02 LX compressor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nasjar44 is an unknown quantity at this point
02 LX compressor replacement

Put new compressor in because it would blow hot when driving,although cold when sitting. Now clutch won't engage. Have 13.7 volts on red wire of connector , but no volts on red/blue OR blue/white, HELP ?? I really don't want to have to take this new comppressor out .
Old 07-06-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 02 LX compressor replacement

Do the radiator fans run when you try to kick the AC on? Big clue there if you know how the system is wired.

You better get your own wiring diagram.
There should be 3 red wires on the compressor side of the connector.
Only one is for the clutch (center wire?).
The other two are for the thermal protector.

On the car side wire harness connector, you got one red wire, right? Whatever you measure on it, the blu/wht wire (with that connector plugged in!) needs to be the same if that protector is still good. If not, it is blown or something. Jumper with a paper clip, see if the fans run now. If the fans run now, then it should be trying to run the compressor clutch with the blu/red wire now.

Did any of that make sense?
Old 07-07-2012
Registered!!

Thanks ezone , helped some but info I gave was incorrect. have 13.8vdc on bl/wht wire and 0 on red. Radiator fan not running. Fuse #4 is good
Old 07-07-2012
Registered!!

Do I have a bad ECM/PCM ? And where is it ? more help please ?

Last edited by Nasjar44; 07-07-2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: adding a note
Old 07-07-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

more help please ?
Calm down, this ain't a chatroom. Some of us DO have a life. (I might not at the moment, but some do.)

Originally Posted by Nasjar44
Do I have a bad ECM/PCM ? And where is it ?
Not bloody likely.
Reading the data from the PCM would be relevant, that would tell if the rest of the HVAC system is making the AC request, and if that request is being carried out by the PCM.
Average Joe ain't gonna get that info from the ChinaZone parking lot code readers.

Do an ohm check across the terminals of the pressure switch on the drier bottle, there should be continuity if the system has freon in it.
Yes?
Ohm check the 2 terminals of the thermal protector. (2 of the 3 red wires at the compressor connector)....Continuity?
Yes?

I'll assume that's a yes to both.
Connect your compressor wires back up.
Pull out your HVAC control panel.
Find the BLUE wire that lives in connector cavity A-4.
With the wiring all hooked up and connected, turn the system on. Ground that wire (paper clip and a jumper wire) see if the AC compressor kicks on.

Last edited by ezone; 07-07-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: 2nd ohm check
Old 07-11-2012
Registered!!

Thank you again ezone. Determined that compressor was not prelubed properly, my son didn't put compressor on end and lube seal w/ 10-12 turns before installation. ( directions right there in box, but hey, he's an aviation mechanic in the army and said he's changed compressors before). So now the job is my own since his leave is over and he's back to protecting the good ole USA, can I get a site that gives me detailed instructions on installing a compressor ? I bought a Haynes ( BIG mistake) and it told me squat. I'd appreciate the help, again.... thanx in advance.
Old 07-11-2012

Originally Posted by Nasjar44
Determined that compressor was not prelubed properly, my son didn't put compressor on end and lube seal w/ 10-12 turns before installation.
Don't be so quick to throw blame here.
This shouldn't have anything at all to do with the clutch not engaging.

Seems like you have gone from "it don't work" to "replace it again" without finding out if the compressor is really at fault or not.
Let me revisit the first post:
Put new compressor in because it would blow hot when driving,although cold when sitting. Now clutch won't engage. Have 13.7 volts on red wire of connector , but no volts on red/blue OR blue/white, HELP ?? I really don't want to have to take this new comppressor out .
So, has this particular compressor ever worked?
Was the system properly recharged with freon after this compressor was installed?
Did you do any of the other checks I mentioned?