Splash Guards(mud flaps) or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZaTHRaS is an unknown quantity at this point
Splash Guards(mud flaps) or not?

Glad to find you guys, 1st post, don't flame me.

I just picked up a 2003 Civic Si hatchback EP3- Vivid Blue Pearl
It has been lowered, intake, header, and exaust upgraded.
Wanting to get opinions about the splash guards, what do you guys think, Yes or No?

I have them on my '92 EG, they make it look a little more sporty. That's right '92, all stock, drove it off the lot with 11 miles on it. Now it has 287,000. I love this car, will cry when I sell it.

Thanks everybody
Old 04-22-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Re: Splash Guards(mud flaps) or not?

Advantages:
- It will FOR SURE keep lots of rocks, dirt and rock chips off your paint. Especially around your rockers and front bottom area of your doors.
- You can easily remove them for any shows you enter.

Disadvantages:
- Since you're lowered, you're already going to have a tough time with speed bumps and curbs. I find when I come down on the other side of the speed bump, the splash guard is behind the wheel and the entire car compresses the guard down onto the speed bump and I'm worried one day it's going to snap right off.
- The minor bit of movement it does do will rub against the paint and probably look terrible once removed.
- Could take away from the appearance

Overall I decided to leave mine on, I can't afford all the rock chips an dirt on my beauty.
Old 04-22-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ive been running for 5 yrs without flaps and my paint still looks new. i drove alot of freeways and bad winters too. just a few small chips here and there you can hardly tell with touchup paint on em. my front bumper and hood has a ton more chips than the sides.
Old 04-22-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I always put on factory guards from the start. Civics used to come with fronts from the factory and you could buy 2 for the back.

But, I will say that I have seen many old cars that never had flaps and look great.

Being lowered may cause issues though.
Old 04-22-2009
Registered!!

ZaTHRaS is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the response. The lowering was something I had not considered.
Old 04-22-2009
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

Custom make your own mudflaps.
Old 04-23-2009
Registered!!

fiend is an unknown quantity at this point

mine came with mud flaps, ran them for almost a year and then removed them but when i took them off alot of paint came off with them, i used touch up paint but if you look closely you can clearly see the out line of where they were. i don't know if they weren't on tight enough from the factory and it rubbed the paint off or on too tight perhaps, what i do know though is that it's another reason to get a new paint job!
Old 04-28-2009
Registered!!

tknaub is an unknown quantity at this point

i ripped mine off because it rubbed my paint until it started to rust! I was so pissed off, and plus i think it looks better without them!