$150? For a KEY?

Old 08-11-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point
$150? For a KEY?

Yes, I know that the keys are transponder keys so they are going to be a bit more expensive than a regular key, but seriously, $150?

The stealership quoted me $150 or more to get a new key made. Reason I need a new key is because when I bought the car, it only came with 1 set of keys (the previous owner lost the other set of keys), and I'm worried that I'm going to a) lock the keys in the car, or b) lose my only set of keys.

Is there any way I can cut down on this cost? I've looked for keys on eBay and found some.. has anybody ever bought one of these? Do they work fine?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...s#ht_839wt_681

Also, is it necessary to go to the dealer to get the programming done or can I go to a locksmith?

Thanks
Old 08-12-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: $150? For a KEY?

dealer needs to program the keys to the ecu in the car. i doubt a locksmith has the computer to do it.
Old 08-12-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

i had this exact same problem. i bought my car and the guy gave me one set because he lost the other. i wanted a spare key as well so i went to the dealership and they quoted me i think about 95$.

i was not so concerned with actually losing the key, i was worried that i would lock it in one day or something, so i didnt need the fully functional key. i got them to make a dummy key (it looks the same as your stock key, but it will not turn your car on). it fits in the trunk and doors, even the ignition, but it wont start your car. it only costed 7$

all you have to do is tell the dealership that you want a 'dummy' key. it looks almost identical. if you put it in your ignition your car will try to turn over but it wont turn on. i did that by accident the day they gave me the key. i accidentally tried thinking it was my regular key. no harm done, just didnt turn the car on. i just have it for emergency use on the doors or trunk. thankfully i havent had to use it yet.
Old 08-12-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Our local locksmith has a "transponder keys made" sign in their window. I would make some phone calls.
Old 08-12-2009
Registered!!

CLH2991 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some locksmiths can make the keys, as can some hardware stores. Call around, because they'll be cheaper. We had keys made for our Ford at $40 instead of somewhere around $100.
Old 08-12-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

You should be able to program it yourself if you have 2 keys that work. While one is in the ignition you do a sequence of button presses on the other and you can program the third somehow. That's the way it works in the Dodge Ram, no idea if it translates to the Civic. The instructions for those trucks was in the user manual, maybe there's something in there about your keys.
Old 08-12-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

while one key is in the ignition you push buttons on the other? i dont get it dex....does your key have buttons? or are you talking about programming a remote?

he is only talking about a door entry key i think....maybe im confused.

and as for hardware stores, the only reason i went there in the first place was because i didnt want to spend a lot on a real honda key. i only wanted osmething to open the doors so i thought of a hardware store. they are capable of cutting a dummy key that will fit into and open your doors, but they wont even do that. if they cut you a dummy key and you end up trying to use it to turn the car on and **** something up (even though it wont), they say that they are liable for any damages done to your car. thats what they told me at 3 different places including totem, home depot, and home building center. thats when i decided to go to honda giving in to the fact that i would have to pay about 100$ for a new key, and then the girl told me that the dummy key is only about 7 bucks.
Old 08-12-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by unTuned
while one key is in the ignition you push buttons on the other? i dont get it dex....does your key have buttons? or are you talking about programming a remote?

he is only talking about a door entry key i think....maybe im confused.
Originally Posted by DeX
That's the way it works in the Dodge Ram, no idea if it translates to the Civic.
:beer: