Safety/Security Items - SRS, Keys, Immobilizer, airbags, ABS Post your safety, security questions here! Airbags, Keys (immobilizer)

Airbag replacement at home from Honda

Old 01-13-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Airbag replacement at home from Honda

Interesting.

I just had two guys knock the door and they were here to replace the airbag on my civic. They have been leaving a note to change the airbag for a few weeks (I was always at work when they stopped by)
looks like Honda is sending team around to replace them at the owners' home.
Can't say about the quality of the service - I had a hip replacement and preparing for the other side, so have not been driving the car, battery is drained (probably a fuse blew last time i turned the engine on, so not only battery...)

anyway, just as information. I accepted their offer to change the bags.
Old 01-13-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Airbag replacement at home from Honda

Wow, don't think they'll be doing that up here, been like -20C the past couple days
Old 01-13-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

nah, it was around -4C today, so not bad
Old 01-13-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Well considering the defective airbags are literally handgrenades pointing at your chest...

Old 01-13-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

well, I have left that waiting since the issue started, some 10 years ago... procastinating... however, i had not have had any accidents since then, or since 2006 (backed into a yellow safety pole at a gas station...)

ah, they did not lock the doors...

wonder if it is the same model... seem reports that they were simply replacing for the same thing, but less issues with moisture over the years.
Old 01-13-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MN-02-CivicEx is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep getting notices for over two years. Am reluctant as it takes two hours and then they'll probably find something else they can find to bill me.
They say it's free, but wonder if anyone has been charged for other work or something else like horn, blinkers or cruise control doesn't work after
they have replaced airbags
Old 01-14-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

You not going to get billed for anything, in fact unless there is a obvious safety issue besides the air bag they won’t do any other tests.

Some dealers will still give you a car wash though.

Old 01-14-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MN-02-CivicEx
Am reluctant as it takes two hours
Once the car actually can get into the shop, the actual work does not take that long.

and then they'll probably find something else they can find to bill me.
Seems like it's unlawful to bill you for work you did not authorize.
OTOH it's our freekin JOB to look your car over and let you know about its needs, and ask for the sale
They say it's free,
Recalls are always free
but wonder if anyone has been charged for other work or something else like horn, blinkers or cruise control doesn't work after
they have replaced airbags
Stuff happens. Check it all out before you leave their parking lot.
If you notice something wrong, take the car back to the dealer immediately to get it resolved in a timely manner.

Don't wait 2 years to take it back and complain that "Ever since you....."

And if your airbag warning light was already on.......

Last edited by ezone; 01-14-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-14-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Wow, they are not playing around!!!

Honda has been sending me ones about my Fit for a while. I had gotten the passenger side done but not the driver since it was recalled later. They sent another notice after it got totaled in the accident with a number to call. I called it and told the lady that it was involved in an accident and was totaled. She wanted to know the claim information and where the car was, if the air bags had gone off. I think they want to make sure its "dead" so they can cross it off their list.

Take the car in. It's their job to inspect it and you can deny any extra work that they want to do.
Old 01-15-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Once the car actually can get into the shop, the actual work does not take that long.
Don't wait 2 years to take it back and complain that "Ever since you....." And if your airbag warning light was already on.......
Sense your frustration and rightly so. When last at dealership i actually told one of the service guys i was thinking of pulling the fuses as annoyed getting those large airbag replacement WARNING notices in the mail every few months for the past few years. I asked this nice service guy if they even have any replacement airbags anymore for my 02 Honda. He said I'm not the only one that keeps getting those large WARNING notices and finally breaks down and has one or both replaced. It sounds like my local dealership still has older Honda owners straggling in every week finally deciding to get them replaced.

Was told a couple months ago by a service rep that both the driver and passenger airbag on my Marysville, OH assembled EX need to be replaced. It takes about two hours. Am headed to dealership this morning. Will enjoy a fancy cup of Joe, perhaps a muffin, or just a couple cookies, watch some TV on their 60" screen, read today's news and perhaps take an apple or orange home with me. With my Chromebook along to keep me occupied the 2 hours will fly by in no time.

PS: Finally was able to unscrew the last seized spark plug (without damaging the threads) using PB Blaster, but it took nearly a year of on and off persistent attempts. Also found out that they were the original platinum plugs as listed in my owners manual. Continued using the original factory plugs and finally installed new plugs this past June as one of the original plugs started to misfire.

Last edited by MN-02-CivicEx; 01-15-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-15-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Don't wait 2 years to take it back and complain that "Ever since you...
... or even 2 weeks. Have an appointment Thursday morning. They scheduled it for 2 hours, but the Service Advisor said, "It will take at least 2 hours" (to replace both airbags). He did say that it has happened where a tech forgot to reconnect the horn wire, but reassured me Honda will do me right. Enjoyed all the goodies ... yum, yum!
Old 02-21-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

found out today that was a team sent by the dealership where i bought the car.

good from them!