Honda civic 2001 dx-sedan AC REPAIRING

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda civic 2001 dx-sedan AC REPAIRING

Originally Posted by gulzarh
just want to solve overheating sh**
I would assess major damage caused by repeated extreme engine overheating: Prove it's blown the head gasket (or worse), then you can sit down and evaluate real costs and make rational decisions about either fixing this car or looking for another.
Old 06-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gulzarh will become famous soon enough

i have uploaded one video just to share with you guys to make sure if i have enough less or high refrigerant in my civic.

Old 06-21-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is it blowing cold air out the dash vents?

I'm not going to evaluate anything without high side and the low side readings together.
Old 06-21-2017
Registered!!

Unfortuanly i am still waiting to receive my high side pressure gauge. it was a mistake to buy on eBay from china.
it does blow cold air only for few min (5min approx). when i increase blower speed it doesnt give cold air but only for let ssay 2 min. after that there only regular air just little bit colder than outside regular air.
somethime i start engine and put ac on, there is not cold air at all, with blower on low or high doesn't matter, i check the low pressure line and it is hot instead of cold. if i turn off engine and restart it than put ac on. than it start giving again cold air for a few min.
this is with engine OFF

Old 06-21-2017

it does blow cold air only for few min (5min approx). when i increase blower speed it doesnt give cold air but only for let ssay 2 min. after that there only regular air just little bit colder than outside regular air.
With the gauge connected to the AC, what does the pressure do when you rev up the engine to 2000ish RPM?

somethime i start engine and put ac on, there is not cold air at all, with blower on low or high doesn't matter, i check the low pressure line and it is hot instead of cold.
When this happens, check if the compressor clutch is engaged (spinning) or disengaged (stopped)
Old 06-21-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
With the gauge connected to the AC, what does the pressure do when you rev up the engine to 2000ish RPM?

i forgot to increase rmp to see. will do it next time. but why increase the rpm to 2000 and check the pressure? what it will do. if i need the ac i should drive always on 2000 rmp? i cant have ac at 720rmp?
normally my at parking position run at 720rpm.
i know i really dont have knowledge about car system.

When this happens, check if the compressor clutch is engaged (spinning) or disengaged (stopped)
i will check it next time.

i am just getting angry why i have not receive the gauge yet. it is almost more than one month now.
Old 06-21-2017

i forgot to increase rmp to see. will do it next time. but why increase the rpm to 2000 and check the pressure? what it will do.
To speed up the compressor.

Same as if you were driving the car (you can't drive down the highway 80 KMH with the engine at 720 RPM)

I just want to know what the pressure does when you rev the engine up.
AC pressure may drop to 20-30 PSI, but it should not pull into a vacuum.

if i need the ac i should drive always on 2000 rmp?
No.
Old 06-22-2017
Registered!!

ok today i ask a little favor to someone who the ac gauges both side.
i make a short videos very bad but it will give u idea about pressure.
when i accelerate it blow the cold air like i was on highway today and was getting cold air about 20min, and the temperature was about 2 degree celcius and outside it was 22 degree celcius.
when the rmp drop than the ac temperature is about 18 degree celcius.

Last edited by gulzarh; 06-24-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-22-2017

OK here's what I see:
First video: I saw roughly 40 (low) and about 210 (high) at idle, but I couldn't tell what the pressures were while the engine RPM was held up (poor focus, blurry)....Maybe reached 300 PSI on the high gauge?

Ambient temp 22C (71*F), I believe the system pressures are far too high, the system appears to be a bit overcharged (too much freon (refrigerant R134A)).

While the high pressure was near 300, a person could use a garden hose to spray cool water on the AC condenser (it is in front of the radiator, spray water through the bumper openings) and the pressure should drop significantly with the water providing additional cooling.

=====

2nd video, the compressor clutch was not engaged at all until about 1:48 when the pressures suddenly changed.
I assume this may be your described 'long period of time' where the AC does not cool at all?
If so, we need to figure out why the compressor was not operating (clutch disengaged)
Were the radiator fans running the entire time (from 0:00 to 1:48)? I could not hear fans in the video, but maybe you could see if they were still on when you were standing there

Then at 1:48 while the engine RPM was held up, and I could tell the compressor kicked on because I saw the low gauge dropped quickly to maybe 10 PSI very briefly and the guy let the engine RPM come down to idle at that time. I suspect this may have stabilized a little higher if the guy didn't let the RPM drop.

=================================

So from the videos I think you have two separate problems:
1) The system has a little too much freon in it,
2) you probably have a second issue with the compressor clutch not engaging for periods of time.

Does this sound accurate to you?

#2: More likely problem with excessive clutch gap and/or bad relay,
Less likely: field coil problem, thermal cutout activating)

How many KMs on this car? 200k+ of bugs and dirt stuck in the front of the car?
I will suggest you hold a bright light behind the radiator fans shining toward the front, then look through the fins of the radiator and condenser to determine if there is a lot of buildup (bugs and road dirt) that may be restricting or blocking airflow through those units. If you don't see much light shining through the fins, you could use a garden hose to 'wash' the condenser and radiator: Squirt water through from the back (engine compartment side) to the front (front bumper side) to wash bugs and road dirt forward and out of the thin little fins.
Old 06-22-2017
Registered!!

it is very hard hard hard to tell where is the problem because if compressor is bad it should not engage at all.

as soon compressor engage, the fans start right way, condesor is full clean no dirt or Junk. the car have 250 000 KM.

i still think the problem is with compressor because sometime it cool sometime not.
for the freon, the mechanic told me he put 1.7lb and this is what this car need so i dont think really, there is too much freon because on the gauge low side you can see it is in blue area near 35psi which seem to be perfect to me, or maybe i am not understanding all the thing.
the guys told me it can be gap between clutch and compressor, but i dont think so because if so, the compressor should not engage clutch everytime. sometime on idle speed it still engage and give cold air like 3 degree celcius.

Last edited by gulzarh; 06-24-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2017

because if compressor is bad it should not engage at all.
Incorrect.

The compressor is just a belt driven pump.
By watching the system pressures during operation, I would judge the pump itself appears to work.

There are many different reasons a compressor assembly might not operate.
There are external parts attached to the compressor, or HVAC system controls could halt compressor operation.
The external parts can be purchased separately if needed.
as soon compressor engage, the fans start right way,
When it works, it works correctly.

But there are times it does not work at all. .
Let's figure out what's happening while it does NOT work.

2nd video in your previous reply, from time 0:00 to 1:47, the compressor clutch was not engaged---as judged by system pressures equalizing.
This is either an electrical problem, a clearance problem, or a control problem.
Some troubleshooting needs to be done in order to pinpoint the exact cause of no clutch engagement.
condesor is full clean no dirt or Junk. the car have 250 000 KM.
Good

i still think the problem is with compressor because sometime it cool sometime not.
Let us isolate the problem a bit further. Let's figure out exactly why the compressor does not operate SOMETIMES.

for the freon, the mechanic told me he put 1.7lb and this is what this car need
That's also incorrect. 1.7 pounds is far too much and certainly explains excessive high side pressure while the system was operating.

2001-2005 cars with 1.7 Litre engine:
AC system capacity is 500-550 grams. (17.6oz-19.4oz)

That is quite a bit less than 1.7 pounds. (1.7 lb = 27.2 oz). System has far too much freon in it.

so i dont think really, there is too much freon because on the gauge low side you can see it is in blue area near 35psi which seem to be perfect to me, or maybe i am not understanding all the thing.
The high side gauge reading is necessary make accurate judgements about the operation of the entire AC system. The low side gauge alone cannot tell a complete story.

The high side gauge is far too high. System is overcharged. Period.

the guys told me it can be gap between clutch and compressor, but i dont think so because if so, the compressor should not engage clutch everytime.
Excessive clutch gap can and will cause intermittent clutch engagement.

The electromagnetic field generated by the field coil weakens with heat, so clutch engagement can be more consistent while the unit is cool but become intermittent or nonexistent as the compressor heats up.

If this is the reason the clutch does not engage sometimes, it COULD entail a simple, nearly zero cost (FREE) repair.

sometime on idle speed it still engage and give cold air like 3 degree celcius.
It works when it works, but sometimes it does not work. I want to figure out why.

Last edited by ezone; 06-23-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-23-2017
Registered!!

thanks you very much for your time i will leak some freon from it to see if it help. good night
Old 06-23-2017

thanks you very much for your time i will leak some freon from it to see if it help. good night
After removing some of the freon,
You still have the intermittent compressor engagement problem that needs figured out and fixed.

These were two separate problems.
Old 07-01-2017
Registered!!

i have received the items about to solve ac problem. i thought they will fit straight but there was missing a quick connector couper so i bought it from newgg, guess what it doesn't fit to hose now. i am just ****ed up.
can someone tell me what i should but now to make the connection please?

i have this red hose
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Car-Air-Condi...72.m2749.l2649

a gauge
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Air-Condition...72.m2749.l2649

and quick connector
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...708.1498950886
Old 07-03-2017
Registered!!

Could anyone help me please?
Old 07-03-2017

If you get your AC shop to correct the amount of freon in the system (because it's overcharged), you shouldn't need the gauge set to figure out the other problem (compressor intermittently stops working).....

But if you insist on having your own AC pressure gauge set, Instead of trying to assemble your own from hodgepodge pieces, just buy a unit that's built for the purpose.

Google search 'r134a manifold gauge set'