrows in the picture attached? One more inquiry… say I didn’t replace hydraulics and just did the clutch… do I have to adjust the clutch pedal at all? Thanks to everyone in advance
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	clutchamb.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	111573  
Old 08-03-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Clutch hydraulic tips

If you don't live in a rust prone area the lines are probably fine(give them a once over though). You'd just be making way more work and potentially causing a major headache if you don't bleed the clutch system properly. If you do live in the rust belt, make sure to inspect them. If they look really sketchy then you can worry about replacing them. As for the master and slave I'd leave them alone unless there appears to be an issue. What's the mileage on the car? My first 05 that I swapped the trans and did the clutch in had about 250,000kms on it and the clutch line that runs along the fire was getting rusty but it wasn't too bad, I was going to replace the following summer but I ended up writing the car off. All the other lines and hydraulics looked fine though. And I live in Ontario Canada with brutal winters that are very hard on cars.

If you don't touch the hydraulic system you shouldn't have to adjust anything.
The hard lines should be the same as brake line I believe, (could be wrong). You would just have to use the same size line and fittings. The flex line would be specific to the car.
Old 08-03-2017
Registered!!

Car has 266,000 kilometers. It's originally from New England so yeah lots of rust but I'll take your advice and replace them as needed. Just curious, why did you get rid of the car?
Old 08-03-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kingcredible
Car has 266,000 kilometers. It's originally from New England so yeah lots of rust but I'll take your advice and replace them as needed. Just curious, why did you get rid of the car?
It got hit in the right rear corner, insurance company wrote it off. Otherwise I'd still be driving it, the body was super clean. I miss driving stick.
Old 08-06-2017
Registered!!

Seems like that's the only way these civics ever go out. It will be a sad day when I have to get rid of mine.

Search this Thread